"Batman" (Adam West TV show) on DVD Update

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John DeAngelis, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Good luck with that

2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

No joke, I had a dream a couple nights ago that I was hired to work on the Batman DVDs. My job was -- get this -- to go through every episode and make sure that the few seconds of "PLACE COMMERCIAL HERE" was present at all the breaks!

Bummer that a scene was dropped (apparently due to a technical glitch) from an episode. Hopefully they will fix it. It's frustrating, and even though it's a small thing, it's frustrating to read that they dropped most of the next week villain previews. It's minor, but it was part of the Batman TV experience and they were right there on the masters, right? Well...here's the other thing. This was Warner doing a set using elements they had to get from Fox. So who knows what Warner had access to, and what versions? I'm reading reports of an episode that does have the "next week villain" left in, and it doesn't match the copy I have -- they likely have multiple versions of each. Possibly the originally aired one, the summer rerun version, and who knows how many later syndicated edits from different eras. So I guess I can't get too upset about it. Some of the copies I have, the next week villain thing is silent, as is the "batboat, batcopter etc." segment from the end of the Archer episode. It gives me the impression that whenever they created that particular set of video masters (I first saw them in Chicago around 1984) maybe in some cases they had the picture part of one version and the soundtrack of another -- leading to silent teasers and one showing the Mad Hatter while the announcer says it's the Joker.

It's frustrating. Just for my own use I have been attempting to reconstruct the first three seasons of SCTV, which never made it to DVD. Assembling them in truly complete form is an impossible task and I know that. Talk about a jigsaw puzzle. There are the 1984 re-edited Blair Entertainment syndicated versions, the 1988 re-re-edited Rhodes Productions syndicated versions, the later WIC versions (which dropped or edited a lot of skits for music rights reasons), and then there are variations of each for the US and Canada, all of which have different content and one skit will be missing from one but restored in another. Then figure in cuts made by whatever channel was showing them. I wish I had a DVD recorder in the 1970s...

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I know! it seems the practice of screwing us in those mega box sets is now acceptable? not including present parties.

4. Michael

me too!...did you get a complete corrected Fugitive Box?...

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

December 16 WB is releasing the swagless BD set here in the US. The packaging is identical to the German set but with an English episode guide (obviously). Hopefully those sets will have the missing scene put back in and those of us who bought the limited set and the batmanondvd.com version will get replacements.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Chad & Jeremy performed some song I'm not familiar with, seemed uncut, but if it isn't, I'm sure some dweeb will correct me.
    Lesley Gore just did California Nights, and the costume she wears is very complimentary to her figure, esp. in HD. :evil:

modrevolve likes this.
  7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Not to get off Batpoint, but is there such a beast and how do you tell?

8. Myke

If you exchange PMs, it won't be off Battopic.

9. Michael

yes there is! a complete corrected box!
    a YELLOW UPC sticker has the corrected complete series. YELLOW STICKER # 0 97361 47854 8 is placed over the original white UPC sticker...the YELLOW sticker does not have an ISBN #...the white UPC has the same numbers just that it's white plus the ISBN# is on top.

LSP2003 likes this.
  10. It is happening far sooner than I imagined. I guess they saw the number of people importing that edition from Europe and decided to cut off those sales fairly quickly. There is not enough time to press corrected discs and make that release date, if they intend to fix the missing scene.

11. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

So the Italian version of the Blu-Ray set is only $63..that's an incredible deal?!?!
    I guess the only drawback being the booklet is in Italian.

12. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Watched the first two adventures tonight, looks incredible. The line cut from some b**t versions said by Penguin and Batman's fertile mind is uncut. One question though: Batman says they figure out the Batbrella is bugged from Penguin quoting them when they kidnap Dawn from the penthouse. But in the Bat cave Batman says they'll put salt on that birds tail, but Penguin references having Penguin egg on their face. What quote tips off the Dynamic Duo then??

13. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Jill St. John in bluray, Holy Hard as the Bat Diamond!

lukejosephchung and woody like this.
  14. She really does look AMAZING in that 2-part pilot episode with Frank Gorshin as the Riddler, doesn't she... :love::bigeek:

tdavis0903 likes this.
  15. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I feel the same. Many of us grew up with this show when it first aired. And I'm sure we remember EVERY scene from the episodes. The insult was they had the gall to say it was unedited. Glad enough bit**ed to make a corrected set happen.

16. Myke

If you're referring to Batman, there has been no mention of a " corrected " set.

17. MYKE, I think they've been diverting this thread to a discussion about "The Fugitive" on DVD...:p

18. Myke

And that would be threadcrapping, and hijacking, now wouldn't it ? I've reported the Fugitive posts, and it just keeps on.

19. Michael

yes, I too watched this show when I was a kid faithfully very week! Damn! I loved it! Especially on our new Color TV...the geared the clothes for great color back then...everything popped!

20. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

21. I'm glad a cheaper version is coming out so quickly. I think many fans were probably waiting on a version without all the swag (though I love my Hot Wheels "Batmobile":p) and long-suffering fans will get to see it sooner, rather than later. When you redeem the UV digital copy on VUDU, they include the bonus features as well.

Myke likes this.
  22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Sorry, in my excitement, mis-read the post. I'm sure a "fixed" set is coming down the road.

23. Myke

Likely not, for a grand total of 2 minutes. The OCDs are going to have to eat it this time.

chacha and lv70smusic like this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I can't image that big of a price drop..considering the dvd set goes for $139.00. Would they really sell the no frills blu-ray set for less then that?

25. Myke

$216. at Amazon : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/118859/

I paid only $150., then sold the UV code for $50. So I've got the sealed toys and such for only $100. :angel:

lukejosephchung likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.