Battle of the Divas: Beyonce vs. Rihanna

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't know if she's a Diva (I'm not sure I know what that means in this context), but I like her too, in fact she along with the two subjects of the thread are my favourites as far as modern female Pop artist go (maybe they are not so modern anymore, but I'm getting old, so to me it's modern).
    I love the song "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart". :love:

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Beyonce.

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Actually, I heard it from someone at Stubhub who was helping me get tickets to the Golden State Warriors - LA Clippers game next week. Her information must have been old. Or perhaps she has a different perspective since Stubhub probably doesn't make much money when shows don't sell out.

Perhaps she has never been a stadium level act. I probably think of her that way because the two times I've been to her show, the crowds were massive. But once was 80,000 or so in Singapore but that show was free for race ticket holders. The other time was Chiba Stadium outside Tokyo, but she was actually headlining a festival (and I actually skipped Rihanna to see New Order!). I was far back on the Padang field in Singapore and could barely see anything. I've actually "attended" two of her shows but never really seen her.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's never been "just about the music". That's a fallacy often promoted on this board that just isn't true...

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think I like "21st century Madonna" more than a lot of fans, but I do agree with this statement. Madonna seems to try too hard to be 'queen of the charts'. She should make the music she wants to make, consequences be damned.

This assumes she compromises her music for "commercial potential", which may not be the case. For all I know, she's doing the music she really wants to do.

But I don't get that vibe. I think the last album she made that was "from the heart" was "Confessions". That one was commercial, of course, but it felt like Madonna doing what she wanted to do and not worrying so much about "chart relevance"...

The7thStranger likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Beyoncé was an insta-sellout today for two dates at Citi Field in New York and one night at the Rose Bowl. Tour schedule is tight or I am sure they could have added more dates. $350 for most of the field in NY, with VIP packages from 800+. Seats in first tier $180-$350. Her audience is definitely getting older. Twenty year olds don't spend that kind of money.

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Tickets for her show here in Stockholm in July were released yesterday and also sold out immediataly, within minutes, and this is an arean with a 65 000 capacity. As a comparison, tickets for Rihanna's show, also in July, were released on December 3, and it's not sold out, and that this is a 40 000 capacity areana.

10. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

Beyoncé without thinking twice because she has actual talent.

11. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

12. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Confessions sounded like Madonna actually having fun. I also have the live CD/DVD set and it just radiates. Her Music Inferno mash-up was on repeat in my house a lot during that time.

Also she proved that disco could be revitalised to sound great again. And she made ABBA en vogue again. I wasn't in the hits buying demographic anymore, but she made me very happy with that album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.