Bathing At Baxter's Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

I have the 1989 remaster of The Airplane's Bathing At Baxter's, and I hear a lot of speed fluctuations in some fof the individual instrument tracks( one being the piano). Can anyone enlighten me as to what had happened to these masters. Steve feel free to chime in.

2. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

RCA ended up doing an overhaul of that title (and only that title) in November 1989 after numerous complaints. It was re-indexed also.

According to engineer John Snyder in ICE - he "thought" that it might be the "tape splices that caused the tape-drag"

Of course, the title was remastered again in the mid/late 90's.

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Thanks, David. Any comments on the newer remaster?

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

If you still play vinyl, seek out an original pressing. I've owned both versions of the CD - dry, sparse sound with no depth at all (SOME on the vinyl).

Can anyone comment on the recent reissue of Surrealistic Pillow? I have the DCC Hoffman-autographed vinyl version of this, and can't imagine it sounding better anywhere else.

5. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

Well, the orig. mono is TDF and I couldn't imagine a stereo copy being better, but check out the RCA gold cd, it has both the mono and stereo and it's not bad (but this album cries out for a remix of the multi-tracks, with orig. members going for a close approximation of the orig mix without all the stereo echo.

Baxter's is much better on the remaster from the mid-90's. An absolutely stellar album with some incredible performances, Baxter's remains my fave Plane;)
    This one, too, needs a remix from the multi's. I can't say I'm too fond of orig 1st pressings U.S. RCA. This is a hard one to find sounding good, so I vote for the 90's remaster as the best available (tho mono mixes of this album are also incredible...good luck finding one) and the quad tracks from these lps on the quad 8-track of WORST OF are the best of all:)

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Baxter's if my favorite, too, and by a mile. As for the Gold CD of Surrealist, ahem, I'm sorry to say that I have it, and it sounds pretty bad to these ears. I'm beginning to think that good sounding airplane albums just don't exist, although Blows Against The Empire sounds pretty good...

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Can anyone comment on the recent Airplane 2001 remasters with the additional tracks that was manufactured in Spain?

BTW - Saw Jorma at the J&R Jazz Festival (Have not seen him since 1977!!) on Thursday. Great Show.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have long given up trying to find decent sounding Airplane, so I just keep my 70's Orange label RCA. It sounds as good as anything I have heard.

Love the original packaging for "The Worst Of Jefferson Airplane", with the album cover and inner sleeve(and label)resembling an old 78.

Grace Slick was quite the looker in those days!:love:

9. syogusr

syogusr New Member

\

I think S. Pillow is quite good on the new remaster, but IMO, MFSL Volunteers can't be beat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.