Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

1) Yes, you should see "MoS" first. It's not a good movie, but "BvS" refers to it so heavily that I think "BvS" probably makes a lot less sense if viewed without knowledge of "MoS"
    2) Yes, the extended version is a substantial improvement.

2. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Well apparently he was in it again a few months ago - his 20-something year old girlfriend is pregnant. #9, #9.. #9... #9...

I saw this film and could not believe how bad it was. Many others have laid out why... but it just doesn't work. No issue though - people will go see the next ones.

They seemed to have taken all the wrong take-aways of what made the Nolan Batman trilogy work so well and make it a literally "dark" thread that runs through this joyless DC stuff now. Which is weird, because I think Nolan is a Producer on these new films.

Anyway, as an aside, this Jew doesn't hate Mel's work. I can separate art from artist. Just showed the wife (South African wife) Lethal Weapon 2 this weekend. Been telling her she'd have to see it for years! 1989? Great soundtrack, BTW! And just amused that when they look at the stack of millions in the shipping crate at the end, Glover says, "Thousands... millions... Donald Trump money!"

I also watched the third Die Hard from the early 90s a couple months ago - I do like that one - and another mention of "Yeah, and I'm marrying Donald Trump!" (money reference from Colleen Camp) and also a mention of Hillary Clinton and I'm just thinking - how many friggin' years have these two been in the public zeitgeist??

Not a political post - just both of them famous for soooo long.

And Batman v. Superman sucked.

Jeff

3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Regarding Jesse Eisenberg, this is on Wikipedia:

"Eisenberg has obsessive–compulsive disorder and is open about it. He said of his condition: "I touch the tips of my fingers in a weird way; I don't step on cracks; if I'm going onto a new surface - be it carpet to concrete, or concrete to wood, or wood to concrete, any new surface - I have to make sure all parts of my feet touch the ground equally before I touch that new thing. So I'll often hesitate before walking into a new room." He has also spoken about going to therapy to manage his anxieties - OCD, separation anxiety, social anxiety - and depression, the latter of which he struggled with a lot when he was younger, as well as how acting helped him better cope. He has said that acting serves as his coping mechanism."

This helped me understand his portrayal a bit more, I believe he tapped into and amplified his OCD for his role in BvS. I can undersstand it as an artistic choice but for me personally it didn't play well. Every time he was is a scene I felt like I was watching JE and not Lex Luthor. Conversely, I enjoyed his performances in Now You See Me and NYSM2 and totally believed I was watching his character and not him. ymmv.

4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Huh. I did not know that about Eisenberg. Thanks for posting.

Im a bit if a Superman nerd,and for me his portrayal was the best of the three cinematic live action Lexs in terms of capturing the character in terms of motivations etc compared to Hackman's and Spacey' s versions. Hackman's Lex is entertaining but aside from when you see him bald at the end,i never really feel like I'm watching Lex Luthor.Just some used car salesman with delusions of grandeur and an obsession with Land...which has never what Lex has been about even in the really old stories. I was so disappointed with Spacey. I mean,he looks,sounds and has the Menace of Lex down the first half of the movie...but once again his M.O. is frickin Land and once we get to that part where his "plan" is revealed,he immediately devolves back into the silly cartoon that Hackman played and it all falls apart.

Believe me,Eisenberg was not my first choice for Lex. I was the most worried for that casting of all..but for the first time in a live action cinematic Lex I got the vibe of demented genius/mad scientist and the master manipulator that I read growing up. I could actually buy him as someone so intelligent he can't keep up with himself. Hackman and Spacey just came off smart in relation to the absolute morons he had as henchmen.

Again,i prefer both Rosenbaum and Shea from TV (and Clancy Brown's awesome vocal performance in the Bruce Time DC cartoons IS the voice I have in my head for Lex),but given what was being gone for,he did OK and I hope to see Eisenberg continue so he can further refine this incarnation of Lex.One that perhaps is a little more in control of himself and a little more even keel.

Gone4ABurton, BeatleJWOL and Veech like this.
  5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

When Smallville ended I imagined they were setting it up for a film around now,when they fast forwarded 7 years to Lex as President.
    Have you heard of any plans for a movie?
    I heard Wellings last TV pilot bombed.......so he should be keen/available to do a movie of it.

7. David Campbell

I wouldn't hold my breath. While Rosenbaum has said he was open to portraying Lex again, I don't think Welling feels the same way. Although, recently he did sponsor and model a Smallville themed t-shirt that was being sold for raising proceeds for Saint Jude's hospital.

But, with all of these television shows from the 90s /2000's getting short term revivals, it isn't impossible to imagine Smallville getting the same limited series treatment. However, with Supergirl doing well on CW and the fact they've cast that universe's Superman, I doubt they are in any hurry to revive Smallville. I mean, it was about Clark Kent before he became Superman. Now that he is Superman, it really wouldn't be Smallville anymore anyway.

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The Supergirl show announced today that they hired Teri Hatcher (Lois & Clark). I think it's fun that they've also found a place for Dean Cain, Helen Slater, and Lynda Carter. A lot more fun than this fukakta BvS movie series!

9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I uderstand what you're saying about it being centred around Smallville,but the last few seasons more screen time was spent in Metropolis than the farm.

10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

My understanding was the Smallville was supposed to be just that, about Smallville and Clark Kent growing up there. There were supposed to be (I think this is a quote) "No flights, no tights" with the series ending with a scene where Clark starting to float off the ground. Despite being a comic book fan, I missed Smallville when it started and never watched the series...deciding to catch it on video instead.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I slogged through this last night. It's a chore to get through, but I wanted to revisit it. I've only seen the extended edition, which I read makes more sense than the theatrical. Can't really think of anything I liked about it, though Gal Gadot was nice to look at for the brief time she was on screen. A few questions:

1) What is the crippled guy's beef with Wayne Enterprises/Bruce Wayne? Why is he returning all of the benefit checks. Bruce helped save him when he was hurt by the building collapse. I get his issue with Superman, but not what he has against Wayne.

2) Why is the alien ship (Zod's ship?) flooded with water when Lex goes to it? I don't remember this being its normal operating state when I saw Man Of Steel.

3) Is Batman's suit just big heavy armor or is it enhanced in some way to make him stronger, like the suit in the Nolan Batman movies? I didn't see them demonstrate this in any way. It looks so massive that I'm not sure how Wayne even moves in it. Hated the look of Batman in this.

4) Why is Wayne Manor a burnt out empty ruin?

12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I think it was Lex who falsified those returned benefit checks as a way to push a few buttons on Wayne........ to get him to face Superman.

13. David Campbell

1) It's implied Lex had someone intercept those checks. The hate messages were forged by Lex to push Bruce over the edge. Lex even admitted that in his rooftop confrontation with Superman. The guy in the chair thought Bruce was ignoring him because he never got those checks. It was all Lex Luthor using that guy ( Wallece O'Keeffe I think was his name) and Bruce in his bid to discredit and destroy SUPERMAN.

2) that's not water, it's the goop from the Genesis chamber from MOS. When the ship crashed, that goop flooded the ship.

3) it seemed to both enhance his strength and add a layer of protection. However if Supes wanted to kill him , he could have done so easily. Bats was fortunate he didn't.

4,) an untold wrinkle to be elaborated on in the Batman film that Affleck was supposed to direct. I'm sure that and Robin's death will be handled there whenever they get a new director.

14. agentalbert

Thanks, that helps. Two more:

5) At the end when Lex is in jail and Batman visits, Lex is ranting about "the bell has been rung, out to the stars, he has heard, he is hungry, he is coming". Something like that. Is he talking about Galactus? If so, how would Lex even be aware of Galactus?

6) When the soldiers come and arrest Lex in the ship towards the end of the movie, it looks like there is some creature being assembled and then it dissipates when they disturb Lex. What was that?

15. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

not galactus, which is Marvel, but Darkseid & Co. Luthor has been in contact with them.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

They are gritty and dark or heavier or whatever one calls it, but BvS ends on a hopeful note. I can't help thinking that although Wayne went in it to win it, he expected to die, and as a martyr he would still win.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The horned hologram is also a comic character related to Darkseid:
    Justice League Villain: Darkseid & Steppenwolf History Explained

macdaddysinfo and agentalbert like this.
  18. David Campbell

5) he's referring to Darkseid, basically the big bad of the DCU. How Lex found out? Anyone's guess, but if Zod was able to locate Superman when he awakened the Kryptonian scout ship in MAN OF STEEL, it's possible Darkseid became aware of Superman's existence on earth, realized he could be a threat to his conquering of Earth, and seemed out Lex and played upon his own paranoia and push him to set in motion a plan to get Superman off the chessboard to facilitate his eventual invasion. Or, Lex's study into all things Kryptonian and their knowledge led to him discovering Darkseid. Just two possibilities. We may find out in Justice League. Rumor has it Lex plays a big role.

6) that hologram is of Steppenwolf, one of Darkseid's minions. Rumor has it he's the nemesis in the Justice League film.

macdaddysinfo and Quadboy like this.
  19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wondered about some of this stuff too but didn't care enough to ask questions. evidence of the movie's incoherence. What the hell was the script like?

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of this film, but I don't get the claims of the film's incoherence. It made perfect sense to me.

BeatleJWOL and LA2019 like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Found this at the library and finally watched it. Not a bad film at all despite its flaws. My criticisms would be that Eisenberg's Luther is unconvincing (too quirky and zany for the sake of it), Affleck is a bland as usual (a shame, he's hilarious in chat shows) and one remains unconvinced that he could be so hateful towards Superman, and as pointed out, the Martha moment is lame. Still, thoroughly enjoyed it!

23. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Sorry this took so long - a full year- and you've probably forgotten this conversation. I just binged Season Two from where I left off and wanted to say that I thought the Bruce Wayne development is still good - but he still doesn't strike me as 'in progress' to become the world's greatest detective. He has a wonderfully developed intellect and moral sensibility. He's driven and he's willing to jump in to anything. I think that makes him on track to be the angry masked vigilante Batman that's been the pride of the current generation of Batstorytellers. I'll start on the third season soon (I think). So maybe there's another step toward real detective skills there? Either way, I think that the comic book sensibility really started to take over as season two wound down.

This is off topic here, but I remembered our discussion for the last year and had to come back as promised!

Scopitone likes this.
  24. agentalbert

I just watched this again yesterday (the theatrical version this time, had only seen the extended before) and I have a question about the plot in the desert to frame Superman. I get that Lois is held captive to draw Superman to the area, but how does shooting and killing a bunch of guys with military grade bullets frame Superman? When has he ever been known to use guns and bullets? If they had left a bunch of bodies cut in half with a laser, I could see how that would be designed to make it look like Superman's fault. But not bullets.

25. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Didn't they burn the bodies to make it look like he used his heat vision?

wayneklein and David Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.