Beach Boys stereo mixes: Today/Summer Days/Wild Honey

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jsrstereo, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Will we ever see stereo re-mixes of:

Today
    Summer Day (& Summer Nights)
    Wild Honey

???

2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Well first of all any stereo mixes would be remixes. There are no vintage stereo mixes for these albums.

Many/most songs from these two have been stereoed, and different people have different views as to how good the (very recent) remixes are.

Wild Honey, I dunno, I don't think anything from that has been stereoed except what's on Stacks O Tracks (minus vocals, of course).

I wouldn't hold my breath for any of these to be released as standalone, full-length stereo remixes.

3. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

There have been a few remixes of the Today!/Summer Days tracks on the "Endless Harmony", "Hawthorne USA" "The Warmth Of The Sun" and "U.S. Singles Collection: The Capitol Years 1962 - 1965". And there are some very rough remixes on the Unsurpassed Masters boots. But some tracks are missing vocal overdubs that were probably added during final mixdowns.

And I have read on other Beach Boy forums that there are several master tape boxes missing in the vaults from the Today/Summer Days era. (probably from info from Mark Linett). So its doubtful that these two classic albums will ever be completely remixed in stereo.

I don't know the status of the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey tapes.

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The "Beach Boys Hawthorne, CA: Birthplace of a Musical Legacy" album had a stereo remix of "Let The Wind Blow".

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

If they were to do them as good as the Pet Sounds stereo mixes, I'd be all for those albums in stereo.

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Hopefully there wouldn't be any missing elements, like on the Pet Sounds stereo remixes.

7. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Short answer: god, I hope not!

Less short answer: if they continue the Beach Boys stereo remixing trend of late, I will pass.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, that's because:

1. The tape of Brian's 2nd lead vocal on You Still Believe In Me is lost *Though if you can take his 1 lead vocal on the Stack O'Vocals, double it and add it to the backing track, you'll get very close to what it should really sound like.
    2. Mike's vocal on the bridge of Wouldn't It Be Nice and Brian's lead vocal on the closing tag of God Only Knows were both recorded during the mix. There's no way to isolate...they're locked into the mono mixdown.
    3. A percussion part in the title track was also absent...IIRC, it's because it was added during the mixdown. Not sure though.

9. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

The "Wild Honey" track on Stack-O-Tracks, besides missing the vocals, is also absent that organ part at the instrumental break, and some of the bongos are missing or muted near the beginning of the song. If the Wild Honey single was remixed to stereo, I suspect it would be missing those parts also.

10. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

What, you don't want a stereo Smiley Smile?!?!?!

Seriously, I'd enjoy hearing well-mastered stereo remixes of these albums. I know Brian wanted 'em in mono and all that, but mono isn't always better IMO. A little stereo separation would be nice, and something has to be said for the fact that out of the entire recording industry, Brian Wilson was the only one (that I know of) not to have accepted stereo as late as 1967.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Phil Spector wasn't a fan either - and he was Brian's guru so to speak.

Here's what he thought of stereo in the 70s (note the "Back to MONO" pin):

[​IMG]

:)

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Shows what I know.

Well, as long as I got two ears, I'll be happy to hear a good stereo mix any day. :) Not that I dislike mono when done right, mind you. But a prime example I've cited before is the 7" mix of "Heroes and Villains". WAY too much going on in that track to be squashed down to mono. And playing that original Brother 7" against almost any other mono single released around the same time, it just sounds like a muddy mess in comparison.

13. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hey,you never know what might be floating around in this,great,big SEA OF TUNES.........

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

oh yea, swimmingly.:)

15. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Actually, the Wild Honey Stack o' Tracks tracks are mono.

16. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

you know I actually prefer the stereo mix of 'You Still Believe In Me'. I like the mono mix two, but his single voice instead of the double tracked version just comes out clearer for me.

17. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Based on some "unauthorized releases" some years back, Wild Honey would not seem to be a good candidate for a stereo remix. Smiley Smile, maybe.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I recently picked up The Warmth of the Sun, and found the stereo remixes of "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Let Him Run Wild" to be quite good. You can hear vocals and instrumental parts that are buried in the original mono mixes.

19. jsrstereo

jsrstereo Forum Resident Thread Starter

What he said. That's probably the main reason I like stereo mixes of Beach Boys songs I've previously heard only in mono.

20. I think Smiley Smile and Wild Honey both sound better in stereo.

21. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

BTW,there has been a renegade "Smiley Smile/Wild Honey" Stereo file someone put up at a website (NO,I'll won't say which one!) which is a B---l--! Wouldn't recommend it to download it,tho'! So,you can say someone's already done this..only,not legally!:shake:

22. I thought Brian did re-record the bridge vocal for "Wouldn't it be nice" and by doing so erased Mike's original vocal on the multitrack. I believe he was originally unhappy with Mike's vocal and decided to do it himself, but then aftewards decided he liked Mike's vocal better after all. According to the notes in one of the 90s/00s CDs (I don't know which one as I have several of them in my collection) Mike's vocal was cut from a previous mono mix and inserted into a new mixdown.

Brian did not record the ending of "God only knows" during the mix, he just filled in for Carl who wasn't present at the session where the vocals for the ending were recorded. In the end Carl did record his vocal (the one in the stereo mix), but Brian decided to use a mixdown featuring his vocal, not Carl's.

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wow, I can't stand his vocal on the stereo mix - sounds like a rough guide vocal to me.

24. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I think that Denny was originally chosen to do the second vocal of the first one you mentioned,but he was surfin' (He'd snuck out during the tracking session),so Mike was called in to do his vocal.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.