Baptiste - 'The Missing' spin-off

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Derek Slazenger, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll Thread Starter

Watched all six episodes of Baptiste on BBCi player last night. Really enjoyed it. It's the French detective character from 'The Missing' (excellent BBC drama) now living in Amsterdam and looking for another missing girl (played by Tchéky Karyo). Also stars Tom Hollander who might be most familiar as the evil little ******* in 'The Night Manager'. :)

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow - I was NOT impressed with this. I thought The Missing was terrific television; well-acted, suspenseful stuff that always kept me guessing. I can hardly believe this is from the same creative team. So many implausibilities ... from early on in the series.

Disappointed...

3. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I gave up 2/3 of the way in. I missed the multiple timelines and the Baptiste character was always the weak link for me.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

This just started on PBS. If you like programs that try hard for grittiness and world weariness, you may like it.

It irritated me from the start, when a murder is committed on a beach and its only an episode later (and hour and half later) later when we are given half a clue as to what it has to do with story line.

It is interesting though as it casts a harsh look at the legal sex trade in Amsterdam, suggests the Amsterdam cops are on the take, and the makes Romanians the real big bads.

For tender American ears, naughty words are bleeped out.

5. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

We loved "The Missing" and thought Baptiste was not only the star of both seasons, but one of the great TV detectives. Then came the spin-off series, which we thought was awful. I still have nightmares of the footchase scene when limping 60-something Baptiste catches an 18 year-old.

mrjinks and John B Good like this.
  6. John B Good

Well, it seems there is only one episode left in the currently showing series on PBS. I'm hanging in, but it has strained my patience many times.

7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

We've been watching it. :shrug: Don't understand the negativity but have no exposure to previous show it spun off of.

8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Well, that was weird.:sigh:

9. John B Good

The ending? Seemed to be well wrapped up to me. But I couldn't remember how the interpol cop and the red haired girl were related.

10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I like his acting, but thought this show dragged. The last fifteen minutes of the last episode seemed to just tie things up. I have not watched The Missing but will give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.