Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiggy22

jiggy22 Forum Resident

To be fair though, that's exactly what we were saying about Wild Honey not just one year ago!

WonkyWilly, John Manning and FJFP like this.
  2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Took long enough to come, but come it did today. Sounds lovely, very happy.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I have read and re-read the liner notes and can't find where this is stated in them...

FJFP likes this.
  4. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

My apologies for that mistake. I was reading so many things about the release at the time, that I got them confused. It was actually on page 37 of the Summer 2017 Edition, Issue 118, Volume 39, Number 3 of Endless Summer Quarterly. From Alan Boyd "On the original line up of tracks that were going to be a "live" album, there were two tracks from the Michigan concert (Detroit, November 1967) that were going to be included... "Barbara Ann" and " You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"."

5. Six Bachelors

Thanks for the reply and for clarifying it. Just had me confused.

I think they should have included them on Sunshine Tomorrow...just for completeness. Now I'll have to get that Michigan release. Doesn't seem to show up in the Australian iTunes store though...

FJFP likes this.
  6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Yeah, it's not on the UK one either... When's soniclovenoize going to make the "real" Lei'd in Hawaii"?

willy, pobbard and Six Bachelors like this.
  7. drbeachboy

Very strange, as it was only released digitally. Alan Boyd stated that they didn't want to add tracks from previous releases so they could save space for other unreleased material.

8. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I've got the made in the EU 2-cd release..........are there any differences vs the US version?

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Nope.

Fox67 likes this.
  10. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Thanks!

supermd likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Has there ever been a confirmed track-listing for Lei'd In Hawaii?

12. drbeachboy

Someone at the PetSounds Forum posted a track list, but I am not sure if it was guess work or the actual listing. I cannot recall Mark Linett or Alan Boyd ever posting one.

13. drbeachboy

It looks as though the Lei'd In Hawaii tracks are in "Live" album order on Sunshine Tomorrow, minus the two Michigan tracks. Here is the track list from PSF:

Side 1
    Fred Vail Intro
    The Letter
    You're So Good To Me
    Help Me, Rhonda
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (Michigan 1966 track) {Between Rhonda & California Girls on the Michigan shows}
    California Girls
    Surfer Girl

Side 2
    Sloop John B
    With A Little Help From My Friends
    Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
    God Only Knows
    Good Vibrations
    Barbara Ann (Michigan 1966 track) {Song ends both Hawaii shows, so most likely placing on the album}

14. Six Bachelors

Except that they included Surf's Up from the Wild Honey sessions (admittedly with the extra bits at the start) which was released fairly recently...

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

And you know, I'll take it. I think it's such a cool, important recording that I'll take more of it if I can.

cwitt1980 and FJFP like this.
  16. Six Bachelors

Me too. I was just pointing out that Alan Boyd's justification for leaving off the Michigan tracks, which would have given us a complete Lei'd album, didn't apply to another track included on the very same disc.

FJFP and supermd like this.
  17. drbeachboy

I doubt that either Mark or Alan were aware that the Michigan Shows were only available to a select market.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Six Bachelors

Perhaps but they ought to have known that they were only available in lossy audio.

Anyway, no big deal. I'd rather have any of the ten tracks we get in mono on this than either of those.

FJFP likes this.
  19. modernlvr

modernlvr Forum Resident

Anyone else having problems playing this? Mine won't play on either of my CD players.

I suspect it's due to the length, but I've had no problems with long discs before.

Apologies for not reading all 72 pages to check....

20. drbeachboy

Per the Fall Issue of ESQ Quarterly, here is the track listing from the almost completed master tape for Lei'd In Hawaii:

The Letter
    You're So Good To Me
    Help Me, Rhonda
    California Girls
    God Only Knows
    Surfer Girl

Sloop John B.
    With A Little Help From My Friends
    Barbara Ann
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
    Good Vibrations

21. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Do we know which exact performances they came from?

22. drbeachboy

You mean from the Michigan shows? I haven't read the whole article, but the box where the track list was did not state from which show they were pulled from. There were only two shows, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which were the better sounding, no dropouts, best performance of those two tracks.

FJFP likes this.
  23. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just picked this 2CD BB set, but haven't had a chance to listen to it.

Darryl

24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I haven't read all 72 pages, but has anyone noticed that between the final stanza and final chorus, the people who mixed the stereo version forgot to include the extra two beats that are on the mono version?

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Are you referring to A Thing Or Two? The pause is missing on the 2001 twofer as well. Not sure why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.