Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I snagged the last four I needed.

supermd likes this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Bumping this thread - although I have all the Scoustic Sounds SACDs anyone who doesn't needs to jump on this. I wish I had waited to get 50% off! Amazing deal.

3. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Bought the 8 (!!!) titles I didn't have for $15 each and just arrived today.

Farmer's Daughter has static @1 sec, 1min, 1:05 & 1:13 on both mono & stereo versions. (redbook)
    Just checked my pastmasters and MFSL and neither of those has this.

art likes this.
  4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Finally got the Holland SACD and am impressed with "We Got Love", after never hearing the studio recording before. The organ playing is fantastic. This is "We Come Down (Part Deux)" in terms of the gospel feeling inherent in the arrangement. Recommended.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. I've been putting the Holland SACD through its paces recently and it's fantastic. Easily one of the best Beach Boys SACDs. I will never be able to hear the album in redbook quality ever again.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I got Holland as part of this sale, and it was my first time hearing the album. Honestly, I think it's pretty boring. "Sail On Sailor" and the whole California Saga are awesome and worth it, but every other song is a slow, dirgy slog. "We Got Love" was good, though. I may warm up to the album eventually, but right now, most of it does absolutely nothing for me.

7. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I *THINK* The Trader & Funky Pretty will grow on you pretty quickly after a couple more listens.

Gardo, yesstiles and mikew like this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Steamboat" right after "Sail On Sailor" is a DRAG.

yesstiles likes this.
  9. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Just got done translating this SACD over to 24/176 flac via the PS3 and I agree, it sounds great.

It's got a raw but warm sound which I like. Hope to listen again tomorrow through dac/amp & phones.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I love Carl’s vocals on “Steamboat” and “Only With You”. Fragile, achingly beautiful, they make those tracks essential for me.

11. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Has anybody had any problem playing the red book layer of their AP Pet Sounds? I just got a new sealed copy off of discogs and on my computer and car stereo their are audible glitches all over the place. Ripping it to ALAC has the same errors present as well.

My stereo is in boxes right now so I haven't been able to check out/test the SACD layer yet.

What I did hear of the first few tracks (in Stereo) before the glitches really laid on thick was incredible though! For my first impressions its not that much more detailed than the 50th Anniversary version, but the soundstage is more present, the instruments sound more realistic and the voices are less stridently EQd than the capitol mastering. Really pleased once I can listen to it glitch free.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hmmm... I have noticed a glitch on "God Only Knows" in stereo on the redbook AP release (a little pop). Maybe I will re-rip it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Mr. Explorer

Is it at about 4 seconds in? Thats the major offender but I've also noticed several in the first verse of Don't Talk, and small ones in a few places of I'm Waiting for the Day.

14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yep, that's it. Kinds hurts the song... Let me know if you are able to rip the whole album, glitch free.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Mr. Explorer

Thank you! Now we know its not just one disc's problem.

I started a thread this morning about it on the hardware side, and I posted my rip log there just now for a few folks to investigate. If you're interested in following the progress: SACD Redbook: Audible Errors on an Accurate Rip

supermd likes this.
  16. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I think the AP stereo is better EQ'd and a bit more natural sounding than the MFSL, though both are very nice.

The DCC mono sounds better to me than the AF...always has, and the tape sounds like its in much better shape. The AP is closer in sound to the DCC than the AF.

17. Mr. Explorer

Can anyone with the Pet Sounds AP disc listen to God Only Knows on the redbook layer and see if their copy has the same glitch as me and MD's? That's the most obvious problem area for a quick check

18. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Just checked, not on mine...........

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I did find this however & posted in an earlier* thread:
    RE:Surfin' USA SACD
    Farmer's Daughter has static @1 sec, 1min, 1:05 & 1:13 on both mono & stereo versions. (redbook)
    Just checked my pastmasters and MFSL and neither of those has this.

*Actually I think it was this thread.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Mr. Explorer

Thanks @Fox67 for the feedback. Very weird indeed...

Here are samples of the glitches for you guys to hear:

God Only Knows (obvious pop towards the left): God Only Knows Glitch Sample.wav

Don't Talk (by my count there are at least 7 nasty clicks here that bounce between the channels): Don't Talk Glitch Sample.wav

(someone let me know if those links aren't right :))

21. Mr. Explorer

Lots of clicks and pops during the instrumental fadeout of Caroline No as well, it often even sounds like clipping! How could this be going on on an audiophile release :confused:

22. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Damn, my ears are bad.......I can't pick those up.
    The ones I mentioned are glaring compared to those you posted, I can tell you that.
    Maybe my disc does have the pops.
    I have noticed my hearing is getting worse lately.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Yes. The little pop at about 0:04.

supermd and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

The Caroline NO I can hear some static during the fade

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Is it like a static sound?
    If so I can barely hear it but it took a few listens.

Mr. Explorer likes this.