Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" DVD-A "rant"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris C, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

None of the stores here carry SACD or DVD-A.

2. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I know I spend far more money on music on-line than I ever did visiting an actual store. It's just way too convenient (but not for my wallet).

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Amen. I think it odd that so many people complain that B & M stores don't have the latest release when THEY KNOW that those stores exist to sell you ranges, air conditioners, computers, washing machines. CD's and DVD's are eye candy; nothing more than loss leaders to get you into the store. Why have you abandoned your local music shop? Why have you abandoned the mom & pop shops whose BUSINESS is making sure he has the release you want on the day you want it? Could it be.....

prices??? Yep, I paid $65 for the Zep CD/DVD combo. Yep, that's way to much. Yep - I got 'em a week and a half BEFORE the street date. Yep - it was worth it to me. If I would have wanted the Chicago DVD-A, I could have asked him a month before - he would sell it to me before street date. Why? It's his job to know what's coming and what his customer wants. If you want that outrageous sale, the ones the stores LOOSE money on, wait until they stock it or re-stock it. You have the right to be angry that they didn't honor their promise, and they have the right to say, "We're so sorry, try again next week. Excuse me now - I have to ring up that wide screen TV and the guy buying cell phones for his whole family".

Of course, if you no longer have access to an independent "music shoppe", because those big stores ran 'em all out of business, I guess buying online is a more viable option. However, I seem to read many posts from people waiting for their delivery a week or 2 AFTER the release date. For me, I'll stick with my independent guy for new releases.

Because he knows, just like his customer do, the release date of that Pet Sounds DVD-A. He knows the difference between a DVD-A and an SACD. He's ready for you - - he's waiting for you. All ya gotta do is pay a little vig...

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Wish I still had one of those guys near me.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Uncle Al asked:

Well, the local, independent stores in my area have little to no selection of SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Also, these stores tend to have high prices relative to Best Buy and Circuit City. One of these businesses had three locations when I moved here two years ago. Now they have just one location. I go to that one location to browse through the used CDs. I never bother with the new stuff. There's no reason to.

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well - I said upfront that the independent store costs more, you are paying for the service many complain they aren't getting from Best Buy and Circuit City.

As far as selection, they usually have less than the big guys, but shopping at these stores requires communiction FROM the customer as well. If they know what you want, they will be sure it's there when you want it. Here's what you do. Go in next week and ask for the Pet Sounds DVD-A. They will tell you it's release date. Two weeks before release date, go in and ask again. They won't have it. Go in the week before release date and ask again. You will probably walk out of the store with it in your paws.

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

Dear fellow "Hoffmanites"...

My thanks for ALL of your advice and understanding regarding my original thread! I hate to admit that the "buy it on-line" way may be my ONLY real future choice of buying music. I'm one that really enjoys holding it in my hands BEFORE I buy something! I still get teary eyed when I start to miss that great old 12" x 12" artwork! Change sucks...PERIOD.

I guess WE (real music fans) will NEVER win, will we???

Thanks again,
    Chris C

P.S. My apologies to MUDBONE for missing his day earlier "same-themed" thread, which is also worthy of your reading time!

8. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Uncle Al is absolutely right!! While I prefer to support my local (non-chain) record dealers as much as possible, if you want a chain to carry something, you have to let them know there is demand for it.

Speak to the department manager or better yet try to get in touch with the music buyer -- it isn't as difficult as you may think. You can't be passive with this stuff, you need to let them know it exists and you would buy it from them if they offered it.

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi Chris, I don't view it that way. We all have our frustrations out there in the "real world" with these things. My thread certainly wasn't the first about this and I don't think your's will be the last!

mud-:D

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

There are a couple of local "independents" where I frequently shop, though the success of both of them caused them to grow into mini-chains (Amoeba and Streetlight Records). Unfortunately the Amoeba in San Francisco has all of their dvd-a's and SACD's at floor level right by the cash register line, making it somewhat difficult to peruse them. At least they have a good selection, though, if not quite the best prices. Streetlight has a few used dvd-a's, but apart from a few hybrid SACD's (Mahler, Police, Rolling Stones) I've never seen any SACD's there.

I do like to support local businesses, especially music stores. My preorders of "Come Away With Me", "Everything Must Go", and "Chicago II" at CircuitCity.com for $13.99 each had the discs in my hands on the days they were released (or at least within a couple of days). I buy most of my hi-rez titles online but most cd's in a brick and mortar store.

11. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

See, Chris, I'm with you. I still really enjoy browsing in a store with a great selection of stuff. Alas, such stores are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Perhaps it really does have something to do with the rise of the superstores that sell music as a loss leader. Or maybe illicit MP3 downloads have contributed to the problem.

All I know is that my options here in Western PA are fairly limited, and if I want something that is a bit offbeat, or an indy release, I have to turn to the online retailers. I do have access to a decent selection of SACD's and DVD-A's at my local Best Buy, but I have yet to find a single indy retailer that carries any of these items.

One exception: I recently visited my old hometown of RIchmond, VA, where I went to Plan 9 records, my once-favorite haunt for all things cool. While they have grown somewhat and now have several stores, their selection and service was as good as always. I bought the new Jayhawks on vinyl, the reissue of Michelle Shocked's "Texas Campfire Tapes" as well as a used copy of Steve's Don Covay remaster on Razor & Tie, none of which I have seen here in Pittsburgh.

So while good music retailing is not dead yet, it appears to be barely breathing...

Chris

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Chris ,
    Have you tried Paul's CD's in Bloomfield? I've been buying there for years.
    If there's something you want that he doesn't have in stock I almost guarantee he, or one of the guys, will order it for you. He also has a nice selection of new vinyl.
    All around great guys.... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.