Bands you didn't discover until you were "older"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Young, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

The Specials.
    I've grown to appreciate (and love in some cases) ska and reggae generally...I used to hate them when I was in my teens and twenties.

2. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Spirit, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and the James Gang

mlew and Michael Young like this.
  3. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Henry Cow. I didn't hear them until I was over 40, which is annoying because I missed opportunities to see them in the 1970s.

Michael Young and J Vanarsdale like this.
  4. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I've discovered a lot of the more obscure amazing stuff as I get older.

Such as:
    Stray
    Ash Ra Tempel
    PFM
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
    Can
    High Tide
    Sir Lord Baltimore
    Captain Beyond
    T2

Most of this stuff was impossible to find when I was young

Michael Young likes this.
  5. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

It was because I was weaned on the early Genesis that I could never appreciate the latter Phil Collin's years. I'm afraid even in my aging, the post-PG years still haven't grabbed me. However, I have a number of musical taste changes that have happened as a function of growing:

1. I hated Elton John in the '70's but somehow towards the end of the '80's it all clicked and I discovered great fondness for those '70's era EJ records.

2. My circa 1973 garage band-mates and I played Frisbee with Dick Dale records that a neighbor gave us, "Hey kids, you're into guitar, dig this guy!" We just laughed when we heard them. In the age of Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and The Who, we thought those old surf records were soooo corny. We sailed those surf records high into the air and watched 'em crash to the street. Then in 1979, when Zep and The Who were putting out terrible albums, new wave and punk sounds slowly started to sound appealing. This gateway'd into an embrace of '60's garage rock and early surf music. I now had great appreciation for those old Dick Dale albums and found myself paying 25 clams and up for them in collector stores. -Marty

6. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

The age at which I first started getting into Led Zeppelin, much to the chagrin of my wife, who skipped her prom to see Led Zeppelin in 1977. It drove her crazy that I had no use for them -- and then I did. They're in my "Big 4" with The Beatles, Bowe, and Dylan....who I started to get into in my 40s.

So, Zeppelin in my 30s, Dylan in my 40s, and the big revelation so far in my 50s is The Doors. I HATED them, I mean genuinely hated, until I re-listened to LA Woman's 40th anniversary re-release. Whaddya know, turns out to be a pretty good record. :laugh:

Albums I didn't discover until later is a whole 'nother thread of course, but I was struck by a couple of people mentioning The Who Sell Out upthread. I completely slept on that one at the time -- wasn't (and still am'nt) a fan of "I Can See for Miles" but so much beauty and power here. I absolutely love it now. What changed? The 1995 reissue with stellar bonus tracks.

Reissues really have made a huge difference for me. And box sets! It was Crop Circles what done it for me with Zeppelin, too. I just couldn't get through (what felt like) all the blues tripe on those first two studio albums in one sitting, so I just gave up on the band altogether -- but the equivalent of a 4-disk mix tape from Jimmy Page was a revelation.

Thanks Volkswagen! :righton: I have no respect whatsoever for anyone who says that "Pink Moon" or any other "classic" recording has no place in commercials. It's your opinion, you're entitled to it, I have no grounds to disagree -- but I have no respect for it at all. I just don't. My life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't heard "Pink Moon" in that commercial, and explored all of Nick Drake as a result. I'm forever in its debt.

Not to pull this too far off topic, but I just now looked it up. After this ad (directed beautifully by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Farris) appeared in 1999, Pink Moon shot to #5 on Amazon's best selling albums list. So unless you personally are responsible for putting some other Nick Drake album at #5 or thereabouts on Amazon's list of bestselling albums, I don't want to hear yer yapping on the subject. :magoo::magoo::laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Just last year I discovered Milton Brown & his Musical Brownies (1932-1936)...a.k.a. the Daddy of Western Swing!
    By the way, two of their biggest fans were legendary. They were known as, Bonnie and Clyde.

[​IMG]

"It would be no exaggeration to call the Brownies one of the most important, and most unjustly obscure, of the
    predecessors and forefathers of rock and roll. At the time, there was nobody to compare him to; the figure I'm repeatedly
    reminded of when listening to Brown's impressive chops, natural feel, and inclusive stylistic grasp is Elvis Presley." (Robert Palmer)

Read more: Milton Brown and his Musical Brownies - Article by Robert Palmer »

8. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

Ray Charles - Had some of his stuff from Atlantic Records Reissues, where he'd have 1 or 2 songs per CD/Album. Loved it and even saw him once in concert (late 80's?) . Wasn't till about 5-6 years ago that I listened to all his old stuff and loved it!

Tjazz, mlew and Michael Young like this.
  9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Steven Wilson/ Porcupine Tree

Scope J, Say It Right, Sondek and 2 others like this.
  10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'm not that far behind, but all I had as a kid was Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. It wasn't until after college that I started diving into albums.

Shaddam IV and Michael Young like this.
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Big Star for me also, but in 1992. That was still 20 years too late as far as I was concerned.
    Velvet Underground - statement I made about Big Star applies to them as well

Since the turn of the century:
    Pentangle
    Fairport Convention - I actually got to them via Richard Thompson's Capitol Records period (Mock Tudor and Capitol compilation)
    Steeleye Span
    Nick Drake
    Kinks -- it took me 15 years to get into them, because initially (early '80s) I was disappointed that Kinks Kronikles LP didn't have anything along the same lines as "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night"

mlew and Michael Young like this.
  12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I didn't "discover" Beck or Radiohead until I was in my mid-fifties, as in a couple of years ago :)

Definitely better late than never...

notesofachord and Michael Young like this.
  13. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

AC/DC until I was in my 30s.

Jem, Scope J and Michael Young like this.
  14. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Warren Zevon
    Dan Fogelberg
    Miles Davis
    Johnny Rivers
    Johnny Cash

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Jazz. Lots and lots of jazz.

ohnothimagen, Tjazz, Scope J and 5 others like this.
  16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Love. I saw "Da Capo" in a cutout bin when I was a teen. I did not recognize any of the song titles so I passed. I'm so sorry I did!

"7 and 7 is" I would have recognized had I heard it. "Orange Skies" was played on the FM stations not long after that. I was a big Doors fan at the time, I saw they were on the same label. I could kick myself for not spending $1.99!

Now I play their songs off You Tube. Big orchestra and Spanish sounds against a garage / blues rock band, what a sound!

17. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Two come to mind immediately:
    - Renaissance (and there's a thread going on about that very topic right now)
    - Yes, outside of Fragile and Close to the Edge. Relayer became my favourite Yes album very quickly, and I'm still rationing out more albums to savour them slowly.

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I was late to some hip hop as well - Kanye West I didn't really get into until 2007 or 2008, and some 90's hip hop I didn't really give a chance until later on. Wu-Tang Clan and Nas, for example.

19. Chrsal

Chrsal Forum Resident

Miles Davis and John Coltrane

20. Nick a Drake
    Man (their first two album covers were kind of a turn off to a teenage boy)

Shaddam IV and Michael Young like this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

In my mid 40's now and loving some progressive rock I was "too cool" for back in the day. It all started when I got addicted to Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson a few years ago. Bands I flat out love now:
    Yes-The Yes Album through Relayer
    Genesis-Nursery Cryme through Lamb
    Camel-The Snow Goose
    Jethro Tull after Thick as a Brick. Was always a fan up to that point, but I'm liking the later stuff much much more than I did back in the day. Still digging into the vast amount of seventies prog as we speak.

I've also gained an appreciation for Dylan, Steely Dan, Donovan and some others I didn't dig when I was younger.

Jim Duckworth and Michael Young like this.
  22. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

Metallica (this year, I am 56).

23. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I didn't listen to "Never Mind the Bollocks" until I was in my early 30s back in 2001 or so.

Scope J and Michael Young like this.
  24. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Been buying music since '66 when I was 8 years old, now in my late 50's, just got into Arthur Lee and Love in the last year or two. Better late than never!

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I didn't like The Police back in their heyday. I started to appreciate them by the mid-90s when I was around 35 (so much for ¨older¨ , but you didn't establish a parameter for older so I guessed not a teen but a grown-up). Loved them to bits ever since (esp their 3 first Lps.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.