Bands with one to zero original members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HoratioH, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ugh.... Iron Butterfly officially lost Ron Bushy?

Yet the new group of unknowns STILL claim on their site to be the creators of "In A Gadda Da Vida." Hardly.

Christopher B likes this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The band who currently bills themselves as The Swinging Blue Jeans contains no original members.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The true voice and leader of The Swinging Blue Jeans, Ray Ennis
    [​IMG]
    British rock legend Ray Ennis has aged well in voice and body and continues to tour at age 76. Ennis was leader of British Invasion band The Swinging Blue Jeans until 2010, when he briefly retired and soon discovered a younger member from a later lineup of the group had secretly registered the trademark of the name The Swinging Blue Jeans. Ennis quickly exited retirement and returned to touring, which he continues to do under various names such as Ray Ennis' Original Blue Jeans and Ray Ennis' Blue Jeans. The courts sided in favor of the non-original younger member, because he registered the trademark of the band's name. Sadly, the younger member from a later touring lineup of the group retains complete control of The Swinging Blue Jeans name and continues to perform with no original members whatsoever!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ray Ennis through the years

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Petercheck and darling like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I added a photo of guitarist Ralph Ellis (the gentleman on the far right b&w 60s era). Here's a fun photo:
    [​IMG]

4. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

In the 70s there was a time Phil May was the the only original member of the Pretty Things.

melstapler likes this.
  5. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Oh really? Ian McDonald too??

6. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Thin Lizzy and Quiet Riot are down to one.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Witchy Woman and altaeria like this.
  8. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Tangerine Dream

9. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I suppose “The Glenn Miller Orchestra” doesn’t count.

melstapler, goodiesguy, smoke and 3 others like this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Could you go see the Stones without Mick???

11. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yes, the article doesn’t state that it’s for a full tour but for one concert and then just for a part of it. Still, it’s great they are willing to perform together again.

pocofan likes this.
  12. aeo12

aeo12 Forum Resident

Although membership in Fairport Convention appears to be a lifetime commitment, at least with respect to periodically participating with the band at the annual Cropedy Festival.

anth67 likes this.
  13. IndyLions

IndyLions Forum Resident

I saw them late last summer in Michigan - when they did two mini-reunion shows like that for their 40th anniversary tour - and I thought it was very well done. The current lineup, which has been around since about 2005 played about 90% of their normal set - with Lou Gramm sitting in on a couple of the songs. Then there was a brief intermission, and the Head Games lineup came out and did 4 or 5 songs (very well, I might add). Then the current lineup joined them and they did a couple of encores.

It was the best I'd heard Lou sound since all of his health issues began many years ago. Long, Long Way from Home was definitely a highlight.

14. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Seems so. The band is scheduled to play at a club near me next weekend. Last time they came through, there was a note that Ron Bushy would not be appearing due to a health issue so maybe he has stopped playing altogether at this point. No mention of him anywhere now.

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Actually Quiet Riot doesn’t have any.

Paul L and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Is Terry Sylvester (not original but certainly legit) out of the mix?

melstapler likes this.
  17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

yes but not without Keef

rednedtugent and uzn007 like this.
  18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

This, of course, if you're not counting Bruce Springsteen.

fallbreaks likes this.
  19. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

The Bill Black Combo continued to tour and record even after Bill Black stopped touring with them (he still participated in the recording process) and after he passed away they continued touring and recording. They put out more albums after his death than they did while he was living. The opened for the Beatles, had hits and were instrumental group of the year a couple of times.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    altaeria likes this.
  20. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

seeing the stones in '13 and '16, shows I loved quite a bit, I had the revelation that it was really all about Mick and Charlie, that to a large degree the core essense of many of the songs could be gotten across just by them. Keith tbh plays a real small amount of guitar on stage with them nowadays. I would not pay RS level prices to see a "Rolling Stones" with any less than the three living original members still in the band, but Keith, not as a question of essence of his persona, or his lifelong contribution, but just "what happens on stage at a Stones show now" is the least of the three, imo.

21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Roger McGuinn led a group called the Byrds with a bunch of impostors.

22. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw the (bassist) Jim Kale-only band sometime back in the late 80's...man I tell ya, he really
    nailed them basslines, just like back in '69!! :laugh:

Glenn Christense likes this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

That’s not true. He continued The Byrds after the original members left with new members who were all contributing vocalists and instrumentalists before a reunion of the originals in 1973.The Byrds made almost as many albums with the later incarnation as with the originals (five apiece with one transitional album, and then a reunion album).

Mike Clarke, on the other hand, spent most of the last years of his life as The Byrds with a bunch of nobodies up front.

24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

One original member. Fakes.

25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Hahahaha, you really don’t have a clue, do you?

Jazzmonkie, bekayne and Dudley Morris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.