Bands you didn't discover until you were "older"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Young, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I came to discover John Martyn's late 60's / early 70's output in the mid 90's . A friend I'd been hanging out with played Inside Out on his car cassette deck and it seemed so modern to me I asked him who it was thinking it was a current release. I was gobsmacked when he told me the year the album was released.

Edit: I just wanted to say, whenever I've got into some music/band late there's always a sense of sadness for me that I wasn't there or aware at the time to appreciate it when it happened. I guess it's just an unconscious wish to be young again!

2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The Flaming Lips. When "The Soft Bulletin" came out in 1999 I thought it was their debut album, which actually came out in 1986. And I loved "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" three years later even more. It's my favorite. A band who reach a peak twenty years after their formation... It's not so many of those in rock history. Now, I also like "Clouds Taste Metallic"... for example, but I can't remember it from the year it came out in 1995.

131east23, Fullbug, mlew and 2 others like this.
  3. Michael Young

Michael Young New Member Thread Starter

That's one artist I can't find a good "starting point" with. Every time I try...no go unfortunately

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Tanx and Fullbug like this.
  4. Michael Young

That counts...so does Basie!

5. Michael Young

James Gang and Joe Walsh both for me...

Michael P likes this.
  6. Michael Young

Great story!

7. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I'm 58 and just in the past year or two have discovered Frank Sinatra. Been a great journey discovering all his great Capital era albums!!

Chazzbo13 and Fullbug like this.
  8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I really didn't appreciate Dylan until I was nearly 40. I had the first two greatest hits albums and Blood on the Tracks, but little more than a passing interest in the music. At some point in the mid-90s something was triggered that started me digging in the catalog. Don't remember exactly what that trigger was, but it was either Dylan's connection to the blues or maybe finally hearing "Desolation Row."

9. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I only discovered Yes last month, even though I have been listening to other 'prog' bands like Genesis, King Crimson etc. for years.

SirMarc and Michael Young like this.
  10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Love.
    Always liked their 2 or 3 hits, but around 1999 (35 years old) I discovered Forever Changes, and started really enjoying what Arthur Lee was doing.
    Hit and miss, but always fascinating.

mlew, HarvG, Michael P and 1 other person like this.
  11. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

The two I always think of: Big Star and Love ("Forever Changes"). It wasn't until the dawn of the internet -- and then much, much later -- that I realized I should hear those two albums/groups based on all the recommendations -- and they are two of my favorite albums now.. There are other bands I only heard about after they broke up ("The Soundtrack of our Lives", for example) that I really like, but there might be too many of those bands to list.

12. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

Green On Red last year ( I'm 64 ). sought of dismissed a lot of 80s bands due to being
    a child of the 60's and 70's. Didn't know that Chuck Prophet was in the band as well.

ELO in the past 5 years or so. Didn't care for the prog nature of the music and but now realize that it
    was an evolution of the Move. Now appreciate the influence of Beatles Magical Mystery album
    on a lot of 70s bands. However still not a fan of MMT.

Michael Young likes this.
  13. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Ben Folds
    Phish
    G. Dead
    Superchunk
    Big Star

still don't get Dylan. Where's the groove?

trumpet sounds and Michael Young like this.
  14. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers. Boy, had I been missing out!

15. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Some white boys playing the blues- Ronnie Earl, Tinsley Ellis, & Robben Ford. Didn't know what I had been missing. Oh yeah, and from a whole different genre, Sinatra when I was into my late 50s. Another example of being shortsighted. Very shortsighted.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Michael Young and RogerB like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Blood on the Tracks.

Shaddam IV, Michael Young and RogerB like this.
  17. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Discovered The Beach Boys and Frank Sinatra just shortly before my 40's. I only discovered Gentle Giant this year (I'm now 54).

oldsurferdude and Michael Young like this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Pentangle.
    Jean Ritchie.
    Morricone.
    The Zombies.
    Paul Revere And The Raiders.

trumpet sounds and Michael Young like this.
  19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Interesting post. I discovered both groups (Big Star and Love) around the same time - around 1992. I read glowing reviews of each in The Rolling Stone Record Guide and that was the driver for me. Wish it was earlier for both, but it seems like I did find them pretty early relative to many posters here.

I actually saw Soundtrack of Our Lives in concert around 2001 or 2002 in DC. The big draw for us to see them as their song "Sister Surround".

mlew and Michael Young like this.
  20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

My starting point, after the greatest hits, was Bringing It All Back Home - and that still remains my favorite LP of his.

Michael Young, ianuaditis and RogerB like this.
  21. JRJ

JRJ Forum Resident

Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan. Discovered the Dead this year when I picked up one off their live RSD releases by chance and my brother got me into Dylan a few years ago. So glad I did.
    I just turned 50!
    Cheers;
    John

22. Cornelius D'Ape

Cornelius D'Ape New Member

I am 51, and I seem to go back further in time to discover artists that are "new" to me. Lately it's been guys like Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin and Buddy Rich.

There are so many great albums from the 50's and 60's I never heard of until recently.

oldsurferdude and Michael Young like this.
  23. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The Doors and The Rolling Stones. I knew about both bands since I was a child but never listened. About two years ago I started slowly getting to know their music. Now I am a huge fan of both. There is so much music out there that it can be hard to digest it all sometimes.

24. I discovered The Beach Boys, The Monkees, Queen, The Cowsills and a slew of other bands in my 60s. I knew of them previously and had heard some of their music but hadn't really discovered them. I'm still discovering.

Shaddam IV and Michael Young like this.
  25. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

The Allman Brothers - never heard them or knew anything about them apart from knowing Duane played on Layla and he died. Now in last few years have bought everything up to Eat a Peach including the live box set.

Two others closer to home and time. Joy Divison and the La's. I knew both thanks to the two obvious hit songs when they came out but only in last 3 years have I realised their album genius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.