Barenaked Ladies inducted to Canadian Music Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body Thread Starter

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

30 years! I can remember when their name caused controversy :)

Chemguy likes this.
  3. aphexj

I wonder if they'll perform with Steven at the ceremony? He hasn't sang with the band at all in almost ten years (Andrew has made several guest appearances at their shows, including last year when they were on tour in Moncton where he lives)

4. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

I've never seen a picture of the inside of the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. But I imagine it's very clean.

Sean, Macman and aphexj like this.
  5. aphexj

To paraphrase Monty Python, it's certainly uncontaminated by lousy music!

They'll be in great company joining Oscar Peterson, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, The Band, Leonard Cohen, etc.

basie-fan, Zeki and Chemguy like this.
  6. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

It's aboot time.

7. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

About time. Women have been overlooked for too long.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Unapologetically so.

Sorry about that...

Sean and aphexj like this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ed and Tyler were on ET Canada for a short interview and were very vague about the level of Page participation. AFAIK, they are all friends and there is no bad blood.

I will probably attend this Junos as I went in 1998 and 2009 when they were in Vancouver. I could probably find a way to get comped again. Looking at past HOF inductees I knew it would be something like BNL or Tea Party. Don't laugh, but I'd bet Sloan gets the HOF nod the next time the event is in Atlantic Canada.

10. SoundAdvice

longdist01, Sean and aphexj like this.
  11. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

"Lovers in a Dangerous Time" - Barenaked Ladies, 1992.

12. aphexj

Sloan would be a great choice! But something a little less white bread is probably in line for next year

13. SoundAdvice

Like what, Susan Aglukark or Maestro Fresh Wes?

14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I still prefer the Bruce Cockburn original.

15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Like Dan Hill?......Liberty Silver?......Drake?

I wonder if there's a 25 year wait criteria like the RnR HOF has for eligible inductees.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Good for them.

Band isn't the same w/o Steven.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. aphexj

If there is, how about Kardinal Offishall? He'd be eligible next year

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Now here is a band that I bought up a great deal with Rock Spectacle, Stunt and Maroon. This a band also I have completely fallen out of touch with for some reason. I hardly ever pick up any of these now and listen.

Maybe I will again.........

19. SoundAdvice

[​IMG]

The "Barenaked Ladies" name has not been used in any local Vancouver advertising related to the Junos. Above is the current performer list, the final tally is in the 9-12 performer range. Juno website still list BNL as the HOF inductee for 2018. The all members do a speeches only.

Buble hosted and performed at the 2013 Junos. Seems weird not to perform in his home city, which would be his first ticketed Canadian performance in 4 years.

20. SoundAdvice

10 days away and they finally give formal confirmation of first performance together in over a decade

[​IMG]

aphexj likes this.
  21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The sign doesn't say anything about Andrew Creeggan. Come to think of it, the article linked at the beginning of this thread doesn't say he'll be there either. (He's mentioned only once in the article, in a reference to his departure from the band.) Is there any source from the CMHoF or the band (or Creeggan) saying Andrew will be there (or be inducted in absentia)?

22. SoundAdvice

Diana Krall, Felix Cartal, Shawn Hook, The Jerry Cans, and Barenaked Ladies with Steven Page among those set to take the stage

TORONTO – The next group of artists set to perform at The 2018 JUNO Awards were announced today by the Canadian Academy of Arts and Sciences (CARAS). World-renowned jazz singer, Diana Krall, singer-songwriter and Vancouver local Shawn Hook, and Nunavut indie roots band The Jerry Cans, will take the Rogers Arena stage on March 25, 2018. The JUNO Awards will be broadcast live nationwide 5 p.m. PT / 8 p.m. ET on CBC, CBC Radio and globally on cbcmusic.ca/junos.

Eight-time JUNO Award winner Diana Krall will perform at the 2018 JUNOS after recently announcing the fourth North American leg of her International “Turn Up the Quiet” tour. Multi-platinum pop artist and JUNO Fan Choice Award (Presented by TD) nominee Shawn Hook will grace the stage in his hometown with a special performance honouring MusiCounts. Vancouver DJ Felix Cartal will take the helm as the house DJ for during the event. Cartal earned two JUNO nominations this year including Dance Recording of the Year and Jack Richardson Producer of the Year.

Eight-time JUNO Award winners, Barenaked Ladies – Ed Robertson, Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn and Tyler Stewart – will come together for a one-time special performance alongside former member and co-founder Steven Page as they celebrate their induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. First-time nominees The Jerry Cans will take the stage to perform their hit song Ukiuq (Northern Lights). The band is nominated for two JUNO Awards this year including Breakthrough Group of the Year (Sponsored by FACTOR, the Government of Canada, and Canada’s Private Radio Broadcasters) and Contemporary Roots Album of the Year.

Taking the stage alongside Sarah Harmer and Dallas Green (City and Colour) in this year’s tribute to Gord Downie is Canadian Music Hall of Fame inductee keyboardist Kevin Hearn (Barenaked Ladies). Hearn worked with Downie on his critically acclaimed album Secret Path.

The artists announced today will join performers Arcade Fire, Arkells, Daniel Caesar, Jessie Reyez and Lights as well as the host of the 47th annual JUNO Awards, Michael Buble.

Tickets for The 2018 JUNO Awards are on sale now. Tickets are available starting at $59 (plus fees) through the Rogers Arena Box Office, by phone at 1-855-985-5000 and online at ticketmaster.ca. The JUNO Awards has once again partnered with Plus 1 so that $1 from every ticket is donated to MusiCounts, helping to ensure that children and youth across Canada have access to musical instruments. Plus 1 is a non-profit that partners with touring artists to facilitate a $1 add-on from every concert ticket to go to a cause the artist partner believes in.

The 47th annual JUNO Awards and JUNO Week 2018 will be hosted in Vancouver from March 19 through March 25, 2018, culminating in The JUNO Awards, on Sunday, March 25, at Rogers Arena.

The 2018 JUNO Awards Broadcast is produced by Insight Productions in association with CBC and The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS). Executive Producer is John Brunton for Insight Productions, Allan Reid and Mark Cohon for CARAS and Lindsay Cox is Executive Producer and Supervising Producer, Insight Productions.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  23. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

That article, which appears to be from the Juno Awards' web site, talks about Jim Creeggan, the bassist who is still in the band. His brother Andrew was only on the first two albums. The OP said that BNL "will appear at the Juno Awards ceremony with former members Steven Page & Andrew Creeggan," but I haven't seen any official confirmation about Andrew.

I just now found a Telegraph Journal article from February, saying that Andrew Creeggan "can't wait to re-join his old bandmates on stage in March when the band is inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame at the 2018 Juno Awards," but the Juno web site (quoted above) doesn't say so. The Hall of Fame's own web page about the group shows a photo of the current lineup plus Page, but not Andrew. BNL's own web site is promoting "Barenaked Ladies & Steven Page" at the induction, with a photo of the current lineup plus a photo of page. So the most official sources aren't mentioning Andrew at all. It would be rather a shame if he's left out, especially if he's under the impression that he's being inducted.

24. SoundAdvice

• 9-time JUNO Award Winner and Canadian Music Hall of Fame Inductee Geddy Lee (Rush) will induct Barenaked Ladies alongside original member Steven Page into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame

aphexj likes this.
  25. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I wish Page would return permanently. That is probably the only thing that would ever be able to get me interested in the band again.

gkella likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.