Batman TV Series Finally Coming to DVD/Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pawnmower, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I HIGHLY recommend the Blu rays. Look and sound great ! Buy with confidence.

Vanguardsman likes this.
  2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

No, I dropped the ball on that, sorry I haven't followed up. Still interested.

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Just a couple of things...

I recently visited a friend who had bought the Batman complete series set. It's the version with the script and the letter from Adam West, and also includes the 1966 movie and the Adam West Naked DVD. Out of curiosity we checked it to see if it was the "corrected" version or not. It was not. The episode "Marsha's Scheme Of Diamonds" was indeed missing the final scene, but oddly enough, it did include the "next week's villain" teaser (for Shame). And the first episode ("Hi Diddle Riddle") did not have the opening narration (although the second part, "Smack In The Middle," did). But I noticed something odd: The picture portion appears to be all the same, but when they got to the 20th Century-Fox end logo (and only an anorak like me would notice this) the visuals are original, but the audio of the Fox fanfare was from the current (?) syndicated version like you would hear now on reruns. So they probably transferred these from the original negatives as far as the visuals, but maybe grabbed whatever was handy for the soundtracks? I wonder if this could have something to do with the missing "next week villain" tags on the majority of the episodes: maybe the audio was not present on whatever source they used, and if it wasn't there they just dropped them.

Another oddball thing I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere: I got the seasons as they were released individually. When I saw them in reruns over the years, the third season shows all had a shorter version of the end Fox logo compared to the first two seasons. But for some reason, this is replaced with the earlier (longer) fanfare on the DVDs as if they are all cut on from a different source.

Odd.

klownschool likes this.
  4. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident

The final episode aired fifty years ago on March 14, 1968.

The show was losing money big-time by the third season and despite the rumors, there was never any consideration to do a 4th year. (NBC was never interested.)

The reason? Dozier was hot to get Batman into syndication ASAP because that's where it would finally turn a profit. Here's an industry trade ad offering the 120 episodes from February 12, 1968.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Myke

I just shared this on Facebook, giving you credit, of course : Log In or Sign Up to View

klownschool likes this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Off-topic, but similar-- I purchased VEI's both-in-one DVD of Petrocelli last year, IIRC, and the fourth disc on my copy of that release (the fourth disc of the first season, BTW) had scratches that have made me have to wait to access any of the episodes on that disc. I didn't realize it until much later, and when I did, I put in for a replacement from VEI (telling them about the scratches and all), and they said they would send me a replacement, and that it would be here within 10-15 days from Canada (VEI is a Canadian outfit based in Toronto). Well, it's been at least that long (maybe longer), and I haven't seen hide nor hair of that replacement. I'm getting quite miffed!

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I can see where you'd be getting annoyed with the delay in receiving your replacement disc... Did they give you any sort of transaction number/reference number or anything? If so, I'd call them again and have that number ready, tell them it's already been over the estimented time and you're still waiting.

bmasters9 likes this.
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

No trans no. or reference; just the promise that it would be here within the 10-15 days. All they asked for (I purchased it from Amazon, and not directly through VEI) was my Amazon order number, and a phone number where they could call about any problems.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gorgeous...BD that is...

longdist01 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Just for a heads up for others here..

I seldom buy DVD's let alone complete series collections but I was at a Barnes and Noble yesterday.
    They had the complete DVD Batman series box set for 40% off. I love the goofiness of it.

I also got a 25% off coupon in the mail the other day, which I didn't have with me.

I asked an employee if the coupon would apply and he said yes so i'm gojng back for it tomorrow.

So, I think with my extra 10% as a member the box should be around $32.00.

longdist01 and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Myke

DVD, not Blu ray ?

12. Glenn Christense

Yes.

13. Myke

Do you have Blu ray capability ? Will look 100% better.

14. Glenn Christense

No. Like I mentioned, I'm not a DVD (or any other format watcher) person. I don't even have any TV linked to a sound system.

Generally, I'm playing music myself or listening to it. I'm not a watcher.

I would never even by the DVD set but it's so cheap.

I bought the Zorro set a few years ago because as a kid I loved the show , and the Beatles Anthology and the Universal monsters series and maybe a dozen other DVDs and that's it

longdist01 and Lewisboogie like this.
  15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The DVDs are eye popping.

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

You bet they are-- right up there with many of CBS' greatest!

17. Michael

does the DVD set come with Ultra Violet Copy?

18. Michael

and the BD are better than the DVDs...I guess this set will please both format buyers...

longdist01 likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

20. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I have had this set for a while and what can I say, it’s stunning, beautiful, big, brass it’s everything you can want and more.

If you are still on the fence take my word for it, it looks incredible

Lewisboogie, Myke and MerseyBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.