Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

With Bob Paris out of the way, I don't think it will matter anymore.

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

No they were not explained completely......only that he killed them. I suspect they just knew too much and one of them took the flash drive with all the info about the drug organization.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I can't complain too much about the season finale (other than that the seasons are too short; and I have some actual legit gripes about that; it's not just a way to hyperbolically mention how much I like the show), it's still one of the best show among the ones I've tried on TV in recent years.

Some very interesting stuff going on. The writers are doing a good job of continuing to pull Norman between progtagonist and antagonist. You do indeed still have moments of feeling bad for him. One of the very obvious yet very interesting questions that they certainly want to keep ambiguous: Is Normal crazy because he's just inherently crazy, and that madness takes the form of his Mother (whether talking to the imaginary Mother or "becoming" her), or is part of it that it is his Mother that has made him crazy? She's obviously kind or (or very) nuts herself.

I thought the thing with Norman in the basement came off a bit hasty and rushed; a lot more creepiness could have been accomplished there. Instead, it was a quick and unseen exit. I actually thought Dylan might be getting the axe from Norman in the basement.

As for Bradley, very mixed feelings on that. Even if you don't particularly like the character, it seemed a bit anticlimactic to just have *that* done to her so abruptly, especially when it was the "obvious" thing that could happen. It would have been more interesting (though more cruel to her character I suppose) to have them spend the "off season" together and re-bond more, and *then* have Norman do his thing. But perhaps they don't want Normal to be that unlikeable just yet; they'd rather have the victims slowly go from people he only knows a bit, to people he used to know but has been estranged, and then eventually lead up to his Mother.

I'm also surprised they still haven't gone all-out and had some sort of epic make-out scene with Norman and Norma or something, even if only in his mind. But I guess they have to save something for the next season.

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I thought it was a pretty good finale. I also am going to hate the long wait for only 10 more episodes.

The bit with Bradley I think was fairly easy to see coming, especially with her having faked her death and with Norman's "problem." For me, they've pretty much established that Norman is schizophrenic. They've also used what I was taught in the 70s about the "schizophrenogenic mother." The thinking was that mothers were capable of creating schizophrenia by their behavior. An example would be slapping a child in the face while saying "I love you so much." Even though it's been debunked as a theory, the writers are using it to the hilt. Norman has at least a few kills under his belt, and the writers are building it so that it's not much a stretch at all for Norman to kill his mother. I would expect that to happen next season.

It's been a very good show and I'll miss watching it on Monday nights. There's so little to look forward to on TV as it is.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not sure whether it's ambiguity or inconsistency. I feel like Norman flip-flops between seeming like a basically good kid with a dark side he has no control over, and a more consciously malevolent character. And that makes it difficult for Freddie Highmore to play the character coherently.

However, I've gotten very used to him in the role. I was at a rep theatre the other day and saw a trailer for Psycho, and was surprised that it seemed slightly odd to see someone else playing Norman Bates!

6. well
    Well Hannibal is coming back. The best looking , written and acted creepy show on TV

Lonson likes this.
  7. And White Pine Bay continues its dominance of having the highest murder per capita rate in the USA.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

As a casual viewer of the show I found it a rather weak way to end a season, the whole thing seemed sloppily put together.

My wife is a devout viewer and was totally unimpressed.

9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I was surprised nobody ever fell in the 23 foot pit that was dug up in front of the motel.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I don't understand why it was dug.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I guess we'll have to wait until next season for an explanation of the 23 foot deep hole.

I think overall season 3 was better than season 2. I enjoyed it well enough, though honestly I'm still not jumping up and down with excitement about the show, but it's reasonably entertaining time-killer.

12. Maybe the girl (captive) who ran into the woods in the first season will fall into it.

Shawn likes this.
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it was basically just Bob Paris f--king with Norma. She asked for a pool -- he built her a suspiciously deep pit. He was sending her a message.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    progrocker71 likes this.
  14. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Active Member

I enjoy the various back stories EXCEPT for Norman. Can't stand him

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't crazy about this season. I'm not sure exactly why, but I never seemed to settle into it. Maybe it was the minimal number of episodes; maybe it was the time spent on plotlines that seemingly accomplished little and/or were left unresolved.

16. progrocker71

Season 3 contained the same # of episodes as season 1 & 2.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe that pit is where Bob Paris is going to end up after the sheriff shot him.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I wasn't trying to imply it was fewer episodes than previous seasons, just a limited number episodes in general.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Having dealt with family members that desperately needed help with mental health issues but refused, this was a difficult episode. I was convinced that Dylan was going to get it in the basement.

Only 40+ more weeks. :cry:

rburly likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

Bradley doesn't count because as far as anyone else is concerned she was already dead. I'm not sure how the Romero is going to explain Bob Paris, though he did get away with shooting the other guy in the garage basement a few weeks back. You'd think that would raise questions.

21. Have any of the multiple murders in this town ever raised questions? Has anyone ever gone to jail for killing someone here?

22. DreadPikathulhu

Do they even have a town jail?

23. progrocker71

But he disposed of the body by dropping it off in Bob Paris' driveway...so nobody found out about it, guess Bob Paris found a hole somewhere to chuck him in.

White Pine Bay has nothing on the murder rate of Mystic Falls, Virginia (The Vampire Diaries).

24. DreadPikathulhu

Maybe Romero can do Norma a favor and fill in her "swimming pool". It would be fitting for Paris to end up at the bottom of it.

25. progrocker71

That'll be in the first episode next season.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.