Bava's Planet of the Vampires on Blu Ray soon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh joy, just stumbled on this release, Mario Bava Planet of the Vampires on Blu Ray release 10/28/14.

What a wonderful, atmospheric, moody flick! The DVD looks good, I'm dying to see the blu ray!

Mark Nelson likes this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Wasn't the US DVD from way back cut? Not for content or anything but missing a key scene or two. I can't remember exactly now. (Time to take the Tim Lucas Bava Bible off its shelf).

I hope the blu-ray is completely uncut because I agree that this is a great flick!

3. VicB

VicB Forum Resident

Saw this movie as a kid in a theater. I don't think I've seen it since.

4. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

The midnight movie dvd was not the original American version of the film.
    It was some sort of composite of sorts I think because they the American film elements were in poor shape.
    There is an article on that in an old issue of Video Watchdog that came out when the dvd was released.
    Lets hope they do a good job with this new release as this is a wonderful film.
    Also note the American versions of Black Sabbath and Black Sunday should be out this fall.

jsayers and Barnabas Collins like this.
  5. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Great news, indeed. :)

But still no Blood and Black Lace BD? VCI still hold the US rights, I assume. After their inept releases of the title on DVD, I shouldn't be surprised... :(

6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

If There's any director made for BD, it's Mario Bava. I'm continually amazed at his mastery of the camera.

I still have the German DVD of B&BL, BLUTIGE SEIDE, which is the best looking version by far. Amazing that it was shot for around $150,000. The smaller the budget, the more ingenious and creative Bava seemed.
    When De Laurentiis gave him a budget of $3M for DIABOLIK, he brought it in at $400,000.

7. Barnabas Collins

I believe when "Black Sunday" was released on Blu-Ray in the UK (on Arrow?) they did it right the first time by including both versions of the film (La Maschera Del Demonio & Black Sunday) . Not to mention a host of extras including the uncredited Bava directed horror film I Vampiri! I think Riccardo Freda is credited as director but left the film midway through production.

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yea, that Arrow company is going to force me buy a region-free Blu-Ray player yet with all the sweet releases they're cranking out.

9. Don't know this film but love Bava so will be looking into it.

My most wanted Bava flick on BD is Kidnapped aka Rabid Dogs.
    Arrow has been working on it for a while now and once it's ready, I am on it!

10. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Is this the film that supposedly inspired Alien?

11. Barnabas Collins

Yes

mozz likes this.
  12. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I thought "It! The Terror from Beyond Space" (1958) inspired "Alien."

13. GuildX700

It was several classic flicks, The Thing from Another World, Forbidden Planet as well as Planet Of Vampires.

mozz likes this.
  14. moops

moops Senior Member

I really hope Arrow Films can continue with a Bava series and we get deluxe sets of Kill Baby Kill and Blood and Black Lace.
    Their releases so far have been wonderful.
    They're Region B discs though .......

For those that don't already have them .......

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare8/blacksunday.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdreviews30/black_sabbath.htm

15. Johnny66

Yes, I have the Blutige Seide release - but, as already mentioned, Bava certainly deserves Blu-Ray.

Bava's budget savings on Diabolik is certainly something to note, but it also shows in the finished product. Some of those miniatures unfortunately do not work, and more money should have been spent on some of the set pieces.

16. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Somewhat related to this thread, I'll be attending the annual Drive-In Super Monster-rama event in Pennsylvania this coming weekend, which will feature a night
    of Bava films on the big screen. PLANET was originally slated to run, but wound up getting swapped out for SHOCK, which Bava worked on uncredited.

[​IMG]

17. Johnny66

Wow. Those are both great bills (although I much prefer the Lisa and the Devil cut to The House of Exorcism). Looks like a great night of viewing (with vintage trailers and shorts to boot). Lucky you! :)

18. GuildX700

Almost done viewing the new blu ray release I got today.

Looks and sound VERY nice, a big step up from the DVD, a wonderful film finally presented in a great format.

19. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Glad to hear it.
    From what I have read Kino has had some trouble with some of their Bava Blu Ray releases lately.
    Canceling the AIP version of Black Sabbath this Halloween was a major disappointment.
    Hope to pick this one up soon.

20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Think the "space jockey" in "Alien" and compare it with the alien skeleton in "Planet Of The Vampires"
    and you'll see the connection.

[​IMG]

mozz likes this.
  21. woody

woody Forum Resident

[​IMG] Best spacesuits ever.

GuildX700 likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I wish I had one of those spacesuits to wear to Comicon.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Better than these?

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  24. GuildX700

Second viewing, man this looks great, the flesh tones are dead on, the blacks look great, and the color that Bava uses looks amazing. What an amazing, classic flick, and this blu ray is wonderful!

And yes, I just pulled a pizza out of the oven!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Jimi Bat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.