Barnes & Noble

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vagante, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagante

Vagante Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been purchasing my online records with music Direct and Sound Source with several others that I take a look at occasionally. I've just recently signed up with Barnes & Noble and saw some pretty good deals with 20% off and free shipping. They are now having a sale 30% off free shipping for members. Does anyone know how often the 30% or better comes around during the year? Is this a one shot deal before Christmas or can I expect this later as well? Christmas is getting Tapped Out but this is tempting to buy more

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

The 30% off coupon is pretty infrequent, in my experiences with B&N. I think they may have had one so far this "holiday shopping season". They've had quite a few 20% and several 25%.

3. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Last year they had a 40% one, but I haven't seen it this year unless I missed it! I think the 40% one from last year was closer to Black Friday.

4. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

seems they send different offers to different area's. highest i have seen this season is 25%. where did you see the 30% one?

5. Vagante

I'm in Florida and its good through Thursday

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

They occasionally have 40% off classical CDs and SACDs.

7. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Got a 30% off coupon around Black Friday as well; I'm in the San Jose area (California). I remember the 40% one from last year, but haven't seen anything close to that this year, just the one 30% coupon. Have been getting 25% off coupons, one per week, for the past couple or so weeks, but as a previous poster stated, most have been 20%. You get these coupons just by signing up for the B&N mailing list. As to free shipping, that's only if you are a paid member (membership is $25 per year), or your online order is over $25.00. The one prob I have with B&N is that their prices are less online than in the store -- usually by about a buck and a half. I'd prefer to buy in the store, especially if the order is under $25 as I won't pay for postage, but then I go in the store and pay around a $1.50 more. Also, their in-store stock isn't all that great, but 0nline you can find most titles.

8. Vagante

I live in St Augustine and the Barnes & Noble here it's pretty bad when it comes to vinyl. I rarely can find anything to buy and it's usually something that I almost want. Pretty pathetic showing. Online is the best deal for me

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i like to use the member discount + coupon on B&N exclusives. namely the audiophile jazz releases they've had.

was also the only way i was able to get the latest U2 album on vinyl for a reasonable price.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Their web prices are often better than in store.

11. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Is this the $25/year membership?

12. Vagante

I learned something about Barnes & Noble last night. I was searching for a Frank Sinatra LP and I found two of them online from Barnes & Noble with exactly the same description but a different prices. At first I thought it was the difference of the label but it was not. I called Barnes and Noble and ask them. It appears that Barnes & Noble has independent vendors that post their products on their website much like Amazon. That probably explains the reason why they're online prices are slightly better always then in a store. I am new to their membership and I've ordered a few things but hopefully I can find their best deal online and use the coupon and membership for purchase. I always wondered why they seem to have a much larger inventory then music direct or the other online vendors.

13. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Keep in mind that your B&N membership will get you free shipping online, not an additional 10% off. Also, IIRC those vendors you discovered are not coupon-eligible, nor do they qualify for free shipping.

14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Yes.

15. Vagante

I was in Barnes & Noble today and they told me that the free shipping does apply for members for online sales. In fact she said that is the only thing that I would get with membership online

16. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Confusing as hell. I saw there are third party sellers listed just like Amazon but very limited on who they allow in.

I can understand that they won't be giving any 20-30% discounts off their prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.