Barry Gibb Mythology Tour Thread (Bee Gees)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belushipower, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Me too. I have tickets for the NY show and can't wait!!!

rstamberg likes this.
  2. laura Willoughby

laura Willoughby New Member

Come on down! I'm traveling from Mississippi to Chicago. I feel this is the last chance to see him.

3. Louise Gendron

Louise Gendron New Member

Anyone going to the Boston concert?

4. Louise Gendron

Would anyone like to meet for dinner/drinks before the concert in Boston?

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I like the idea but it won't work for me. I wish the show was on a weekend personally since my work schedule is late on Thurs and I'm a bit worried about getting to the Garden on time actually. Hopefully some other New Englanders can get together with you. Have fun at the show!

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Are you paying for my ticket and my transportation from VA? ;)

Jack likes this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I hope these shows are magical and Barry gets the love he deserves. I think this tour will likely be the last one.

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

9. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

You and me both. I saw the very first show of his 'Mythology' tour here in Sydney, front and centre. It was genuinely one of the most moving concert experiences of my life. Belushipower's comment on the first page that it was 'a living wake' is not far wrong; there was a sadness to the show that Barry never shook, but it felt incredibly cathartic too. There were waves of empathy from the audience rolling onto the stage by the end of the show and it created an unusual energy that I have never experienced at a concert before.

Barry's voice is not what it was, but it didn't matter. The show was so much more than that. The choices he made were profoundly moving but incredibly tasteful, even down to the decision to include his son and other members of the extended Gibb family in the band. 'I Started A Joke' was already a highlight hearing Barry sing Robin's vocal for the first time ever, but when Robin's voice cut through the arena and he appeared on the screen you could sense the entire crowd share a collective shiver. 'Immortality' was prefaced by, essentially, a eulogy for each brother and you could have heard a pin drop when Barry was talking. It was also a privilege to hear songs like 'Kilburn Towers' live, something I never imagined would happen. I would have paid any price to see him, and I more than felt like I got my money's worth.

x

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wish he would have sung this on the much maligned Sgt Pepper soundtrack instead of Frampton!

Are we likely to get a cover on the US leg of this tour?

11. Louise Gendron

Thx! You too!!

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone else surprised he is featuring the beautiful ballad "Kilburn Towers", and yet he chose a different ballad off of Idea for the Mythology boxset (the inferior, imo, "Swan Song")?

I hope KT is still in the set for the US leg!

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Got an email for $85 tix reduced to $50 for Philly show. Does not seem this is selling well. Anyone know of any discounts for Jones Beach show?

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Hoping to see this at Jones Beach if the weather is good. Gonna wing it day of show

PennyLanes likes this.
  15. DJ WILBUR

seems to be lots of tix available for Jones Beach so I'm sure there'll be some discounting before show night if its still light.

the first show is this week!

Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I hate this thread now having to read about ticket discounts in each city. What a poorly planned tour. Instead of six shows in large venues, 12-18 in small arenas or theatres in every section of the country would have been the way to go. Then, scalping would have been the issue.

Plus, I could have gone! Anyway, enjoy the shows those of you getting to go and report back.

17. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Eagerly awaiting the Jones Beach show! I am going with my wife and a buddy of mine and really hope there is a decent crowd there!

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Jeff Lynne producing Barry Gibb makes sense.

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Jeff Lynne, Barry and John Farrar getting together to write and produce a new Olivia album makes an enormous amount of sense to me!

20. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

JUAN CRISTOBAL likes this.
  22. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident Thread Starter

Regarding the Boston show, I'm wondering if he'll do a proper version of Massachusetts rather than the 'leaving the stage' one they did elsewhere?
    I'd say yes!

JeffMo likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice, and good idea on your part. I don't regret traveling to Vegas for the ONO concert given how things turned out.

In checking out the setlists from last fall in England, I wonder if we'll get any surprises on this leg (he did mix some rarities into the set that differed from the Australian leg).

24. DJ WILBUR

do you recall any of the suprises/rarities he's shuffled into the shows from the main set list?

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Upthread Belushipower listed the Australian ones: "Kilburn Towers", "Playdown"

In the UK: "Fight" (from the Bunbury's soundtrack!) and at least one other but can't recall now

Main set in both legs included "Every Christian Lion Hearted Man", "With The Sun In My Eyes" and "On Time"
    Encore in both legs included the excellent "Ordinary Lives"

I would never have expected to hear any of these listed songs played live at this point.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.