Beach Boys "Friends" LP: Capitol Starline label?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by action pact, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Starline was just a budget Capitol label. There should (in theory) be no difference between Starline pressings and any other regular Capitol label pressing.

Cassius likes this.
  2. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

What i played was from Great Britain. I believe Starline is an EMI label.

3. paolo

paolo Senior Member

S
    Sorry, I had assumed that you were in the US but the principle is the same. (Capitol was owned by EMI anyway)

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I was curious, at which plant were the "Starline" copies of Friends pressed? I'm betting my money it was the Jacksonville, IL plant which pressed some doozies over the years (a Starline issue of "We Can Work It Out" by The Beatles with the 5555 number, a U.S. pressing of the Canadian-only release of their "All My Loving" / "This Boy") . . .

Oh, and Starline was supposed to be their label for reissues (if 45's) or compilations (if LP's).

paolo likes this.
  5. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

The OP admitted a number of posts back he was wrong, and his copy of "Friends" was on the rainbow label, not the Starline one so it appears to have been a false alarm.

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Got me worried there for a minute. But in any case, Jacksonville had pressed some records on wrong labels (though, thankfully, not a case like a Glen Campbell album on an Apple label, let's say).

7. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Starline in the UK/Europe was a budget line just like Capitol's version in the US. Most UK "Starline" LP's I've seen are "Regal" records branded but may have other EMI imprints attached to it as well. Most are compilations of the same old, same old, but once in a while a real unique gem like that DC5 LP and that charity "No One's Gonna Change Our World" album squeaked out. They are great for collecting on those chances an alternate or first time stereo mix might pop up but I don't know of any other hot "must own" titles on the label. "MFP" (Music For Pleasure) is a similar EMI budget label.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, there was a German sourced Swinging Blue Jeans compilation LP either on Starline, MFP, or similar that was almost all true stereo, released at a time when almost none of their catalog was available in anything other than mono or fake stereo. Wish I could remember more, but I can't. Best part was, not only was "Hippy Hippy Shake" in stereo, but it had a countoff! (Ron Furmanek made sure to use that tape when he compiled his CD of the SBJ.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Mal likes this.
  8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Across The Universe" sounds great on that Starline LP, as does "Marley Purt Drive" :agree:

empirelvr likes this.
  9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Relics, the oddball but so great early Pink Floyd compilation.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got a 1982 pressing of FRIENDS on a Capitol
    Records green label ...

11. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Empirelvr...thanks for all the good info. Helps to confirm my ears did not deceive me with that DC5 lp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.