Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

The full stereo track multi's exist for Good Vibrations. The 2006 CD Single (40th Anniversary Single) has the stereo backing track.

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

It's not the full song with all the vocals, right? A true stereo mix of Good Vibrations can't be created -- or at least that's what I've always heard.

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The complete backing track exists on the multis. Some, but not all, vocals exist in multis. I heard isolated vocals from the master take on the Love and Mercy movie, so I know at least some exist.

4. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Mark Linett wrote back in ole '06, on SmileySmile board -
    "The 8 track for GV has been missing for a very long time (some think since at least 1967). The stereo track was assembled from the various original three and four track sessions and a copy of the final assembled 4 track (the original is also missing) The final 4 track provided the cellos and theramin in the chorus.

It was a lot of work but at last we have the track in true stereo."

IDwithnoE likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The backing track is true stereo. The stereo version on the Smiley Smile CD uses extraction technology. They have a tape with some single tracked backing vocals, which can be heard in the "Love & Mercy" movie. The rest is missing so a true stereo remix of the finished song is impossible.

I thought the stereo backing track found on the GV 40th anniversary CD single sounded quite good. The extracted stereo version seems much more narrow and unexciting.

goodiesguy, IDwithnoE and supermd like this.
  6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

::waiting for Holland::

7. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I know they're first world problems, but between these releases and anything from Mofi (I want the next two Cars albums, especially) it seems like we've been waiting an eternity since their announcements. I'm trying not to get too antsy.

8. Pants Party

:agree:

While I'm in for all the Kevin Gray SACDs -- I'm also excited to see if the remaining albums will be getting a hi-res download.

15 Big Ones
    Love You
    MIU
    L.A.
    Keepin' The Summer Alive
    The Beach Boys

:sweating:

9. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

How was the stereo version of "Good Vibrations" on the 1983 Beach Boys Rarities LP done? Is it an alternate take?

Derek

10. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I am getting impatient here. The last time we were made to wait this long someone emailed Acoustic Sounds. I guess I'll have a go at it.

supermd likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just sent one as well.

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It is September....

13. Daniel Plainview

I got so restless I actually broke down and bought three of the stereo AP vinyl pressings off eBay. Talk about opening an expensive can of worms.

I want to hear Drive-In in super-audio quality, dammit! Bring forth more product!

Then again, with the Bowie and Velvet sets coming, maybe it would be ok if they wait until January so I can regroup financially!

TeddyB likes this.
  14. Pants Party

Which SACDs are due next?

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I got a quick response from Acoustic Sounds:

"At this time I do not have a release date for this item. We do have to wait until we receive the information on when the release date will be and we will be updating our information on the website."

16. Daniel Plainview

:realmad:

17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Thanks! Now that saves me the five minutes I would have otherwise devoted to this project. I know this sometimes happens with other reissue campaigns, but for a band as important and beloved as the Beach Boys, this is beyond acceptable. I think part of the problem was seeing that Acoustic Sounds catalog promotion last year and literally staring at it for hours. I felt like a kid again, when I obsessed over a toy in the Sear catalog for months. Now it's more like having to wait three years for the next Star Wars installment. But at least you knew what you were getting into with those films. With these SACDs I am worried they will never see the light of day.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Lets hope their music quality continues to be better than the wording of this statement.

19. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

I got this similar response back on Thursday. I followed up and told them to let Chad know we're all hanging for it:

"Al,

I do apologize but at this time the label has not provided us with a exact release date. Signing up for our email newsletter would be a great idea because anytime we do receive new release dates we will send out an email.

Thank you"

supermd likes this.
  20. teag

teag Forum Resident

I buy quite a bit from them and I find these communications to be condescending. No transparency at all. Hey Chad, this is not world peace we are asking about. What's the true story?

Tommyboy likes this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I bought a bunch of records this week from Acoustic Sounds and in my package a flier was included promoting AP product. In it, there was mention that the next batch of BB releases are slated for late summer 2015. Essentially, that's 3 more weeks. I don't know if I believe it. We'll see.

hotsoup likes this.
  22. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I'm not sure which thread I should be posting in, but I just wanted to make sure Beach Boys fans know that Pet Sounds (mono/stereo) and Holland (stereo including "We Got Love") are now available as hi-resolution downloads through HDTracks and ProStudioMasters.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  23. beetlesonique

beetlesonique Forum Resident

Holland on HDtracks mentions "Mastering Engineer: Kevin Bartley / Capitol Studios"

Pants Party and NOS300B like this.
  24. Pants Party

Sounds like a stock answer. 2
    :drool: ....wait, Holland is supposed to get a SACD release, isn't it.

Must. Hold. Out.

25. Pants Party

Interesting... I imagine he's an in house Capitol guy. Probably doing a lot (all) of these releases -- Sinatra Capitols, etc. I know Steve said Capitol masters rarely leave Capitol.