Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I certainly liked Batman: The Animated Movie better than the Keaton Batman movie, so I'll need to check this out.

2. ShardEnder

ShardEnder Senior Member Thread Starter

I know that Man Of Steel was one of the most controversial superhero movies of recent times, but you can tell just how much hype there is already behind this upcoming "sequel" because fans are starting to upload a wealth of spoiler heavy clips from the shoot:

Is it really that hard to wait another few months to see the first official footage of Batfleck? I suspect we'll get at least another teaser in the near future, probably early next year (think the opening sequence of The Dark Knight Rises being released long before the actual film).

3. ShardEnder

Here's another...

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Exactly, and Katee is a great example. My first choice would've been Gina Carano, maybe not the best actor but her physique is perfect for the role.

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Indeed Lucidae, that would be an inspired casting choice!

[​IMG]

mikeyt likes this.
  6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Make Mine Marvel!

7. ShardEnder

What's that, I hear? Only the sound of a release date being moved again! Now we're looking at March 25th for the Dawn Of Justice - don't the powers that be have any faith in this film as a summer blockbuster?

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Moving that release date was a very smart move for a couple reasons.

1. The initial release date had the film premiering the same day as Captain America 3. Too much strong competition for a single weekend. It had to move.

2. By going for the end of March they are tapping into a lucrative time of year as of late (Hunger Games, Captain America which opened in April this year). Strike early in the season before audiences get burned out.

mikeyt and Dr. Pepper like this.
  9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Ben looks like he's been working out a bit.

John K.

10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, I would think it would have more weeks of lesser competition than if it were released in the summer. If it can stay on top at the box office for an extra week or two it's a smart move.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

'Nuff said!

smilin ed and alexpop like this.
  12. Warner Bros. blinked, despite this movie likely slaughtering Captain America 3 in total box office. As has been proven over and over again, their executives don't really get the superhero genre.

13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

For me, "CAPTAIN AMERICA" has been one of the best super hero movies of all of them.

14. They have definitely been some of the better recent Marvel movies.

15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

There shoving too much into this movie somebody need to stop snider.

17. I don't think Robin will have much more than a cameo in this movie. They made the casting with an eye on future Batman films.

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That's good considering that I'm fine so far with all of the Batman aspects of this film. I just hate the fact that it is going to be a sequel to the awful Man of Steel.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. ShardEnder

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I am incredibly intrigued and baffled by the creative decision to make the versus of the title into "v." instead of "vs." The single "v." implies a courtroom legal battle, doesn't it? Then again, b/c this is Snyder and the new Man of Steel franchise maybe I shouldn't be surprised by very questionable creative decisions.

Rocker likes this.
  21. ShardEnder

I'd love for the title to be a subtle nod to us getting a film that introduces a long-retired Batman, who is forced to give up years of merely being the head of Wayne Enterprises to confront newcomer Superman, bringing him to trial after the collateral damage seen in Man Of Steel, not to mention the fact he also killed someone. Although neither side has particularly clean hands, they do come from very different backgrounds, and after their battle turns more physical, maybe they team up - along with other similar figures who begin surfacing - to join forces when an evil far greater than any single entity can challenge threatens something they all collectively believe in? On the other hand, from what's been revealed so far, does anyone genuinely think for a moment that Lex Luthor will be even remotely as intimidating as General Zod was, assuming he really is the main villain of this film?

Whatever happens, after their polarising last major cinematic effort, this is going to be a real key title for DC, and I suspect many fans will either be converted in time for the ride ahead with Justie League movies plus further standalone character pieces on the horizon or it's going to be an embarrassing premature end for a series under the creative direction of Zack Snyder. At this early stage, I'm more concerned with this being yet another mindless focus on two comic book characters facing off with an exhausting emphasis on the spectacle and not enough being done to cover their actual stories. To have Batman at a stage where he's coming out of retirement then introducing about half a dozen new characters (in this particular cinematic universe, at least), will there be time left for Dawn Of Justice to flesh matters out? I remain highly sceptical...

Looking at this from a more technical level, I think it also speaks volumes that Christopher Nolan's involvement has now been reduced to a mere executive producer's role, with his production company not even credited according to a recent change at the official site. Indeed, long before the release of Interstellar, it seems as if he's slowly disappearing off the radar, yet to announce any concrete details of future projects and supposedly desperate to turn his back on making fantastical movies since the death of Heath Ledger forced a last minute change of plans to his intended follow-up to The Dark Knight. After fighting against the eventual ending to Man Of Steel, it's become obvious that DC are putting their faith in Snyder's vision rather than Nolan's now, though thankfully not everything about this latest venture smacks of business as usual.

Yes, the brief assault of Hans Zimmer's score we've heard so far appears to be this once surprising composer running on an autopilot system that seems to consist of him recalling the Inception soundtrack, often mocked as being "ground zero" for his pursuit of the so-called brown note. Also, while the DP honour has been passed back to regular Snyder cinematographer Larry Fong, the original Comic-Con teaser points to this being an even more stylised affair comparable with 300 and Watchmen, though it is reassuring to see that Superman's colours are now depicted as lighter to contrast better against those of Batman. From the very little that's been drip fed out of this unprecedented hype campaign, I'm actually more excited to see what's being done with The Dark Knight, but I keep asking myself how much of that is just goodwill left over from how much I loved Nolan's trilogy.

I really do feel for those fans who may have waited nearly the whole time both Superman and Batman have existed to see these two behemoths facing off against each other on the silver screen, only to find that when it finally happens the result is less substance and more several different plots thrown together across the span of a single film with the intention of leading into something further down the line rather than being a definitive statement. Based on recent efforts, such films rarely work, with Spider-Man 3 often criticised for this very reason, and while I'm a massive fan, there's no denying that The Dark Knight Rises was a weak link in that particular series, though again it must be asked how much of this was a result of momentum being lost along with intentions having to be significantly reworked as a result of tragic circumstances.

I really am sorry for yet another lengthy post on this subject, but from a very young age I watched a very specific treatment of Superman fly into my life and remain a genuine symbol of hope that I'm sure will one day leave a similar impression on future generations long after the effects have ceased to be special, only to be torn down from his pedestal by two different reworkings of the same character that have increasingly taken him into darker territory then forced into second place by a very different type of hero I'd never truly rated. Sure, the classic Batman television series had some appeal to me, but for some reason The Dark Knight never appealed to me until Nolan's cinematic reboot. Now, even though it goes against where I anticipated both my head and heart would be leading up to the release of their long awaited clash, I'm very much with Team Batman.

On the other hand, somewhere in a parallel universe this film sees Christopher Reeve bringing his wholesome, vibrant take on Superman out of retirement to face Christian Bale's active Batman, the resulting collision directed by Richard Donner under the supervision of Nolan, with verisimilitude very much the order of the day and John Williams providing the musical background to a spectacularly filmed display of heroics that people crave in hard times. Instead, I fear we're going to be left with a bleak, brutal and complicated mix of characters who zip in then out of frame so fast we hardly get to figure out their motives or actions. Is this really worthy of the promised Batman V Superman title? Based on what's coming, maybe a better name would have simply been Dawn Of Justice, unless Snyder's actually throwing an incredibly high stakes curve ball, that is?!

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Official trailer has leaked a few days early. It's out there. Meh. I'm still in but trailer doesn't do much for me.

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this one. I wish DC/Warner Bros. would take their focus off of Superman/Batman, choose a minor hero, and do a really good movie with them. They've shows they can do it on TV with The Flash.

lbangs and mikeyt like this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I would love to see a crossover movie with Spiderman and Batman in it.

2 favorite heroes.

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Objection sustained!

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.