Battlestar Galactica on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by njwiv, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member Thread Starter

For those among us who fondly remember this attempt to capitalize on STAR WARS fever -- from the Digital Bits website:

"Universal has announced the DVD release of Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series as a 6-disc box set for release on 10/21 (SRP $119.98). All 24 episodes of the series are being presented in the original full frame video (digitally remastered for superior quality) and in their original broadcast order, with audio available in the original 2.0 mono as well as newly remixed Dolby Digital 5.1. The set will include never-before-seen footage, along with new interviews with series creator Glen A. Larson and series stars' Richard Hatch, Terry Carter and Anne Lockhart.

As if that wasn't enough, Battlestar Galactica: The Original Feature Film is also being re-released on DVD the same day (SRP $19.98). It will also include a sneak preview of the new Sci-Fi mini-series retelling of the film's story. Sadly, it looks suspiciously like this will be the same non-anamorphic widescreen film transfer as before, but we've not yet been able to confirm this."

Similar information from the DVDfile website:

"Fans of classic, cheesy TV sci-fi rejoice! Universal Studios Home Video has just announced 2003 as "The Year of Battlestar Galactica." Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series will be available for the first time ever on DVD on October 21, 2003, just in time for the December 2003 premiere of The Sci Fi Channel's original mini-series.

This six-disc set includes all 24 hours of the original series, fully remastered in 4:3 full screen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround (the original mono tracks are also included) plus extras including an interview with series creator Glen A. Larson and series stars' Richard Hatch (Apollo), Terry Carter and Anne Lockhart, a sneak preview of the new SCI Fi Channel remake, and a rebate coupon for $10 off the DVD box set. Retail is $119.95, and Universal will also reprice the currently-available Battlestar Galactica: The Original Movie single-disc DVD to tie-in with the promotion."

No news on a DVD release of the meisterwerk that is the GALACTICA 1980 follow-up series. ;) :D

Jay

2. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I saw this yesterday and was kind of confused - wasn't the movie basically the pilot to the TV series? Is it included in the TV series box set?

3. njwiv

Steve,

Not exactly. The movie is actually a clip job of the first episode (Saga of A Star World) and the fifth episode (Lost Planet of the Gods) of the series. There are some websites that go into greater detail on this, but the movie and the TV versions have some significant differences.

Jay

4. njwiv

5. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Thanks Jay - I'll check it out.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It's about time. I really liked that series. It was getting better when they pulled the plug. As I recall, the ratings were good, it just cost too much.

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

If all the episodes were as good as the "War of the Gods" 2-parter, the series wouldn't have been cancelled, unfortunately, a few of the episodes hurt the series as a whole, and then add to that the production costs...you have a one-season show. (Star Trek was also killed because of production costs, but its ratings has begun to decline also.) Too bad, there was a real lack of quality Science Fiction programming back then. I think I'll pick up a few of the episodes when they come out.

8. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Oops! I meant to say I'd check out the set when it comes out. (My train of thought got derailed)

9. njwiv

Joe,

At this point, it looks like it will be an all or nothing affair on the Galactica series -- the episodes will only be available in the box set.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I didn't realize there were only 24 episodes. I loved this show as a kid. I think the special effects were pretty good for a TV series. And those crazy villians with the red moving eye, what were they called?

Ah, Cylons! Right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.