Bands Without a Weak or Bad Album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ThePostElectroGranger, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I was gonna say King Crimson too, but I thought some might gawk because Lizard and Islands aren't very well received. I don't like Lizard that much myself, but I like Islands a little more than Lizard. Still, though, for them to have MAYBE one or two bad albums in their 45 years of existence is pretty astonishing.

Jimbino likes this.
  2. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Richard Thompson

jlf, Tom34772, linclink and 2 others like this.
  3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Magazine. Seriously! Even Magic, Murder, and the Weather and their comeback album, No Thyself. They certainly had stronger albums, but I don't consider any of them to be bad or weak.

notesofachord, Gavinyl and xeplica like this.
  4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I like both...The Lizard suite is probably my favourite Crimson piece. While they may be looked at as slightly weak for Crimson standards (although I'd disagree), they are still amazing for non-Crimson standards (if that makes sense).

Aris likes this.
  5. Zach Johnson

Oddly enough, ContruKction is one of my fav Crimson albums. If anything, I'd say Thrak is a little on the weaker side...I thought more could have been done with the 'double-trio' concept.

6. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Lemme jump in and mention the Minutemen.

This Heat likes this.
  7. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

2 Live Crew, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, N.W.A., Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, The Dixie Chicks, Maroon 5, Eddie Money, Winger, The Time

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  8. Her third studio album released a couple of years back is equally as good.

drivingfrog and Grunherz54 like this.
  9. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

That's a strong pick. Hard to say anything the man has been involved with isn't awesome.

10. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

King Crimson was and will always be the first album with its original line-up. Everything after I consider The Robert
    Fripp Band. King Crimson with only one original member is a joke, and simply a marketing ploy. I can just hear the
    meetings Fripp was in with record companies when the rest of the original line-up pretty much told him to go scratch
    when touring with the debut In The Court Of The Crimson King was finished. "If you don't recruit any high profile
    musicians like a Bill Bruford and the like, then we won't back you with any financial aid unless you retain the King
    Crimson moniker along with such high profile musicians, nor will we honor our contract with you as the only one left of
    the very powerful and dynamic King Crimson....."

I might add that the above was long before The Who was Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend & Friends once Keith and John
    were out of the picture...... Gee, once John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page die off, then maybe Robert Plant will consider
    hitting the road "with Led Zeppelin...."

11. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

That record just plain screwed up an otherwise brilliant discography, and that's a shame.

The Miracle and A Kind of Magic were somewhat mediocre as well imo, aside from a couple of tracks.

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

+1 on Talk Talk; from good evolving to greatness! :)

Gavinyl likes this.
  13. Zach Johnson

Well Bruford didn't join until the 5th album, so I'm not sure where Fripp got the financial aid from until then...;)

Where is it a rule that a band must maintain their members? The concept behind King Crimson is that it's ever-changing and evolving. Crimson was even going to continue after Fripp left in 1974, but the powers that be turned the idea down.

Gavinyl and Aris like this.
  14. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident Thread Starter

you're my favorite comedian

15. ThePostElectroGranger

100% true i love the meat puppets and i will stand by the statement of their catalog being flawless.

asdf35 likes this.
  16. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

The Pixies!

Oops! Haven't heard the new one tho

Gavinyl and linclink like this.
  17. ThePostElectroGranger

Superjoint ritual

18. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

XTC has a pretty solid discography.

19. I'd go with all the Richard & Linda Thompson albums for sure!!! And his solo is uniformly pretty great too...but, for me, there's a couple lesser ones, albeit with great moments on them. "Electric" was my fave since "Rumor & Sigh" (though "Mock Tudor" was pretty amazing too).

And if we're adding in solo artists...
    ~Nick Drake
    ~Paul Simon
    ~St. Vincent
    ~Judee Sill
    ~Jimi Hendrix

I'm also close to adding Steely Dan myself but "Everything Must Go" is borderline...a couple great songs, but, for me, clearly the weakest in the catalog, if not exactly a weak album...not sure...
    and I guess The Pixies would make it too technically, yeah...
    The Band maybe, with "Cahoots" in question...The New York Dolls, for sure...and maybe Led Zeppelin maybe too, with "Presence" in question...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    jlf, Gavinyl and audiotom like this.
  20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Peter Gabriel

Norah Jones

Steely Dan

Wilco

St Vincent

Gavinyl, Aris and linclink like this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Indeed Thompson - he also hit high water marks with Fairport

Regarding Steely Dan - Everything Must Go - The Last Mall, Blues Beach, Godwacker and that God Awful thing Becker slang really pulled it down
    still it has so much redeeming stuff on it

if you took the best off of EMG and Morph the Cat ( Great Pagoda of Fun, Night Belongs to Mona, Security Joan) you have one hell of an album

Fagen has had a good run although nothing comes close to The Nightfly

linclink likes this.
  22. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing catches some flack but it gets a pass from me, if only for for 'Exit Only' and 'Latin Roots'
    Van Der Graaf Generator - No duds at all. Even Aerosol Grey Machine (which shouldn't count) isn't really a dud, just atypical.].
    Cardiacs - Not a dud amongst them. Although the idiots at the NME regard them all as duds.
    Aphex Twin - No duds, including all his aliases.
    Autechre - Ditto.
    Cocteau Twins - Maybe the last one was a step down, or maybe just a slightly different direction.

A few people have mentioned Led Zep. 'In Through the Out Door' is definitely weaker than the others but I'd say it's a stretch to call it a dud and personally I love 'Presence'.

23. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Elbow. They might be slow burning albums, but they are consistently high standard.

24. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I'm not sure I can really go with Madness. I'm a fan, but I have to admit that their Mad Not Mad is pretty lame...

Also their Dangermen covers album didn't go over particularly well...

As I say, I am a fan, but I find it hard to consider them as an 'all killer' act when it comes to albums...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.