Bass on Rolling Stones remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul L., Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member Thread Starter

Does anyone here know what the bass was like on the master tapes?

I recall some Rolling Stone or another years ago talking about how there was no bass on the early Stones records.

I'm wondering if this Stone (maybe Wyman) said this out of surprise, like he didn't realize all the bass was mixed out, because it was on the master tapes?

I bring this up because Luke has said things about the bass being up 10 notches, etc., but that is compared to other releases and not to the masters, I'm assuming. And while I'm guessing, I bet the bass on the reissues reflects the levels on the masters.

2. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Many record company reel to reel setups included a built in limiter, compresser and low pass filter to eliminate low bass. This made mastering a vinal record much easier (one that would play on the realy cheap record players without returns). True for Columbia don't know about the practice in the UK.

Richard.

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

This brings back a really pathetic but true story.

When the Eagles' The Long Run came out on vinyl here (Canada) many complained about the excessive LF groove modulation causing mistracking.
    A record company exec in responding to complaints about this said:

"Canadians can't afford good enough turntables (tonearms & cartridge's) to track the record".

A true blue corporate response.

4. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know why that's funny, but it is!

5. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

I once loved this nice young lady in 1965. I gave her my prized Ian and Sylvia album. She put it on her good old American turntable and after adding penny or two to the end of the arm it would stay in the grove. After a few plays to wear in the agressive groves it tracked just fine. We broke up; love has its limits.

Richard.

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Richard,

My Vanguard CD of Ian and Sylvia says that the bass was deliberately rolled off on the original LP pressings (this CD claims that now you can hear it in all its glory).
    Had the bass not been reduced, the young lady might have had to resort to quarters..........

John

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

It's funny because it is true. It's the same STERLING pressing as the US got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.