Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The album is so short they can fit mono and stereo on one disc and still have room left over for additional materials. And then a whole second disc of stuffs. What stuffs? They can give us some studio outtakes or put the Hawaii concert and or rehearsals on there. At the very least "Lonely Days", "Surf's Up '67", "Cool Cool Water", "The Letter", "A Little Help From My Friends", the longer version of "I Was Made To Love Her". "Game of Love". I'm not sure if "Honey Get Home" is much more than a rough backing track. We shall see. They always manage to scrape up stuff we had no idea existed in the first place.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Daniel Plainview

I agree.....particularly if they can let Analogue Productions handle it! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i'm not banking on a multi-disc deluxe release per se, but like (i think) the zodiac said, something along the lines of the recent beach boys party unplugged release would be most welcome--a very healthy amount of bonus material alongside what was essentially a great remix (albeit without the party sounds, etc).

(come to think of it, is that the first "re-release" we've had that DIDN'T make a point of including the album as originally released?)

either way, wild honey mono/stereo would fit on 1 disc with LOTS of room to spare, so this release might include a ton of goodies...

smitquest

4. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

I agree Zodiac & smitquest. I'm hoping they fit all the original album material on the first disc, and whole bunch of goodies on the second disc. It would be amazing if there were anything more of Lonely Days, I love that snippet. Even if anything more was just instrumental it would be great. Outtakes, the Hawaii material, etc- any of that would be worthwhile. I'm a Beach Boys nut, I love listening to all the outtakes and studio chatter. If there is anything left in the vaults from the 60s, I want to hear it, even if it's ridiculous. There was so much creativity overflowing from them at that point that there's bound to be things that have moments of brilliance.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I've seen "Surf's Up '67" mentioned a few times in this thread, but I can't find any information about it. Would someone please enlighten me about it?
    Thanks!

6. Daniel Plainview

I'm still hoping for more bottom of the barrel "Smile" scraps. "Ball & Mit"! More Jasper Dailey tracks!

Mr. Explorer and ScienceFriction like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

willy and ScienceFriction like this.
  8. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

The WH tracks that were remixed for Made in California all suck.

A decent mono version that bests Pastmasters is all I want.

9. Daniel Plainview

'"67 Surfs Up" has already been included in the Smile Sessions box but it seems like they will include it again, as it contains that trademark Wild Honey piano sound and comes from that period. Alan Boyd has said that it was not a formal recording, Brian was just testing the piano, but ah, to dream that there is a mythical version of "Wild Honey" that is merely a revamped "Smile" in disguise played on a detuned piano!

Aren't You Glad
    Surf's Up
    Cool Cool Water (The Elements Part 3)
    Country Air (The Elements Part 4)
    Wild Honey
    Darlin'
    I'm in Great Shape (Mama Says)
    Here Comes The Night
    I'd Love Just Once To See You
    The Letter
    A Thing or Two
    Let The Wind Blow

See label for track order

10. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Should I just assume they'll be skipping over Smiley Smile and everything we're going to get related to that is on the Smile Sessions? I've always loved that record, as much as anything else weird they did. The cover art is fantastic. It feels weird to get Wild Honey without Smiley Smile. I guess that two-fer really grew on me, I listened to them back to back for so long.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They may want to do their own thing with the albums not reissued by Capitol in 2012 (Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Love You, etc.). Then, after we have paid them, they will license it to AP for "betterment." Works for me. As long as we get SACD/vinyl masterings of the rest of their albums from Kevin Gray/AP, I'll be a happy surfer.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You make great points. I can even see them not release the mono version and instead focus on stereo remix and outtakes, just like Party Unplugged: Unplugged mix and outtakes. I'd be OK with that. They already remastered this album in mono for iTunes and hi-res.

Mr. Explorer and MarkusGermany like this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That works really well, in my opinion.

I love the chill vibe of Wild Honey.

trumpet sounds and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The 'Smiley Smile' stereo was a bit of a revelation IMHO.

15. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Not to my ears, it doesn't. Let The Wind Blow is a 2001 remix. Darlin' sounds great! One of the rare stereo mixes that has the same kind of omph as the mono single. Wild Honey didn't turn out too bad, considering what parts they had to work with. The only one that I wasn't too crazy about was Country Air. Brian is way too out front (which was done purposely, IMO), but it takes away the sereneness and beauty of the original.

willy, Mr. Explorer and John Manning like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Don't you mean CARL is way out front on "Country Air"?

17. drbeachboy

Well, actually both Carl and Brian. Nonetheless, the leads are not nestled nicely into the rest of the group vocals as with the mono. Sounds though, like there may be some missing overdubs on the stereo mix.

Mr. Explorer and John Manning like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, it is jarringly louder than it used to be.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. drbeachboy

With all the missing parts (due to re-recording over the original tapes) a stereo remix will never sound like the original recording with about a 1/2 dozen or more of the songs.

Mr. Explorer and John Manning like this.
  20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

...and that was great.

supermd likes this.
  21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I didn't like the way there was reverb on the vocals for the entire mix of the stereo LTWB, unlike the mono mix where it very effectively disappears during the "Let the bees make honey, let the poor find money..." section, giving it more urgency.

Mr. Explorer and entropyfan like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I wonder if Mark will remix the entire album from scratch for this release.

John Manning likes this.
  23. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

I'm hoping so, at least as much as is possible.

24. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

"Don't be naughty," mama says.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'm in!!!!

davenav likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.