Bands with one to zero original members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HoratioH, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Exodus has only one.

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Y&T

MYQ1 and carlwm like this.
  3. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

There's a Steve Priest Sweet with one original member.

melstapler likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:D

ajsmith likes this.
  5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I just noticed that GWAR is coming to my local nightclub. They've been down to zero original members since Dave Brockie died.

melstapler, carlwm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Keen-eyed fans will probably notice, unless the musicians wear masks or something.

7. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Exposé. The popular lineup lineup appears to be back together, but the original members left before the band had any big hits and I don't think have participated since.

8. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Also, Britny Fox has only one original member, and it's not the recognizable lead singer from the late 80's.

9. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Camel has only Andy Latimer from the original line up since the early 80s

10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Did Brunning play on their debut album?

DTK likes this.
  11. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

Apologies if they have already been mentioned, it's too late for me to read the whole thread. But I noticed Humble Pie were coming my way soon except I scarcely recognized any of them, at least not in the Humble Pie I knew. The singer, if it is the same guy, I think I saw him with Cactus a few years ago. He was billed as Savoy Brown's singer, but I didnt even recognize him from them, it must have been a much later reicarnation. It was a great show, I love Cactus, but he was funny. The mic stand twirls and the metal posturing, it looks a little silly when you are approaching or have reached pension age. Correct me if I'm wrong, Im tired, but is there anyone in this version of humble pie who was in the original band?

12. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

They had zero original members in the band when the first lp was released :)

Scott6 likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Brunning plays on Long Grey Mare. He also plays on the single b-side Rambling Pony.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yule was a competent musician who did what Lou Reed told him to. He did a good job but was hardly unique. And it was wrong to continue under the band name; it only happened because Reed was involved in a lawsuit that precluded him from stopping Yule and previous manager Steve Sesnick.
    I also think you're wrong about the "average fan" being unaware of Doug's contributions to the last two albums.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Imposed the brand upon him? What does that mean? :)

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A lawsuit between Lou Reed and Steve Sesnick stipulated that Reed received sole writers credit for all his songs on Loaded, which Sesnick tried to weasle away from him when he left the band. In return, Sesnick got the rights to the VU name.

They are nothing special but worth hearing once or twice, sounds like a fun bar band.

17. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Chris Britton is the last original member in The Troggs (as well as being the last surviving member from the original lineup as well).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Incorrect! bass player Pete Staples is still alive and well, and published his autobiography last year. Well worth a read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Thing-Rocky-Pete-Staples/dp/1910705837

Though Staples was sacked in 1969, he and Chris Britton did finally reunite onstage (with Chip Taylor) in 2015.

Technically, neither Britton nor Staples are original Troggs, as after the other members of their band Ten Feet Five quit, they joined forces with Reg Presley and Ronnie Bond of the competing local group Troggs (who had been left in a similar situation) to form a new group also called The Troggs in 1964, who went onto worldwide success. The other 2 original Troggs were Dave Wright and Howard Mansfield, both now deceased, which means none of the original Troggs are still around.

The Troggs' last founding member, Howard Mansfield, dies

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Just my poorly worded way of expressing what you more accurately explained in your posts. I told you I was waiting for a real fan to show up!

DTK likes this.
  20. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

As much as I hate cover” bands using the name (Blood Sweat & Tears immediately comes to mind),I gotta give King Crimson a pass. Yes, Fripp is the only original member, yet he continues to surround himself with great musicians and keeps creating great stuff allowing the original spirit and intent of KC to continue.

My opinion only, YMMV.

Runicen likes this.
  21. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Didier Malherbe is very much alive as far as I know!

Francis Moze too, since he was on the first album of the trilogy.

22. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I would say no. Solo artists don't really count. True that his band was called "Blizzard of Ozz" at the beginning, but he hasn't used that name for his band since Randy Rhoads died, if not earlier.

BluesOvertookMe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No. Jerry Shirley apparently has some financial interest in the band though. (And the singer is indeed the latter day Cactus guy).

MYQ1 likes this.
  24. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I'm down on the coast for a couple of days. I had the car radio tuned to the Myrtle Beach Beach Music station (worlds only dedicated Beach Music format station I believe) and they were giving away tickets to the Alabama Theater. It was a double bill, The Four Tops and The Temptations. I doubt any of them are original.

25. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

According to Bob Bruning's autobio/account (Blues: The British Connection), he played on 'Long Grey Mare' 0n the first album. Also on 'Ramblin' Pony' and 'I Believe My Time Ain't Long'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.