Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Received my Stereo 45 Pet Sounds from Amazon today. I have a small split inside the gatefold where the second disc rubs up against. May or not replace it. Can't wait to listen to this...

2. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I recieved the 45rpm's this morning. 'Surfer Girl' sounds wonderful. I'll dig into both Pet Sounds this evening. Lovely thick gatefold sleeves, great packaging.

3. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I bought the 45rpm mono after much debate since I'm in the UK and the total cost with customs fees etc. comes to about $65.. It's very rare that I even pay half that for a record!

It does sound lovely but unfortunately there's a pressing fault on side 1, with a series of small bumps along the surface that cause ticks. I've certainly heard worse, but on something that's this much of an investment obviously your tolerance gets lowered quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this? It's going to be a bit of a hassle returning it back over the pond and I assume the replacement will be liable for yet more customs fees so I thought it was probably sensible to check it wasn't a widespread issue before starting the ball rolling.

I've also got a split inside the gatefold like Matthew up there but, while annoying, I'm not super bothered about something if I can't hear it.

4. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I'll check my Mono in a bit. It's ever so slightly off center but I don't think enough to warrant a return. No bumps I can see (or clicks I can hear) but I only just briefly put it on when I read your post. I'll give it a full spin this afternoon.....

Mumdad likes this.
  5. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I played the Mono all the way through and my copy sounds fine.....so you may just have a bad copy.

Mumdad likes this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Loved the Pet Sounds 200 gram Mono 33 speed vinyls from last year. That vinyl sounds incredible.

Just got my copies of Pet Sounds 45 RPM 200 gram Mono vinyls in mail today. Love the gatefold packaging and the anti static sleeves. 1st class presentation and packaging. The vinyls are pristine. Just vacuumed them tonight will ultrasonic clean by the weekend or early next week.

Than the inevitable spin. Can't wait.

7. Pretty.Odd.

I got the stereo and really do enjoy it. I also own the 33 version and i do think it is a SLIGHT upgrade. IMO, not worth the money IF you already own the AP 33rpm edition. If you don't own that, go for this new 45rpm version. It's nice to have the gatefold cover as well.

389 Tripower and DPC like this.
  8. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

Received my mono and stereo Pet Sounds 45 RPM last week. Record 1, side 1 of the mono is off-center, and record 2, side 1 of the stereo has a tic-tic at the end of "God Only Knows" for about 10 seconds, with a visible flaw in the vinyl. I called Soundstage Direct, and they were happy to exchange them, and sent me a prepaid shipping label. They are in the mail back to them now. First time I've had an issue with any of the Analogue Productions discs, and lightning struck twice on the same order...

I will say that, in my opinion, the reproduction technology has reached the limits of the recording technology on the mono, and to me the 45 RPM isn't an upgrade from the epic Analogue Productions 33 1/3 RPM edition, but the 45 RPM stereo is amazing in its reproduction of transient details, and is now my reference copy (or will be when I get a replacement!).

LeeGriffin and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have a mono from the double lp Carl and the Passions. Is this 45 rpm mono better? And is the stereo actually now surpassing the mono in terms of desirability?

10. Sam

Sam Senior Member

As for stereo, I have the 1999 Ron McMaster mastered Capitol pressing. Is the new stereo 45 better than that one?

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes. Much better.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Very very much better.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I had the 1999 double LP that was McMastered and sold it one I received the AP stereo RPM pressing, which sounded a lot better. The 45RPM stereo pressing is even better.

Clanceman likes this.
  14. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

It's worth noting the 1999 has the original stereo mix on it, with Brian's bridge vocal on WIBN, and the single track vocal on YSBIM, where I'm assuming the AP has the new mixes.

Al Smith likes this.
  15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Soooooo, it's hard to decide which one to buy. The classic mono that hasn't been "remixed" in 45 rpm or, apparently, this new "remixed" stereo that sonically is the cat's ass. Help a fellow out here boys. I can't afford both. Is the new mono 45 rpm better than the mono version found on the 2fer "Carl and the Passions?"

16. Pretty.Odd.

Yes, it is much better. I recommend the mono 33rpm AP and the stereo 45rpm AP pressings. The quality difference between the mono AP 33 and 45 isnt much. Save yourself a few bucks.

Clanceman and FJFP like this.
  17. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I haven't grabbed the 45 RPM yet, but I have compared the AP 33 mono with my WLP of the Carl & The Passions version. I like both.

The CATP version done by Artisan is much brighter with a lot of high frequency detail not found in any other version. It's enjoyable and the extended highs are swell for the gorgeous vocal harmonies.

Kevin's 33 is great cohesive and tight take on the mono with extended and detailed bass , and nice warmth.

I dig both, but typically roll with Steve's DCC vinyl when I want to hear the mono. It has a tubeyness and an overall massive sound that captures the mid 60s best to my ears.

I'm likely to grab the Stereo 45 and pass my 33 on as a gift a bit later this year.

Clanceman likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Go for the stereo 45RPM.

Clanceman and Cassius like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Surfer Girl 45 sounds incredible.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  20. LeeDempsey

Well, my saga of the 45 RPM Pet Sounds continues... Received my replacement copies, and Record 1, side 1 of the STEREO is now off-center, and record 2, side 1 of the MONO has three very visible and audible scratches on the last track ("Here Today")... Once again, Soundstage Direct sent me a prepaid return label as soon as I called them. But I can't help but wonder what's going on in QRP's quality control department...

FJFP likes this.
  21. LeeDempsey

A further update: Soundstage Direct has offered me a refund, as they feel that it will be a challenge for them to get a "perfect" set. Yesterday I got a surprise call directly from Chad Kassem at Analogue Productions, and he is going to send me a set that his team has personally inspected. Chad, whom I've spoken to before, gave me a hard time me for not buying them directly from his retail presence, Acoustic Sounds, in the first place! :) He said that the return volume on these titles has been very low -- less than 10 copies -- so we just chalked it up to a streak of bad luck on my behalf. One possible explanation Chad offered for the scratches on brand new vinyl is fragments of stray vinyl trim that somehow got into the sleeves during assembly. I certainly appreciated Chad's call, and his candor.

I was also told that AP hasn't made much money on this Beach Boys series, as the market seems to be confused by the competing 180g releases by Capitol/Universal at a lower price point. The mysterious appearance of an abundance of "not-for-sale" industry promo SACD copies of the AP titles at several independent west coast retailers, being sold for less than half of retail, didn't help sales either...

I'll continue to sound like a broken record -- pun intended -- and say that, in my opinion, this AP series is the reference by which all Beach Boys analog and digital releases should be sonically measured. Please support an independent record label and manufacturer, and consider adding some of the AP titles to your collection. You won't be disappointed.

Lee

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Disappointing to hear this, but not surprising considering the circumstances, I suppose. If I had the money I'd buy the whole line again just to show my support. I don't have money, thus I will simply continue to rant and rave to anyone who will listen. It's maddening that we can't at least get Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 to plug that substantial hole in the catalog. I'll continue to pray to whatever invisible musical deity that oversees this chaos.

23. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

I'm looking to trade a sealed 45rpm MONO Pet Sounds for the 45rpm STEREO version. I put a thread in the WTB/Trade forum.

Hope this doesn't violate a forum rule to put a link here (let me know!). I figured this would be a good thread to get the right person's attention.

24. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Hey Lee - did Chad happen to comment on the off centering issue, which I recall was also a problem for the PS 33/3’s?

Happy to say my two play fine! AP rules!

Will Harris and johnnybrum like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

And others. I gave up trying to find a mono Shut Down that wasn’t off center.

johnnybrum likes this.