Bands with one to zero original members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HoratioH, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Thanks for sharing this. Sad story, I had no idea. Terrible that he hasn't been able to enjoy his retirement because of this situation.

goodiesguy, melstapler and groundharp like this.
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The Searchers have been down to one original since 1986.

goodiesguy, melstapler and zen like this.
  3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I guess I don't. The thread is asking for bands with one to zero original members, and the latter day Byrds had one to zero original members. Hopefully you will enlighten me.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

True, but the original members were Robert Wyatt, Kevin Ayres, Mike Ratledge, and Daevid Allen. And as pointed out up thread, Ratledge left in 1976.

SirNoseDVoid likes this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm not...integrity in general is in short supply. :)

6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Calling them ‘impostors’ is pretty dumb, and it’s entirely different to the premise of the thread. They weren’t pretending to be the original lineup; there was a natural evolution of replacement of the original members, and the later members had their own input into the direction and sound of the band.

7. manco

manco Forum Resident

I guess in a world that allows Amazon distribution centers to be virtual slave labor camps, that's a given.

8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I wouldn't calling having an entirely new band a "natural evolution." No one on Dr. Byrds other than Roger was on either Notorious or Sweetheart. Even Roger wasn't Jim anymore. Granted, Clarence played on Younger Than Yesterday. McGuinn later said he regretted using the Byrds' name for that group.

And you don't have to resort to name-calling when you disagree with someone, but I guess that is indicative of where the world is headed.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not mentioned yet: The Sonics. Gerry Roslie and Andy Parpya are still officially bandmembers, but since they don't tour and the band has no plans to record, that doesn't really mean much.

I feel VERY lucky to have seen the Sonics three times when Parpya and Roslie were still there.

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It was a natural evolution in the sense that each member of the Sweetheart group was replaced gradually during 1968: first Parsons, then Kelly and finally Hillman. I wasn't aware of this until I read Johnny Rogan's Byrds bio, which actually contains rare photos of each intermediate line up. In earlier reference works I'd read, such as Pete Frames Rock Family Trees, it's presented as if the entire Sweetheart group other than McGuinn quit at once and McGuinn drafted new guys in en masse.

bekayne likes this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Unfortunately you’re not wrong, his guitar was barely audible when I saw them; still had a great time, though.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Gong

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Son Volt

Only Jay Farrar left out of the originals from the first 3 albums.
    Which is one of the reasons I stopped listening to them since.

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Good call, though Kavus is a good replacement and was endorsed by Daevid. I don’t know how many members of the classic band are still alive? Hillage, Howlett, and Tim Blake?

Caravan are now down to just Pye Hastings after Richard Coughlan's death. Someone more au fait with the Canterbury scene can say whether or not Dave and Richard Sinclair would consider a return to the band.

15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Uriah Heep

16. :wtf:

17. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Hmm, a majority of this message board would probably think the opposite when it comes to Fleetwood Mac.

AndydD likes this.
  18. Molly Hatchet with Bobby Ingram who actually may not even be an original member, but is carries on the tribute band.

19. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I'm halfway intrigued by this new "Humble Pie" as Jimmy Kunes & Bucket Caldwell are in the band.
    Both added greatly to latter day versions of Cactus & Bad Co respectively.

[​IMG]

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If so it is because it is an unusual group here. 99% of the people who have ever heard the name Fleetwood Mac would rather see Buckingham, Nicks and C. McVie than Green, Spencer and Kirwan, and would probably feel they had been scammed if they arrived at a F.Mac concert and the original lineup showed up on stage with no notice to ticket holders buyers that this was who would be playing.

AndydD and JoeRockhead like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, I mentioned them earlier in the thread. Guitarist Mick Box is the only original member left.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i actually prefer the human league mk2, without the heaven 17 members,
    they are doing fine on their own.

most other people seeing them also go for the new members.

later

23. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Oh, Keith is running out of steam? Say it isn't so!

But seriously, wasn't this expected years ago? In '94, I saw the Stones at the opening of their US tour in DC. More than once during the show, Keef went down on one knee following a song, as if he was out of gas. I said to the guys I was with, "He's not going to make it through the show." And yet he did, and still does.

But still, how much longer can he cheat Father Time ?

24. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Eh........ this doesn't seem worth the time. I feel like Humble Pie WAS Steve Marriott. (You could argue "Humble Pie was Marriott and Frampton" - but they carried on long enough without Frampton.)

AndydD, johnod and phillyal1 like this.
  25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The problem is, judging by videos I saw of the "new" Iron Butterfly... they're bad.

It truly feels like a bunch of unknown middle-aged guys at a bar trying to sing a shaky version of "Flowers and Beads."

geo50000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.