Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

2. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Emma is just a babe!!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I bought my wife the season 5 dvd for xmas and we aggressively plowed through it in the new year. I'm always kinda unmotivated when we start but I quickly get hooked and was very into this season. I reckoned with addition of baby they wouldn't let poor Dylan get killed and he and Emma would ride off into the sunset (and they almost LITERALLY do just that). Overall, I'm glad my wife's friend hipped her to this show because we did enjoy it very much. And I'm a person who rarely watches tv shows.

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Finally started watching this show because it showed up on my Netflix feed. Awesome! I won't ready any of this thread though so I don't stumble on spoilers. So far I find it incredibly interesting and I'm only on the 3rd episode of the 1st season.

In the early 70's we went to Universal. I was too small to remember but my brothers told me they were creeped out at the set when the saw it. Is the set still there and do they use the same one in the show that they used in the movie?

agentalbert and Lewisboogie like this.
  5. MikeInFla

Well I have to say I enjoyed this series after having just watched it over the past 3 weeks. I downloaded several episodes at a time from Netflix and watched it while working out. No idea how I missed it during it's original run. But I am going to miss my new "friends", Norma, Norman, Emma, Romero, Chick and especially Dylan. At first I thought his character was quite annoying but he seemed to mature more as the series went on.

What is also interesting is reading this thread for the first time (I am only up to page 10). It's kind of cool to read people's reactions to episodes and speculation of what might happen next.

It's different than the movie and I expected it to be different. I kind of thought the ending would catch up with the movie and have Norman sitting in custody with a fly on his face after killing Marion.... Then (after what happened with Marion) I expected to see Norman with the fly on his face after killing Sam.

I liked Romero as well. I don't think he was a bad cop, just a regular dude in a bad situation. Some of the storylines seemed to be a little meaningless and ended abruptly (Norma getting introduced to the higher class citizens, flirting with then rejecting George) but overall this was an excellent series. I also would've liked more explaination of Dr. Edward's disappearance.

It's also odd that Norman had no male friends his own age (with the exception of Julian which I feel Norman didn't like very much).

Well, back to reading the thread. Wish I would've been around "in real time" but as I said it is kind of cool reading speculations about what might happen next.

One error I noticed while watching (and since I binged watched it, it was probably easier to catch because it was fresh in my mind). When Romero brings the new TV into the house he is watching the Oregon/Tennessee game. In the last episode when Dylan is at the bar the same game is playing on TV there.

Marble Index and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

The problem with this series, which I thought was generally very good was the
    fact that, with that ending, they denied themselves the opportunity to give us their take on Psycho 2, which, to my mind was nearly as good as, if different to, the first film.

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don’t think the show was really popular enough for them to plan to revive it in twenty years time... by that time there will be some other take on Psycho out there.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You asked this weeks ago but... the original Psycho set is still there on the Universal lot but Bates Motel was filmed in Langley, BC, outside Vancouver.

9. MikeInFla

Yeah, I read that when I started at the beginning of the thread last night. When I found this thread I went straight to the bottom without reading anything because I didn't want any spoilers. I returned to the thread when I finished the series. I really like how it all wrapped up without an open ended ending. Still catching up on this thread, haven't had a lot of time for it today. Still on page 11.

rburly likes this.
  10. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Great show, but I thought the last part of it brought it down. The way the police chief and Norman's brother acted in the final season or two just didn't ring true. Wasn't buying it.

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Bates Motel = Vera Farmiga = :edthumbs:

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. MikeInFla

OK, finally finished the entire thread and it was quite a good read. I enjoyed everyone's comments and speculations. Kind of sad it has all come to an end. I really wish Chick would've been one of the ones who made it out alive. He was an interesting character and there was really no reason for Romero to do what he did only to imply he (Romero) was off his rocker.

Sometime I need to catch Pyscho on TCM (if it even airs on there). Would also like to see Psycho II as I don't remember anything about it.

Great, great show and I don't know how I missed it during it's original run but at least I didn't have to wait a year for 10 more episodes!

JimW likes this.
  13. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

It aired at least once and iirc twice on there during the show's run. Don't think I've seen it on there since though, but would be surprised if it doesn't show up again before too long.

Bingeing is so much fun, but you do miss being able to talk about it with others if you see it when aired.

MikeInFla likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Psycho airs often on TCM. The sequels are shown there occasionally but rarely. I’ve never seen any of them myself.

JimW and MikeInFla like this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The first two are worthwhile, but events in Bates Motel invalidate them. None of them are awful.

JimW likes this.
  16. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I preferred the first sequel to the Hitchcock film. It’s more of a straightforward thriller but a very good one, and Perkins turns in equally good performances in both films. 3 reeks of ‘straight of video’ (not sure if it was) but it’s not awful. I haven’t seen 4 all the way through but it didn’t start well and I couldn’t tell you whether or not there was a fifth installment without skulking off to Wikipedia.

JimW likes this.
  17. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Bates Motel is an entirely different entity so nothing is invalid.

18. DreadPikathulhu

True. It’s been a while since the season ended.

19. DreadPikathulhu

Bates Motel (1987) , which is the only one I haven’t seen.

20. MikeInFla

I actually saw parts of this one when I was in high school. Don't remember much about it. I was at my girlfriend's house (high school girlfriend, no idea where she is now) and she had it turned on. I remember thinking it was quite strange.

21. MikeInFla

Looks pretty lame. I didn't realize Jason Bateman was in it.

22. DreadPikathulhu

I finally caught Bates Motel (1987) and watched it with mixed feelings.

The first hour focuses on Bud Cort, a friend of Norman Bates at the asylum, being willed the Bates Motel after Norman’s death. He takes the urn filled with Norman’s ashes and renovates the motel, modernizing it with a southwest theme and a diner. The scenes with Cort talking to Norman’s urn are a hoot. Lori Petty (Tank Girl) also shows up as the street-wise love interest. This is, by far, the best part of the movie and I recommend that you cut it off about where the setup for the series ends.

The second hour is where the proposed TV series picks up and focus on an older, suicidal woman and a bunch of partying teenagers, including her romance with teen Jason Bateman. Bud Cort and Lori Petty barely appear. There is very Scooby-Do ending where the ghost of “Mother” is unmasked.

Awful. About on par with the Friday the 13th TV series of the same era.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    MikeInFla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.