BANGLA DESH - Film mix vs. album mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member Thread Starter

For those who pay attention to such trivia, I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but....has anyone noticed how much more powerful yet muddy the film mix is vs. the lp/cd mix? There's serious kick in the orig. vhs...notice George's guitar as he rips into Wah Wah...on the album that sounds so totally lame! The weed must have been good when they were doin' that film soundtrack;)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Oh, I noticed that the first time I saw the movie (in Westwood when it opened). The movie mix kicks ass. The LP mix was soooo disappointing to me then (still is).

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Glad you brought this up. I remember seeing the movie and thinking how great it sounded and then going home for a listen only to wonder why it wasn't as exciting anymore.

4. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Not only are the mixes different, but some of the performances are different as well. Also, 'Wah Wah' was edited on the LP (the sax solo was cut), but the film contains the complete performance. I remember running across an ad from the original theatrical release which touted the soundtrack as "SIX CHANNEL SOUND!" However, I haven't been able to confirm that a multi-channel soundtrack exists.

Chip Madinger
    www.8-arms.com

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have the Japanese LaserDisc of this. I will have to listen to it again, and maybe do a CD for the car to compare. I will report back.

I do most of my listening in the car these days! :(

:-jon

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I bought the import DVD (from Hong Kong). it has a 5.1 mix but haven't listened to it that way, just in stereo.

I'm not shure if this DVD version is even still available.

Glad I got it when I did.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the Japanese LD as well. Oblio, you might find the film is 2% too fast. Not like it can't be corrected, but I remember that distinctly.

It's the 90s VHS reissue that rocks.

8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Does anyone know when this title will be rereleased on CD? I heard it was going to be remastered before George's death, but that project seems to be put on hold for now...

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The first disc got a re-do treatment, really just a re-EQ.

"Up to 44 mics at one time". Somehow, a lot of Bob Dylan's performance (D2) doesn't sound that hot. I'd have to check the movie.

The Apple Cd, I'd hate to say, seems to sound better than the LP. When you hear the edit into when Dylan does on, something goes kinda wrong. :(

Attached Files:

10. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Sckott -

I bought my set from a wholesaler before it even hit the street and it has the exact same matrix number.

11. kevin

kevin Senior Member

i have the dvd also the 5.1 mix is pretty good btw

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Did they time compress it? I did not notice when I first got it, but I will check.

:-jon

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

If you have a chance to get the import DVD get it!
    The sound and transfer is awsome in 2 channel.

Joe

14. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

According to VH1.com, the remaster is due for release on 9/30 on the Virgin label.

15. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I believe this information is incorrect. First, rumour has it that George's "new" studio album will be released before any further remasters (supposedly 11/26). Second, although Virgin is now part of the EMI family, no Beatles or Beatles related releases will be appearing on the Virgin imprint. Even though owned by the same parent, the Beatles & solo U.S. catalog 1964-1975 (with the exception of Paul's 1970-1975 recordings) is owned by Capitol.

George MAY have made a deal to get back the rights to his back catalog (1970-1975) from Capitol shortly before he passed away. This is conjecture, but it may have been one of the contract conditions to releasing his new album and the remastered recordings. Time will tell if this is true.

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

That would make sense since the reissue of All Things Must Pass was on his own custom label. I was glad to see someone proclaim the virtues of the VHS issue of Bangladesh on this thread. I was playing this yesterday, and when one plays the VCR sound through a stereo, it actually sounds really good! Far far better than the CD(although a reissue could rectify this). Man, I wish I could have been there. George looks and sounds so good, and the "All-Star(r)" band really cooks. Billy Preston's number especially is a joy. Those were the days!

17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Hopefully both the cd and dvd reissues will include Hear Me Lord and Love Minus Zero/No Limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.