Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

OK. Please PM me the relevant contact information and I will have my lawyers contact you.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

That has more to do with the material than the actor. Although I think every actor that played Superman since and will in the future automatically pales in comparison because Chris was in a class of his own. In some ways his version is seen as Superman more than even the comics version.So it really is unfair to compare Chris with Dean,Tom,Brandon or Henry,because who can stack up against Chris?

It's best to take each version of Superman on it's own merits,and frankly Henry Cavill is good for what the material demands of him. If given Better material,he'd be great. He looks the part more than anyone since perhaps Reeve,has natural charm and has a deep respect for the character.
    It's a pity he hasn't had the opportunity to play a Superman on the top of his game and removed from the angst of MOS and this movie.

Perhaps his resurrection in Justice League will see Cavill playing a more " classic" Superman. On the poster of the Justice League at comic con,hes actually smiling ! Not a broad grin that some insist Superman permanently and perpetually should have,but hes not looking grim or glum for once in promotional stuff. A sign of things to come hopefully.

With Batman it's not that way. They all worked for their time and film. There's really not a " best" Batman. Adam West and Michael Keaton may be the most iconic,but all of them have worked for their particular incarnation.

Aside from Clooney,because he just sucked. Probably at no fault of his own sadly though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  3. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I think Cavill is a great Superman, and Affleck is a great Batman... but the material they've been given, so far, is horrid. But, Christopher Reeve will forever be the standard for Superman.

And add Val Kilmer to horrible Batman's (Batmen?). Gack, he sucked.

4. David Campbell

Eh,Val Killer wasn't that bad. At least he did bother to change his voice within the suit. Clooney didn't even try.

DiabloG likes this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I thought there was some good stuff in the film, notably the performances by the principals. It must be tough to project a certain credibility dressed in a Halloween costume. They pull it off. Gal certainly has charisma, Affleck is an intense Batman, Cavil is a great Superman. None are well served by the script, especially Supes. He comes across as a rather clueless because the script needs him to. I'm sure he's capable of being a brighter, more feisty Superman. Thought his bemused take on Napolean Solo was the best part of the Man from UNCLE, performance and script in synch.

The not so good stuff was the grimy teal, grey, orange pallette. Have these people forgotten the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, or even the Duchess of Idaho? Is there's some kind of post production colorblind cult in H-Wood? And the script... the entire discombobulated narrative should have been addressed before shooting began.

macdaddysinfo, Vidiot and Simon A like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

For some reason, director Zach Snyder feels that he needs to use this heavily-styled pallet in order to tell superhero stories, which he did previously on Man of Steel as well. The post-production people basically have to give the director the creative vision that he asks for... or else they get fired and somebody else does the work instead. I can tell you the post people would prefer the more natural look of (say) the recent Captain America movie.

Simon A likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just purchased this on blu-ray but haven't had a chance to watch it.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Likewise. I'm going to watch Man Of Steel first, then this.

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I finally saw it. Frankly not as bad as I expected, though the "Martha" moment was lame in the extreme.

John K.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wonder if that was in the comic book?

11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Related, but slightly off topic. I bought this - the Supergirl series a couple of days ago on blu-ray. I'm enjoying it. The uplifting tone of it seems more fitting for Superman / Supergirl than the dark, moody tone of the recent movies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    ShardEnder likes this.
  12. ShardEnder

ShardEnder Senior Member Thread Starter

I genuinely believe that Greg Berlanti would have done a fantastic job of producing another movie for Christopher Reeve, but we'll have to stick with the comparatively low budget Supergirl television series as something far more faithful to the source material than Zack Snyder's current vision for the original DC character. Unfortunately, now this series has moved from CBS to The CW, we can expect the second season to have an even lower budget - let's just hope it only affects the visual effects and not the writing quality, which has its flaws yet still manages to elevate Melissa Benoist above her cinematic counterpart, Henry Cavill (who I feel the most sorry for, since he's supposedly a fan of classic Superman, yet is instead made to play a moping, miserable shadow of this iconic figure). Sure, I've said in the past that Berlanti hasn't got the track record, though now I'm convinced anyone could do a better job than the hack WB has entrusted its flagship superhero franchise with! If you're in any doubt as to how little faith the powers that be have in this once untouchable giant, just look at how they chose to end Dawn of Justice...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  13. Wellllll....it could work. It just startled Batman enough to pull him out of his desire to kill Supes and brought him back to reality because of the dreams Buce was having involving his parents.

Is it ideal? Nope. Does it stretch credibility? Yep but it wasn't a,bad idea necessarily just given the circumstances I don't know if it works completely in the drama before us...

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Anyone with the remotest knowledge of Batman and Superman, one is an earthborn genius, the other has super-intellect, would have to find that 'Martha' moment to be bordering on insulting. It's just SO stupid!

15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I finally saw it! It was often confusing when it wasn't being dark and dramatic. Way too much going on and yet long sequences of people standing around doing nothing but looking dramatic.

However, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be!

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I haven't seen the Ultimate Edition or whatever which apparently is a more coherent film. It was often confusing, and surprising that a studio would release a major film that was so poorly realized as a story

ampmods likes this.
  17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Yeah I'm not sure I could be interested in any more footage in one sitting. It might make more sense but my mind would wander. I felt the same about the Age of Ultron. But at least I understood most of what was happening. :). But man... They should work on telling a compelling story in as few scenes as possible. Sometimes these movies seem more interested in completing a checklist than telling a story.

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just watched the Ultimate Edition and I'm afraid I'm in the camp of those who hated it. Afterwards I was simply exhausted from all this seriousness and Zimmer's kettle drums banging away at me.

Cousin It and DiabloG like this.
  19. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Dude, you need to watch the Ultimate Fan Edition Super Extreme Extended Director's Cut on Blu-Ray! They also share a very similar turkey gravy recipe.

20. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

This looks like the review (NSFW) of the non-Ultimate release:

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I felt the same way. As crazy as it may sound, the 3-hour version makes more sense and has a less choppy, haphazard pace than the theatrical version. I still don't think it's a good film, but it has some pretty good moments here and there.

The Making of extra bits were terribly, though. I wish they had done one 15-20-minute segment sitting down with the writers, producers, and director and basically discussed how the movie came to be written, what story choices they made, how the characters were different than in the previous movies, and what the point of the movie was.

And there was also nothing on the movie's post-production. We could've used segments on all the visual effects, on the editing, the sound mix, and (always a favorite of mine) the color correction. Instead, we got nada. Just mostly a lotta background on the comic books.

22. David Campbell

Curious...what were the moments you actually liked?

My favourite shot in the whole movie was the image of Superman dragging the boat via a chain through the ice. That was something right out of the silver age comics.

mark renard likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

24. Saw Suicide Squad last night . What a friggen mess. Bad dialogue and pacing and the plot is terrible. Nothing good about it. Should have went to see Sausage Party instead.

But it made me think more how much i loved this film. Really BvS is still one of my favorite of the bug budget films this year.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I RedBoxed "BvS" on Blu-Ray the other night. It was.... okay. I didn't hate it but I wasn't blown away by it either.

Affleck was decent as Batman, in fact I would've rather been watching him in a solo Batman movie (I'm still not sold on Henry Cavill as Superman - dude is a stiff).

Wonder Woman's presence was mostly pointless, so was shoehorning the whole Doomsday/Death-Of-Superman subplot into the last half hour of the movie. That could've easily been an entire film by itself but here it was like an afterthought. "Oh, and by the way, here's Doomsday. Have fun. Bye now."

Jesse Eisenberg was irritating as Luthor, but then I find his whole twitchy nervous-nerd routine irritating in everything I've ever seen him in.

So I won't be buying BvS for my personal collection, but I thought it was better than Man of Steel at any rate.

Scott222C, Simon A and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.