BBC LS3/5A mods

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FreiheitZecher, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreiheitZecher

FreiheitZecher New Member Thread Starter

I've been thinking about adding the Cicable crossovers, and installing my LS3/5A's into the reference cabinets (the screw-on rear panel variety a la BBC serial #'s 001 and 002). Has anyone already done either of these modifications?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have not, but I hear they sound wonderful...

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Damn, ya gotta love the LS3/5a to go the whole route!

4. Steve Hoffman

Personally, I like the speaker, but only as an intimate playback resource. It's too small for any real volume, and if it's going to be your only playback speaker, I suggest getting something bigger.

I love my pair for the imaging, soundstaging and tonal accuracy (down to around 40) but it's not the last word in dynamics. If I lived in a small apartment they would be perfect.

5. FreiheitZecher

Steve, My current pair of LS3/5A's is the fourth pair I've owned. I sold the last three pairs telling myself I had to get a full-range, more dynamic speaker.(The AB1's woofs don't go low enough.)
    But that to-die-for midrange---the only speaker I have heard (next to the original Quads) that really does justice to Mel Tormé, Lotte Lehmann and Ella---keeps me coming back. Is there a "full-range" speaker under $4K that can duplicate the LS3/5a's midrange? Most of the speakers that are described as having a "transparent midrange" sound way too bright and artificial to me, especially ProAcs, Thiels, and my Mackie 824's. The Spendor SP1/2 comes close, but has a boxy upper bass: unacceptable.

6. Steve Hoffman

I understand what you are saying exactly. My big studio mastering speakers have a wonderful midrange but are too darn big for most any home type situation. The LS3/5A's that I have (Rogers parts, built by Stirling, unmodded) have the SAME midrange magic and they are so small. It tickles me that I can actually move them around from place to place, studio to studio and that same midrange will come right along. I love that about them.

7. 7_V

7_V New Member

Well, I'd call that keen.
    That's what I find really interesting. The midrange is superb yet the crossover point is in the midrange.

What are you aiming to gain with the modifications?

8. FreiheitZecher

The BBC Reference enclosures (available from Doug Stirling) were discussed in an article in HiFi News, June, 2001, comparing various iterations of the LS3/5A. In addition, the external Cicable crossovers (designed in conjunction with Derek Hughes) were the subject of a feature article by Ken Kessler in HiFi News, October, 2001. The benefits of both mods are discussed in those articles, also available on www.cicable.com.
    BTW, the expression "Now I'd call that keen" has been replaced on this side of the Atlantic with Saturday Night Live's Church Lady's comment, "Now isn't that special."

9. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

What about the mid-bass hump? For some music it made listening to other speakers weird because the exaggerated bass wasn't there anymore.

10. 7_V

7_V New Member

Yes, but if memory serves, wasn't that a question of them raising the cabinet Q to give the impression of more bass? They did this by making the cabinet smaller than was usual for the bass driver. This is out of the domain of the crossover.

And FreiheitZecher, I'm coming over to Denver, Co (with my speakers) at the beginning of September for 2 weeks. It will give me an opportunity to learn some new style American. I'll try and rid myself of all this old style, colonial English stuff.

BTW, if anyone's in the Denver region and would like to hear how my babies compare with the BBC monitors in the mid-range (admittedly at considerably more dosh) just drop me a note. You'd be most welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.