Bands Without a Weak or Bad Album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ThePostElectroGranger, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well... there is still "Tonight";) Overall Bowie simply has too many spotty albums to be mentioned.

2. Neonbeam

I love Roxy but I think "Manifesto" and "Flesh & Blood" both are minor works.

3. Neonbeam

If Afghan Whigs albums started with "Up In It" and stopped at "1965" you'd be right. But as it is I don't think they fit the bill:(

4. xeplica

xeplica Forum Resident

Ween for sure.. Not a bad album in the bunch (only counting officially released studio albums)

5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

6. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

Not strawman but certainly slightly facetious, but my point remains well made, for sure it is part of their discography (but as indeed are some of the other " strawman " albums I mentioned ) but to include in for purposes of a thread like this to me is misleading at best and at worst from someone who has a problem with the Beatles and so is attempting to diminish them by citing it as an example ( or half an example to be more exact ).

May be a less facetious analogy would be to include the Beatles USA albums for they also fit the criteria selected.....the USA Help / AHDN would for example be almost a perfect comparison to Yellow Sub .....

8. Neonbeam

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

The Long Run is not bad, but it's definitely weak. The three hit singles hold up well, but the surrounding material is very deficient in terms of songwriting and played without any of the punch or fusion you get from the earlier Eagles albums all the way through. "In The City" is a good song, but also a remake of something Walsh did for The Warriors soundtrack the year before, and adding it was a sign the band was on fumes.

Just look at the track list otherwise. The best thing to be said for The Long Run is it made a strong case for breaking the band up.

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Jam
    The Cardigans
    Cream
    Mansun
    Portishead
    Alice in Chains
    The Pixies
    Dire Straits
    The Police

marke likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I like The Long Run so I would include The Eagles. Would add Steely Dan, Dire Straits, The Police and The Beatles. Also would add Genesis as none of their albums are actually bad but a change in style (and lead vocals). Don't think Roxy Music made a bad record. All bands tail off towards the end of their careers or just change to a degree many original fans can't stick with them. Doesn't mean they started making bad records but just not as good as their best ( early releases). The Beatles are the exception - got better and better and went out on a high.

12. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

unfortunately he has with the last one and "Imitations"

13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I think the TM albums were reissued as Bowie albums?? I kind of like the first one actually :)

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Nope.

15. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

Only the first one. But then the first one was never really a proper band album in legal terms anyway. The label copy always said "Made by David Bowie under exclusive licence to EMI Records." And still does.

16. Neonbeam

I thought about Cardigans too but... what about "Super Extra Gravity"? Since there is no vinyl for this album I'm not overtly familiar with it but... some friends of mine don't like it...

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Well, I like it: not a bad or weak album imho.

Not familiar with SEG? You could listen to it on you tube and decide if you want to buy a CD copy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAA619182B4B0347A

...yes, a well mastered vinyl edition would be great

Mal likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

I will wait for an overdue vinyl version. That and original configurations of "Emmerdale" and "Life" would be great. But I guess it will be all or nothing when it comes to Cardigans vinyl (re)issues.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Everything Jay Farrar (Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Jay Farrar solo, with Canyon backing him, with Mark Spencer, Gob Iron, with Ben Gibbard and most certainly with New Multitudes).

As solid a discography as you can find.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

No, we can't. :laugh: Man, that is horrible.

21. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Pink Floyd
    Def Leppard

Nothing weak. Music that is pleasing to my ear.

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

They sound like a generic 80s metal band on that :wtf:

Zeki likes this.
  23. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Miles Davis's 1960s quintet.

dino77 likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I forgot to mention Tears for Fears...

25. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I've really tried to like Mummer. I've listened to it many times, but it just sounds painful to me. Andy's songwriting sounds forced instead of the natural flow and effortlessness his material usually has. His nervous breakdown may have contributed to this, as it sounds like he was trying too hard to overcome his mental state at the time. Part of it may be that it's the follow-up to English Settlement, which is one of their strongest albums ever.

I enjoy every other XTC album but Mummer just leaves me cold.

rockerreds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.