Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

And looking through Beggar's site for answers, I see that the reissue of Sky is... PINK? WTF!

[​IMG]

A baby-blue Burning wasn't the best idea either...

[​IMG]

rnranimal likes this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

There's no way this was intentionally mono.

I would contact 4AD, while you're at it. If it's a pressing defect, it's their responsibility to make it right for the consumer, since Amazon will just keep sending defective mono copies. (And I agree, you should just request a refund from Amazon.)

Who knows, maybe 4AD will finally cop to making a mistake? (Unlike the Cocteau Twins Treasure and Head Over Heels debacle, when they claimed to be using the original masters, but actually used the Guthrie remasters instead, and then adamantly denied it.)

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

My "intentional mono" comment was a joke. Yeah, I went for a refund with amazon, and I think it's cheaper on amazon.uk, which should be the correct pressing. But yeah, 4AD should know about this, if they don't already.

Mask, however, is a really good pressing.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  4. Pavol Stromcek

5. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Burning From The Inside has a release date of December 7th. The Sky's Gone Out is November 23rd.

6. gomen ne

gomen ne -

That LP was crying out for a black & white tie-die or swirl effect. Something like this
    [​IMG]

7. NSzeven

NSzeven Active Member

Thanks @dumaisaudio for confirming that you recieved a mono copy as well!
    For those who haven't heard the error, the following link illustrates the difference between roughly 1:33min of Double Dare 2018 & 2013 pressings.
    The waveform display reveals that, while the vinyl is mono, it is also ONLY the LEFT channel - centered. This is why some instruments sound distant. (Like panning a stereo version of Rubber Soul and hearing bleed from the other channel in the bg).

vonwegen and paulieb00 like this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Wow, what a colossal screw up. Has anyone contacted (and heard back from) 4AD abut this?

gomen ne and NSzeven like this.
  9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

After the Cocteau Twins debacle, anyone really surprised they botched one of the most seminal albums in their discography?

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That just might be the most bizarre error to not only happen, but then not get caught. How did this sound right to them after they cut it?

NSzeven likes this.
  11. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

The guy who runs the shop I bought my copy from said he contacted the label and they deny there is any issue, saying their copies sound fine and that the mastering engineer signed off on it. They wouldn't take the return, but thankfully he let me return it. He even took it home and compared it to his original pressing and could tell something was off about the reissue. I told him to send them here so they can see the video for themselves.

Reminds me of the Bowie Heroes "loss of energy" situation, they'll probably deny it until they get enough pressure to admit fault and do a repress.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

This would never have happened if Ivo was still in charge!

(I can imagine this fact, right?)

jimhb and NSzeven like this.
  13. Pavol Stromcek

This is why I keep harping on contacting 4AD. If enough people pester them, and offer proof of the problem, they'll have to stop denying it and take some sort of responsibility.

(Their flat-out denial of using the Guthrie remasters for the recent Cocteau Twins LPs really pissed me off.)

jimhb, Jerry James and Neonbeam like this.
  14. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

I just sent them an email to log the issue. I'll report any response.

Pavol Stromcek, NSzeven and Neonbeam like this.
  15. There's certainly no denying that the label went into a comprehensive decline after he left.

NSzeven and Dolemite like this.
  16. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

I have talked to Beggars USA. They admitted that there is an isuue with the US pressing of ITFF. The UK/EU version is pressed correctly. As of right now the beggars US store is redirecting you to the UK store to buy the album. No word on if there is a repress coming or if they are just going to import the UK/EU copies to sell and replace the incorrect US copies. I ordered a copy from the UK store and it came to about $26 shipped.

17. NSzeven

NSzeven Active Member

Yea, I've been speaking with a couple people in the band's management about this since the release date and had a brief email exchange with a person/Director at Matador/ Beggars Group (who seemed so dissinterested that he couldn't be bothered to sign his email).

It's safe to say, the responses I've recieved thus far have ranged from disbelief to dismissal to disinterest.

I thought I was crazy myself at first, so I don't really blame management for their initial reaction.
    They'd said their test pressings sounded "great". (And I believe them. They are both good guys and passionate about the people they represent in the band).
    So I put together the video to show them what I was experiencing (and to stop myself from repeatedly A/B'ing the records whilst explaiming, WTF?!) o_O

I shared the information & video with Matador/Beggars and recieved a blunt one-line response; QUOTE "Right, i'm still waiting on the UK copy. I"ll just refund you if I don't get them in soon".
    (Apparently, "thank you for bringing this to our attention" or "we're aware of the issue and working to rectify it" was too much bother).

Personally I'd prefer they send me a legit copy of the record rather than have me play "online ordering roulette" again in the hopes of getting a good one. (sheesh).

- This defect is not the band's fault or (even) Beggars Group. It's the plant.
    - My only complaint is that the label has been less-than proactive in pursuing the issue and preventing the reputation of their product, brand, (the) band from suffering. (Some people will get burned and never buy a Bauhaus, 4Ad, Matador, Beggars vinyl album again. Which is a shame).

Today I was told that all the (UK) copies they've heard sound "great". So we're concluding that it's a U.S. manufacturing isssue. - Unless someone here has evidence to the contrary.

<Rant OFF>

slop101, gomen ne and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  18. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I just put in order in and it finally allowed me to order Burning From The Inside too.

19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Maybe they should of had one decent engineer cut this than give generic files to a pressing plant to cut.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

When I receive my copy from the UK store, I will compare it with my US sourced copy, and report the results. I will also check and report matrix numbers.

21. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Heads should roll at the pressing plant. Then again, they probably think who cares as long as the hardcore fans buy the records? The general public won't even notice.
    At least with the recent Suede box debacle Demon have promised to replace the defective record ASAP.

22. Pavol Stromcek

What sucks about this is that you could have newcomers to the band picking this US ITFF up and being instantly turned off because it sounds so bad. And yet it sounds like no one from the label really cares.

NSzeven likes this.
  23. Kyle Mooney

My UK pressed replacement ITFF just arrived and sounds great. There was no return label for my duff copy so I guess I get to keep it as an oddball relic.
    I would like to point out that the UK version looks much nicer. The color is lighter than the US version and has a lot of pearlesence kind of shimmer going on where as my US copy just looks like dog s**t.

NSzeven, Jerry James and MondoFanM like this.
  24. Pavol Stromcek

Great to hear about the UK pressing. Does anyone know where the UK and US were pressed?

25. Kyle Mooney

Looking at the run out of both copies of ITFF I make out:

Defective Disc (supposedly US) Side A: 138945E 1/E CAD2901 Side B: 138945E 2/B CAD2901
    This matches what is currently listed on Discogs

Stereo Disc (supposedly UK) Side A: BC92692-01 A1 CAD 2901 Side B: BC92692-01 B1 CAD 2901

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.