Barnes and Noble Criterion Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by townsend, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

B&N are running their annual Criterion sale. I don't know how long it will run.

Does anyone know if it applies to Criterion titles that are in the stores (as opposed to only being ordered online)? I'm not suggesting that any particular bookstore would have all of the Criterion titles, but they might have a select few, and we would be able to save on the shipping cost by buying a title locally.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes...in store as well, plus if you can find a discount coupon (they usually send a 15% off if you are on their mailing list) you can apply that as well...sale ends August 1st .

townsend likes this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

In addition to saving on shipping cost, if you are a Barnes & Noble member, you get another 10% off in-store purchases (and free express shipping for online purchases). So Criterion discs that are $39.99 MSRP are $19.99 during the sale, but $17.99 in-store for members.

I think a membership is $25/year, and with two Criterion sales a year, I find that it more than pays for itself. I picked up several Criterions yesterday along with a few magazines, and my membership knocked an additional $21.50 off the tab. Your mileage may vary, depending on how frequently you patronize B&N and how much you spend when you do.

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Just noticed it myself. So exciting because I have a wish list of stuff I need to pickup. Also, just noticed Criterion is releasing Terrence Malick's "The New World" later this month. While I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, this makes me very happy. "The Thin Red Line" is one of my personal favorite films ever.

VinylSteals likes this.
  5. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

This is gonna be fun! :goodie:

6. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Yes, I saw them on sale in the store.

7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

As much as I'm dying to get a few titles, namely In a Lonely Place, I'm waiting to buy during criterions 50% off sale to build my points towards the $50 gift card.

8. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Gotta stop at my couple local B&N shops and see if they have the couple films I'm looking for!

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've slowed down a bit on Criterion titles in recent years due to my enormous backlog, but I would like to pick up Watership Down.

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Ordered Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Dr. Strangelove, and Don't Look Now, enough for free shipping.

11. mep

mep Forum Resident

After the last two missed CC - B&N sales (because of deep trouble with their shipping costs to Germany), we´re now back on track and my order has been already shipped. If everything will work out fine, I will pick up round about 10 more BDs at the end of the sale. It runs including 01th of August, right ?

The Graduate 1 $19.99
    Brief Encounter 1 $19.99
    The Kid 1 $19.99
    Monsieur Verdoux 1 $19.99
    Phoenix 1 $19.99
    Great Beauty 1 $19.99
    Criterion Collection: Kennedy Films Of Robert Drew 1 $19.99
    Blue is the Warmest Color 1 $12.49
    Big Chill 1 $19.99
    War Room 1 $19.99
    Limelight $19.99
    Orpheus $19.99

PS: With those 12 new titles I will get to a total amount of 160 CC BDs after two years of collecting them, by the way. 200 is my goal till the end of this year...

12. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

This worked out great for me. In anticipation of the new 4K restoration of Dr. Strangelove issued by Criterion Collection, I gave my son my other Dr. Strangelove blu-ray about three months ago. I walked into B&N, picked up the new disc for 19.99, plus about 1.65 tax, saving on the shipping cost (many online sites have the 19.99 cost, but shipping will add 2.99 or so to total). Hey, remember, no fightin' in the war room.

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

What are the shipping costs now?

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Caught up on a lot of the recent Criterion releases:

In a Lonely Place
    Here Comes Mr. Jordan
    Dr. Strangelove...
    The In-Laws
    The Manchurian Candidate
    Only Angels Have Wings

Now I just have to figure out when I will have time to watch them.

Resisted "The Player", but it still beckons to me when I drive past the store. :)

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I bought the Burroughs documentary and keeping on the theme, Cronenburg's Naked Lunch.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I surrendered and picked up "The Player" ... and "Bicycle Thieves", but I *swear* I am done, now.:help:

17. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

We have very similar tastes. I bought all of those except The In-Laws, which I love, but I chose Don't Look Now instead to complete the breaking of the budget.

18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I was in there yesterday and managed to buy Quadrophenia.

jlf likes this.
  19. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I am done now....I swear....after getting "The Apu Triology", "Late Spring", "Paris, Texas" "Heaven's Gate", "Lola Montes", "The Emigrants/New Land" set and "Carnival of Souls"...I just had to add "Godzilla", so that's coming shortly. The idea of "Godzilla" with the Criterion logo on it is priceless, and it's the first real restoration of the film, so there goes another $20+ :)
    (The bloodletting also included the Herzog box from Shout; otherwise I might have gotten more Crits.)

20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Got Fantastic Planet and The Graduate. Two of my favorites

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.