Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes film series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tony Stucchio, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

SH#4
    Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Weapon (1942)
    Director – Roy William Neill

Working for the British government, Sherlock Holmes manages to spirit Dr. Franz Tobel out of Switzerland and into England before the GESTAPO are able to get to him. Tobel has devised an immensely accurate bomb site and while he is willing to make it available to the Allies, he insists on manufacturing it himself. Soon however, he vanishes and it is left to Holmes, assisted by the bumbling Dr. Watson, to decipher a coded message he left behind. Holmes soon realizes that he is up against his old nemesis, Professor Moriarty.

The Players
    Basil Rathbone-Sherlock Holmes
    Nigel Bruce-Doctor John H. Watson
    Lionel Atwill-Professor James Moriarty
    Kaaren Verne-Charlotte Eberli
    William Post Jr.-Dr. Franz Tobel
    Dennis Hoey-Inspector Lestrade
    Holmes Herbert-Sir Reginald Bailey
    Mary Gordon-Mrs. Martha Hudson
    Rudolph Anders-Braun (uncredited)
    Ted Billings-Barfly (uncredited)
    Veda Ann Borg-Bar Singer (voice) "aye aye up she rises early in the morning.."
    Paul Bryar-Swiss Waiter
    John Burton-RAF Officer (uncredited)
    Vicki Campbell-Woman RAF Pilot (uncredited)
    Gerard Cavin-Scotland Yard Man (uncredited)
    Harry Cording-Jack Brady (uncredited) “now ain’t that worth a fiver?”
    James Craven-RAF Officer Watching Bombsight Test
    Harold De Becker-Peg Leg (uncredited)
    Leslie Denison-Bobbie (uncredited)
    George Eldredge-Policeman Outside Dewar's (uncredited)
    Paul Fix-Mueller (uncredited) “soon there will be only one language”
    Leyland Hodgson-RAF Officer (uncredited)
    Colin Kenny-Scotland Yard Detective (uncredited)
    Guy Kingsford-Foot Patrolman (uncredited)
    George Burr Macannan-Gottfried (uncredited)
    Michael Mark-George (uncredited) "please guv'ner, I haven't had anything to eat for 2 days"
    Henry Victor-Professor Frederic Hoffner (uncredited)
    Harry Woods-Kurt (uncredited)

Disguises: Book seller, Ram Singh, Hoffner (Holmes)

Locations in England referenced –
    White Cliffs of Dover
    Salisbury Plains
    Sloan Square
    Palace Crescent
    Richmond Bypass
    St. Georges St.
    Angel's Court

Soundtrack songs–
    Drunken Sailor
    sung in the Star and Dagger
    Rule Britannia
    (1740) (uncredited)
    Music by Thomas Augustine Arne
    Played in the score when London is shown
    Sobre las Olas (Over the Waves)
    (1887) (uncredited)
    Music by Juventino Rosas
    Heard as Sherlock Holmes leaves the Golden Hawk

Film Notes:
    Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon was the first film in the Rathbone/Bruce series to be directed by Roy William Neill, and also the first with Dennis Hoey as Lestrade. The film was originally titled "Sherlock Holmes Fights Back." The credits at the beginning state that it is based on Conan Doyle's story "The Adventure of the Dancing Men." The only thing that Conan Doyle's story and this film have in common is that Sherlock Holmes broke a code made up of stick figures ("dancing men"). Whereas the Conan Doyle story concerned the murder of an English gentleman by a gangster from Chicago (who used the code to communicate with his ex-girlfriend, now the gentleman's wife), the film "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon" concerns Professor Moriarty's attempts to get his hands on a revolutionary new bomb site developed by a Swiss scientist, Dr. Tobel. The story takes place during World War II.
    The disguise of an elderly German bookseller is taken from the Arthur Conan Doyle story The Adventure of the Empty House.

Players that appeared in other SH films:
    Lionel Atwill(2nd of 2) – Moriarty
    Holmes Herbert(2nd of 6) Sir Reginald
    Leyland Hodgson(3rd of 7) RAF Officer
    Leslie Denison(2nd of 6) Bobby
    Rudolph Anders(2nd of 2) Braun
    Harry Cording(3rd of 8) Jack Brady
    Harold DeBecker(1st of 4) Peg Leg
    James Craven(1st of 2) RAF Officer
    John Burton(1st of 4) RAF Officer
    Guy Kingsford(1st of 2) Foot Patrolman

Ending quote:

Watson : "Well, this little island is still on the map."
    Holmes: "This fortress built by Nature for herself . . . This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England"(Richard II, Act II, Scene 1)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    rburly likes this.
  2. Anthology123

Technology of the day in Secret Weapon:
    Cars
    Planes
    Ultraviolet photography
    electric eye (Moriarty's secret door trap)
    telephones

3. Anthology123

This is one of two films in the series where Holmes in disguise makes self deprecating remarks about himself to others.
    In this one, he is the old Bookseller (selling a book by Wilhelm Shakespeare, an old German writer). While revealing his plans, he makes it known to the Gestapo members:

Holmes (as bookseller): One last warning: The English schwein will attempt to take Tobel under our very noses. They are sending a stupid, bungling amateur detective. His name is Homes or Holmes or some such foolishness.

4. Anthology123

This is one of four films in the Universal series that fell into public domain. The four are:
    Secret Weapon, Woman In Green, Terror by Night, Dressed To Kill. I often wonder if they really meant to have Pursuit to Algiers go into public domain, as it SH#11 of the 14 films, hence the last 4 Sherlock Holmes films. Why they let those 4 go into PD, who knows.

This film also marks the introduction of Dennis Hoey as Inspector Lestrade. He also, like Nigel Bruce, played not in character with the Conan-Doyle stories, but had to follow the Hollywood formula of intelligence. If Watson had to look dumber than Holmes, then Lestrade had to look even dumber than Watson. Like Nigel Bruce, Dennis Hoey played his Lestrade in a unique and endearing way that was very acceptable and entertaining.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  5. Tony Stucchio

Tony Stucchio Active Member Thread Starter

I thought with the new copyright laws, a lot of works previously in the public domain have now reverted back to the original copyright owners. Is this the case with the Holmes' films?

Anyway, I'm falling behind, and haven't recently watched the last 2 films being discussed, but I must say that after 2 clunkers, starting with SHATSW, they will all be top-notch with the exception of PTA.

6. Anthology123

Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943)
    original title: Sherlock Holmes in the USA

Director – Roy William Neill

Sherlock Holmes is engaged by the Home Office to locate a British subject traveling for his law firm to Washington, D.C. The man had flown to New York City and then took the train to Washington. On the outskirts of the city, the man was kidnapped and has not been seen for several days now. Holmes learns from the Home Office that the man was in fact a government agent who was delivering a highly secret, two page document to the US government. In verifying the contents of his flat, Holmes concludes the document had been reduced to microfilm. The question becomes whether he may have had the opportunity to pass the microfilm to someone else on the train before he was taken.

The Players
    Basil Rathbone-Sherlock Holmes
    Nigel Bruce-Doctor Watson
    Marjorie Lord-Nancy Partridge
    Henry Daniell-William Easter
    George Zucco-Heinrich Hinckel aka Richard Stanley
    John Archer-Naval Lt. Pete Merriam
    Gavin Muir -Mr. Lang, government agent
    Edmund MacDonald-Detective Lt. Grogan
    Don Terry-Howe
    Bradley Page-Cady
    Holmes Herbert-Mr. Ahrens
    Thurston Hall-Senator Henry Babcock
    John Burton-Army Inspector (uncredited)
    Eddie Coke-Airplane Steward (uncredited)
    Evelyn Cook-Nancy's Friend at Engagement Party "...he must think you're already married"
    Caroline Cooke-Mrs. Ruxton (uncredited)
    Kernan Cripps-Hotel Porter (uncredited)
    Leslie Denison-Transport Pilot (uncredited)
    Gilbert Emery-Sir Henry Marchmont (uncredited)
    Alice Fleming-Mrs. Jellison (uncredited) "I'll put you in the blue room..."
    Mary Forbes-Mother Pettibone (uncredited) "such popping and groaning..."
    Mary Gordon-Mrs. Hudson (uncredited)
    Gerald Hamer-Alfred Pettibone aka John Grayson
    Leyland Hodgson-Airport Official (uncredited)
    Colin Kenny-Hotel Doorman (uncredited)
    Alexander Lockwood-Reporter (uncredited)
    Charles Marsh-Reporter (uncredited)
    Thomas Martin-Waiter (uncredited)
    Irving Mitchell-Laboratory Technician (uncredited)
    Clarence Muse-George – Train Porter (uncredited)
    Gene O'Donnell-Reporter (uncredited)
    Jason Robards Sr.-Hotel Doorman (uncredited) "we're expecting you, Mr. Holmes"
    Paul Scott-Army Major (uncredited)
    Margaret Seddon-Miss Pringle (uncredited) "shhh! don't say C-A-T"
    Lee Shumway-Army Major at Engagement Party (uncredited)
    Regina Wallace-Mrs. Partridge (uncredited)
    Phil Warren-Young Officer (uncredited)
    Ian Wolfe-Antique Store Clerk (uncredited)
    Frederick Worlock-Radio Announcer (uncredited)

Disguises –Eccentric art collector (Holmes), John Grayson (Alfred Pettibone)
    Catering staff (Howe), Party Guest (Cady)

Locations referenced in England –
    Croydon AirBase
    Lords Cricket Grounds

Locations referenced in USA
    New York City
    Washington DC
    Union Station
    Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial
    Capitol Building
    Dupont Circle
    Senate office building

Players that appeared in other SH films:
    Gerald Hamer (1st of 5) Pettibone/Grayson
    Ian Wolfe (1st of 4) Antique Shop Clerk
    Frederick Worlock (1st of 6) Radio Announcer
    George Zucco (2nd of 2) Richard Stanley/Heinrich Henkel
    Henry Danielle (2nd of 3) William Easter
    Mary Forbes (2nd of 3) Mrs. Pettibone
    Holmes Herbert (3rd of 6) Ahrens
    Leyland Hodgson (4th of 7) Airport Official

end quote:
    Holmes: "It is not given for us to peer into the mysteries of the future. But in the days to come, the British and American people for their own safety and the good of all will walk together in majesty and justice and in peace."

Film Notes:
    The train situation has a tinge of historical accuracy. The Southern Senator Babcock always called the Porter ‘George’, in reference to the George Pullman trains and the predominantly black porters. To be fair, the Senator did tip the porter with a cigar upon leaving the train. Clarence Muse dialogue worked well with Rathbone during the rail car investigation scene.

Marjorie Lord (who later appeared in the TV series "Make Room For Daddy") was married in real life to her on-screen fiance played by John Archer. They are the parents of Anne Archer, who has appeared opposite Harrison Ford in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger.

This is the first appearance of Ian Wolfe, who has appeared in future TV series Star Trek and WKRP in Cincinnati.

Oscar Homolka was originally cast in this film as Holmes's elder brother Mycroft. He quit the part due to family issues, and Mycroft's character was replaced by "Mr. Ahrens", portrayed by Holmes Herbert.

George Zucco is the 2nd actor to appear in both the Fox series and the Universal series. First, as Moriarty in the Adventures Of and also In Washington.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  7. Anthology123

One of the advantages of being in the present day, it was plausible for Holmes and Watson to make a trip to the US. This seemed inevitable, since the film series was made in Hollywood. Of course, later films in this series would take place in Canada (Scarlet Claw).

In Washington marks the first appearance of Bertram Milhauser as a principal screenwriter. IMO, he was the main reason the screenplays were so much better, starting with In Washington through the Woman in Green. Milhauser and director Neill seems to also enhance the stories with their share of creepy story aspects in later films, such as the Lycosa Carnivori spider, the glowing apparition, the Hoxton Creeper.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  8. Anthology123

Two other locations (real or fiction) I did not mention for In Washington are:
    British Embassy
    Hotel Metropol

other film notes: It was this film that Holmes was constantly using some new catchphrase that went "oh, by the by". I thought maybe this was a clever alternative to "oh, by the way".

The dubbed German version released in 1959 removed all Nazi references from the dialogue. The story of this edited version is about gangsters trying to get hold of a secret medicine formula that could be dangerous if in the wrong hands.

modern technology of the day:
    cars
    planes
    modern trains
    modern cameras
    microfilm
    forensics lab

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  9. Anthology123

Is anyone still interesting in this film by film discussion? I don't mind posting the info about each film, but if no one wants to talk about it, the posts will end. I have the information for the rest of the films waiting to go, but I will not post them until there are at least a few comments on each film.

10. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I would like it to go on. I have more to say about later films. SH in Washington is less familiar to me.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Start a new thread. The OP was a troll who was banned for having several identities. Why he did that, don't know.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the story was that Universal sold all the Holmes films rights to a TV distributor, and at some point somebody just forgot to renew the copyright. I suspect you could make a case that the music might still copyrighted in some countries.

13. Anthology123

Okay, I'll start a new thread with film #6, Sherlock Holmes Faces Death, starting on Sunday.
    I'll finish up with In Washington on this thread.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    kevinsinnott likes this.
  14. Anthology123

Sherlock Holmes in Washington was more of a spy thriller than a crime sleuth story. Holmes portrayed his adversaries as an insidious international group with resources everywhere. The people involved certainly got to the point by always saying "we know what to do" and they usually did it. There were a lot of little details in this film that may require repeated viewings to spot.
    Upon exiting the train, you can see the Porter standing in front of Nancy and her fiancé talking about their plans, Babcock handing "George" a cigar as a tip. Later on, when Nancy is talking to Stanley, her hair is slightly out of place, which makes sense for someone who was carried in a carpet roll. What I always wondered was when Nancy finally realized Grayson had given her the matchbook, she decides not to tell Stanley about it, and even to the point of being tortured by the thug Howe. Of course, that would have ended the story, but why she held the secret is a mystery. I do like how Holmes has changed his priorities going from finding the document, to rescuing Nancy Partridge instead. Of course, he knew the document was safe, in the matchbook Stanley was holding, so he could directly put Nancy as the priority.
    This film, like Secret Weapon employs a ruse-like trap for the antagonist, where you think Holmes get captured but in fact, he let himself get captured at the end, a long setup in order for Stanley to hand him the matchbook when asking for a cigarette. This will happen in later films, but in some cases he does get captured beyond his control, which is something that never happened in the novels, but this is Hollywood and they always need to have just a dash of peril to draw in audiences.
    It's ironic that the first 3 films out of Universal deal with World War II, the Nazis in Voice of Terror and Secret Weapon, almost like an Indiana Jones of that day.

Favorite lines:
    Senator Babcock - Used to know a man named Grayson, mighty fine fellow - he was murdered.

Holmes - $2300 fiddlesticks! You charge $2300 for something that isn't even worth $600, what chicanery, what skullduggery!

sami likes this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I watched the whole series on blu ray over the weekend. Loved them:cheers:

16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I wonder if that was The Music Box. Supposedly, the negative of reel #3 is missing, and when the Laurel & Hardy shorts were released on DVD in Europe, they had to use some other source for the last reel. I remember the transition was really jarring, all of a sudden the image became really washed out. I think the US DVD is better, but it's still noticeable. A shame for that to happen to one of their greatest shorts. Glad it exists at all, though!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, I'm 100% sure these were silents. I was never able to do any Laurel & Hardy sound shorts or features (sadly).

18. MarkTheShark

There is a horror story regarding the fate of the L&H silent negatives, which occurred in the last decade or less. Probably well after you handled them. You've probably heard it. It involves nitrate negatives being stored long-term in a California garage.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No! That's awful if true. I can't remember who we did the transfers for, but it was not a studio per se -- I think it was a distributor who had somehow wound up with the TV rights for a few years. We were all very freaked when I opened one can and it looked like the insides of a space alien. Nitrate film in that condition is very, very, very dangerous. And this was about 30 years ago...

20. MarkTheShark

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10717#p75642

One bizarre, off the wall question occurred to me, and I apologize for taking this off topic.

I have read that for many silent films, they would have two cameras running side by side simultaneously to provide two negatives, one domestic and one for Europe.

Wasn't 3-D done in a similar way?

I know for instance, Blackhawk Films released "Big Business" a couple times using different camera negatives as the source. Not that the world is clamoring for something like this, but could a *** 3-D *** version of "Big Business" be created from these close-but-not-exactly-identical negatives?

I know very little about how this stuff works, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. But I think it would be interesting if possible.

Yeah, I know, why not add dialogue (as was done with "Double Whoopee") and colorize them too. That's not what I'm talking about here.

21. Steve Hoffman

It's been tried, yes. I saw about 3 minutes of a Chaplin outtake from CITY LIGHTS where they used both the A camera and B camera footage and projected as 3D. Was about the greatest 3 minutes of movie footage I've ever seen. Practically fainted dead away (as did the rest of us). The 3D was perfect, I mean, amazing.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  22. MarkTheShark

Maybe it's not as crazy an idea as I thought! Thanks, would love to have seen that!

23. Steve Hoffman

It's along the same idea as this: Get the NBC and CBS broadcast feed of this press conference from 1938, sync up and true stereo! FDR.jpg

MarkTheShark and kevinsinnott like this.
  24. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I have all 14 restored films in the DVD UK-Box and the four movies in colour. Now I've ordered the BluRay Box. Just love those films.

rburly and kevinsinnott like this.
  25. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Almost a year later. How about now? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.