Bands whose popularity has never quite crossed The Atlantic Ocean.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Cruse, Jan 22, 2017.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Traffic were popular in the UK/Europe with their first albums with Dave Mason, but not so much in the US. The later 70s albums were big in ths US but did little business in the UK.

2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Kasabian. Huge in the UK, fairly unknown here in the U.S.

I saw them at the Metro in Chicago (capacity 1,100) in 2014, the same year they headlined Glastonbury in the UK.

Nostradamus and CrombyMouse like this.
  3. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Canadian band Saga - big in Europe not so in North America

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

this dude

Sean, Old Rusty and Crimson jon like this.
  5. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

Ultravox were big in the UK during the early eighties, but were barely known in the States.
    The Jam, Kate Bush, The Style Council, Status Quo, Mud, Haircut 100, Kirsty McColl, Altered Images, Big Country and Alison Moyet were other British acts who failed to make much of an impression on the States.

Some American/ Canadian acts like Journey, Boston, Styx, Billy Squier, Pat Benatar, Jefferson Starship, John Mellencamp, Loverboy and Night Ranger failed to make impact on the British charts as well.

Uther and CybrKhatru like this.
  6. sean monaghan

The Cars had two top five hits in Britain with My Best Friends Girl and Drive, while Just What I Needed made the top twenty.

duggan likes this.
  7. sean monaghan

All those bands had fairly decent success on the British charts.

8. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

but not in Germany - Crimson and clover, Sweet cherry wine ,Crystal blue persuasion were all hits here

gotblues likes this.
  9. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

The OP said "Thinking of huge 'Stadium' bands that are big in America but barely sell out a Theatre in the UK."

I don't think any of those were big touring acts here were they?

Besides, the idea is to compare US popularity to UK popularity. Survivor had only one charting album in the UK (reached number 12). How is that decent success? REO Speedwagon had only 2 charting albums in the UK; one at number 6 and the other at 29. In USA they had 3 Gold albums and 5 Platinum albums (one of which went 9 x platinum).

If you're thinking of singles, Survivor had only two hit singles in the UK and REO Speedwagon had three.

You can compare the others for yourself if interested.

ianuaditis and sean monaghan like this.
  10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Ironically, of course, the Dead played some of their best shows in Europe.

bill44, royzak2000, crispi and 2 others like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Apparently Aerosmith did not translate well in the UK in their 70's heyday. Do they now?

dennis the menace likes this.
  12. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc Thread Starter

I take it back!
    I heard from a few boxers that fought at MSG who said it was smaller than they thought it would be. Maybe they were used to Las Vegas stadium sized venues?

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc Thread Starter

They are headlining the last day at the UK's Download Festival this year. Capacity is about 110,000.

coffeetime and GodShifter like this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Speak for yourself :cheers:

15. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

You mean you did like them? Or you did fail to understand them? Or both?!

16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Capacity for the Garden is 19,810 larger than any arena in the UK and Squeeze sold it out.

duggan, Tony Cruse and ianuaditis like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

There used to be a smaller venue inside the MSG complex called The Felt Forum, which was way smaller than the Garden arena. In the 70s and 80s, they had smaller boxing fight bouts there as well as small-sized music concerts there. I saw Chuck Berry there, and I doubt it held more than 1000 or 1500 people. So maybe that is what you are thinking of with regard to MSG being smaller than the Knicks basketball arena, which is the big venue in the MSG complex. The old Felt Forum has been completely redone and is now a theater.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    ianuaditis likes this.
  18. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

John Martyn
    Ground Hogs

Sean and chrisblower like this.
  19. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Big Country had two big hits here: Fields of Fire and In a Big Country. Altered Images got play with Don't Talk To Me About Love. I had those records and knew about them from radio or MTV. I don't think either of those bands were headlining stadiums back home. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

20. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Slade

Comet01, Jarleboy, finslaw and 3 others like this.
  21. thematinggame

I remember The low spark... and Shoot out .... being quie popular at the time in Germany , not chart-topping albums of course but neuther were their earlier ones if I remember correctly

22. thematinggame

Cheap Trick - but am not really sure igf they were popular in Europe or not - I have only heard one song and have never met anyone who owns a CT album

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  23. thematinggame

Bob Seger was quite popular in Germany in the late 197o's early 198o's , but this was a time when we still had AFN and most concert-goers were GI's

24. thematinggame

Those artists were probably better known at home but they were never "big artists "in th UK (or Europe) , can't imagine they ever played in front of more than 500 - 1000 people (festivals excluded)

25. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm sure Bob has a fear of flying and hasn't left the US since the mid 70's. Not touring and associated promotion will have affected his popularity outside the US, but I continued to buy his albums!