Batman Begins

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Zack Dixon, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I agree. Great casting too.

Bring on the DVD... and the sequel.

2. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I wanted to add that i go to see this in IMAX today. It ended up being much better looking and sounding then when i saw it in a first run high quality theater. There was simply wayyy more dynamic range in the soundtrack and great low nearly infrasonic bass. Whatever they are doing with there "DMR" process is definitely working. The IMAX presentation had several aspects of the picture and sound that appeared better to me then the conventional version I had seen. I say appeared because there could have been other factors unknown to me, at any rate the IMAX had much smoother overall look to the film with less grain even though the actual image was larger, better detail in the backgrounds of midrange shots and closeup shots, better black level detail and shadow details (and this movie is all about blacks). The better sound and the better picture definitely increased my enjoyment of the film. If you have a chance to see it in IMAX or want to see it again then give the IMAX version a shot.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It is interesting how far the Batman franchise fell. At one point this would have been the Summer blockbuster to see. But its now sandwiched in between this Summer's two blockbusters (Revenge Of The Sith and War Of The Worlds).

I'm glad to hear that the franchise has been saved by this new version.

It was terrible how bad Batman and Robin was made.

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I agree with all the positive reviews! The same goes for Sith!

I was expecting the worst from both of these and instead walked away very happy indeed. Christian Bale is perfect in the role and the supporting cast is very impressive.

5. Best Batman movie i've seen! Very dark :D I know a few kids who would be terrified lol

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised this movie didn't do better at the box office this weekend. I mean, $47 million is nothing to sniff at, but I expected it to be massive. I'm betting it will have better legs than some of the other summer blockbusters, though, due to good word of mouth.

7. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Saw it Sunday. Thought it was great.

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'll bet those numbers are skewed due to the Wednesday release date. If you add in those days, the numbers are pretty impressive.

9. Katie Holmes Dropped from 'Batman' Sequel

Batman may begin for some, but it ends here for Katie Holmes. Warner is some p*ssed at her and her engagement antics with Tom Cruise.

From IMDB Moive/TV News.

Holmes Dropped from 'Batman' Sequel

Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman have signed to star in a second Batman movie, but love interest Katie Holmes has been dropped. Movie bosses are thrilled with the response to Batman Begins - it took $46.9 million in its first weekend at the US box office - and have snapped up the film's stars for a sequel. Bale as Batman was the first to put pen to paper, followed by Caine as butler Alfred and Freeman as Bruce Wayne's business associate Lucius Fox. But Holmes won't reprise her role as district attorney Rachel Dawes - reportedly because Warner Bros is angry her engagement to Tom Cruise has stolen media attention away from the movie. A source tells Pagesix.Com, "Everyone is in agreement that the movie's strength is with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman." Adding of Holmes, "She won't be in the sequel... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress. Warner is happy that people are now focusing on who'll be playing the Joker rather than Katie and Tom."

On the upside, Katie will have more time to spend on her Scientology studies. :rolleyes:

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Best career move she ever made, hooking up with Tom. Did anyone care about her before this?

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Does anyone care about her now, other than using her as the punch-line for a bunch of Scientology jokes?

This engagement cost her participation in the hottest film franchise out there.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There was a different love interest in every other Batman (and Indiana Jones, and James Bond) film, I don't see why this should be any different.

13. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Those other Batman films were pretty bad. Batman doesn't need a love interest (like, say, Spiderman or Superman, where Mary Jane and Lois Lane, respectively, are actually important).
    Batman Begins already established that he's not really a playboy at heart (wereas the previous film Batmen were, to some degree).

James Bond is a playboy and even womaniser, he has to be a lot of different women.

14. RDK

RDK Active Member

I knew Warners was gonna be pissed at Katie when, on Letterman last week, Dave asked her if she was rooting for her film (Batman) or Tom's film (War of Worlds) to win at the box office. An easy question for any H'wood star (if only to laugh and evade), but Katie cheerfully announced "I have to root for my man."

Geez, for a group (Scientology) that disdains drugs, why do some of its members act so stoned?

Sheesh, even Paramount is pissed at Tom's media stunt re: War.

15. RDK

RDK Active Member

btw (i got sidetracked :laugh: ), but a big :righton: for Batman Begins. Easily the best Batman film ever. Somebody finally got it right...

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Bruce Wayne was never really a womanizer - he played the role of the playboy to keep people from suspecting he's Batman...

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I loved this film. I was very surprised by how good it was. The storyline, while starting a bit slow, was really great at providing some additional detail and setting a psychological backdrop. My only critique was that the action scenes seemed done up in too close a fashion. A wider angle would have been much nicer but this was a quality movie.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That would be interesting! :D

19. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Re: the fight scenes

They made the creative decision to show Batman as more of a force than a man fighting people. This is the best decision as it visually synchs with the plot themes. Like the way he picked off those guys at the docks was perfect- you could barely actually see Batman. Like a horror flick.

Though I do think they should have made a couple of exception:
    - The opening sequence in the prison. He's not yet Batman and so it would have been nice to just see Bruce Wayne in action properly.
    - The end fight with Al Ghul. In this scence I felt that it was a more a re-match between old friends/foes, not just Batman vs some baddie, and an all-out old-school brawl (and where we could actually see it) would have been a great way for Wayne to say goodbye to his old ways and fly off to forever become the dark spirit we saw at the docks.

My idea for the sequel- the Joker is a disturbing and disturbed serial ciminalist. For the first hour or so we see Batman tracking him and piecing together clues (and thus an homage to the detective aspect of the character in the comics). Also would be a great way to have lots of Gary Oldman. Do the whole thing in the style of Se7en. As Batman starts to get on the trail, the action and story pick up and we see Wayne finally grow into his Batman skin.
    No love interests.

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Saw it tonight and liked it very, very much. I liked the integrity of the movie. The theme of fear that ran through it was an excellent idea. The sometimes chaotic movements of Batman and displays of emotion were very welcome. I'll see it again. :thumbsup:

21. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I agree that this is a great Batman movie. By far better than the earlier films, IMO.

What a great cast! I hope to see it at least one more time on the big screen.

I love the cast except for Katie Holmes. I wish her the best, but I hope to never see another film with her in it. The whole "goo goo eyes" and "crooked smile" thing grew very tiresome, and the "nipples of steel" silk shirt in her final scene was irritating.

Still, anyone with any interest in Batman should be sure to see this film!

22. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, very distracting and out of character with the rest of the movie.

John K.

23. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I noticed them but they didn't distract me. I guess I'm neither pro-nipple nor anti-nipple...I'm a neutral nippler or nipple neutral, as long as they aren't on the Bat suit. :D

Honestly I'm not too aware of the Hollywood celeb scene and didn't know Katie Holmes. Without this prior bias, I thought she was fine. I like the ending which had resolution without necessarily a happy ending. She never struck me as not belonging in the film.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Glover would be the first actor to play the Joker who's more nuts in real life than the character! :D

25. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I agree. It is a very good movie. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.