Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

The premier of this new series is on now. Somewhat interesting so far. They are using the original Psycho house on the hill. Interesting premise for the show......providing the backstory of what happened prior to the Psycho movie.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The young boy that plays Norman Bates in this series was on Jimmy Fallon the other night and he said that they built an exact replica of the Psycho house, up in Vancouver Canada, to use for the show. Jimmy then asked him if he had ever been out to the Universal lot and tour and he said no, which bummed both me and Jimmy, because we are both impressed that the original house still stands out there and we think that's cool!

I'd like to add, that I was originally psyched about this show until that kid told the story about the replica house and that fact alone immediately killed it for me and I've now lost ALL interest in this new series!

I did read that the actors playing mother and son are very good, but my interest has always been in the house and the motel and "replicas" just don't get it.

3. rockclassics

Thanks for the backstory on the set. Its a shame they didn't use the original. I guess universal wanted too much to use it.

4. rockclassics

Pretty good first episode. I'll give it a few more episodes to see how it goes.

JimC likes this.
  5. It's alway cheaper to shoot in Canada. The first five seasons of x files was shot in Vancouver as are many many others. It not about that location it is about all crew costs and the rest of the production.

And I don't want to be a spoiler but....mom dies.

rockclassics likes this.
  6. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Not a bad first episode. We'll keep watching.

7. rockclassics

Mom dies....good one.

Maybe I missed it but I suspect mom did in dad in tonight's. Episode? Her reaction seemed to indicate that was the case.

And since when did Norman have an older brother?

8. rockclassics

You might want to reconsider and give the show a shot. I understand your frustration but it looks like the show maybe pretty good.....IMO.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

http://yvrshoots.com/2012/11/bates-motel-set-in-aldergrove-just-like-hitchcocks-psycho.html

Below:1st shot = Original; 2nd = Canadian version. Some details -- roof situation aside -- do not quite match.
    [​IMG]
    bm10.9872.jpg

10. And they play vinyl. Beast of Burdon.and Radiohead. This is now our mothers Norman Bates

11. Texting at the Bates Motel

12. MLutthans

Two more comparison photos. First, the current Universal sign, then the Canadian one, then the 1960 one from the film:
    universal-bates-motel--large-msg-121746370142.jpg bm1.654.jpg Ominous-Bates-Motel-Sign-psycho-6552165-500-375.jpg

13. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Nope. That stuff creeps me out.

14. MLutthans

The new version, under construction from here:
    Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 11.13.21 PM.jpg

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Nice opening episode. I like the kid, and Vera Farmiga is perfect for this role. Only thing I didn't like was Nestor Carbonell as the cop. I know its California, but how many small town cops wear eyeliner? I know he says he doesn't wear it. Not sure I believe that, but whether he does or doesn't, he certainly looks like he does, which makes it bad casting.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I know, it's supposed to be a reboot/rethink, but in "Psycho," the Bates Motel was somewhere between Phoenix and Los Angeles, and yet there appeared to be a seashore in this town. It perturbed me.

I also think setting the show in the present day, but with Norman and his mother inhabiting the same creepy, fusty Victorian house and rundown mid-20th century motel, creates a weird disjunctive mood. But then that may be what they're going for. Who in their right mind would buy a property like that in the 21st century? But then, the Bateses aren't known for being in their right mind.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks to forum member "MLutthans", for the adding the photos of old vs. new, in regards to the Psycho House and Bates Motel. I realize that these are mostly just facades and that real interior scenes are usually shot in a real studio, but I always find these things fascinating!

I have mentioned this before, but, about ten years ago my wife and I lucked our way onto the old Columbia/Screen Gems backlot (now it's owned by Warner Brothers and is called "The Warner Ranch"). On that wonderful small piece of prime L.A. real estate, is my television childhood and when we visited, idiot me, only had a cheap throwaway camera, with about 6 pictures left in the camera! I have so badly wanted to re-visit the lot, but this time with a proper camera, but I sadly have no connection to anybody that can get me in! (P.S. Anyone reading this that can help me get on that lot, I'll be in L.A. next month, please PM me!)

Here, for those of you who may have missed it the first time around, is yours truly, standing in front of the "Bewitched" house (actually it's just a 30 or so foot deep facade) ...

Bewitched Facade.jpg

MikeInFla and JimC like this.
  18. rockclassics

So I guess all rooms at the Bates Motel now have Wi-Fi? :agree:

sound chaser and Mazzy like this.
  19. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

20. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I liked the first episode enough to continue tuning in.

21. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

What a way to get easily disenchanted!

22. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Ed Gein, whom Psycho was loosely based on, did have an older brother according to his Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

23. Actually I did enjoy the show but we shall see where it goes. I sort of wish that it was done in the time period which would have been the 50s. I think the art direction could have been really cool and without cell phones, texts, and so on. Of course they had to throw in them playing a vinyl LP.... But that would cost more. Doing a period piece with cars, clothes, locations and set dressing would have added to their budget. But it would have been so much cooler...

Get2Me likes this.
  24. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I agree. I didn't watch the premiere episode but based on the promos and this thread, I don't quite understand the mix of old and new in the set and scripting.

From what I can glean, it looks as though the producers wanted a vintage feel but with modern sensibilities. OK, lots of people buy run down, outdated houses and decades old buildings are often retro-fitted, remodeled, and updated for today's use. However, this straddling of eras only creates confusion in my mind mainly because this is billed as a prequel. For that to be entirely true, Bates Motel would definitely have to be set in the 50s, so that the episodes could realistically build toward the eventual plot of Psycho.

Setting the show in modern times, the series could never blend seamlessly into that Hitchcock classic, unless Bates Motel plans to remake their own small screen version of Psycho, when the plot calls for it, and move beyond the events of the original source material/inspiration. That might be cool. Sort of. :confused: It's certainly a story I never thought begged to be told.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. rockclassics

Interesting idea and I wouldn't put it past them. If they go down this route, then what? Norman is captured at the end of the original Psycho movie. Maybe he doesn't get captured this time and continues in his ways?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.