Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeDempsey

LeeDempsey Forum Resident

The riff in the Lei'd in Hawaii version of "Surfin'" is actually from "Underwater" by the Frogmen -- perhaps not coincidentally, also released on the same Candix label as "Surfin" ("Surfin" was Candix 301, and "Underwater" was Candix 314). But you're right -- that riff must have stuck in Brian's head until he recorded "Do It Again."

Lee

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Interesting! Here it is for those who are curious:

3. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

When I’m paying +$50 plus for a live album of one of my favorite bands, yeah, I feel I have the right to be a little critical of the content, if I choose. The personal attacks on this site are why I hardly post anymore.

If you enjoy listening to Country Air live in Detroit, with him interrupting mid song to ask if anyone in the audience “knows hot to whistle, haha” and then jokingly whistling out of tune, by all means enjoy. It annoys me now, and it would have annoyed me if I was there. It takes one out of the beauty of the song, making its very first performance a punchline instead of a statement of the wonderful album that was just about to be released.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  4. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I might burn vol 2 to a CD to make Sunshine Tomorrow into a 3 disc set. Then I'll need to make up some custom artwork to put into the tray! I love this stuff, its endlessly fascinating, and definitely not all bands inner workings are this enjoyable to listen to.

granata, D.B., Hep Alien and 7 others like this.
  5. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

It is what happened, it is history. It is what Mike Love did in concert. Most fans know this already and it is part of the experience. I guess the band should have kept these shows locked away for another 50 years? As to personal attacks, it wasn’t personal at all. I don’t know you from Adam. If that kind of thing bothers you, then maybe you shouldn’t post. As a reader I have to put up with reading it. It works both ways.

Mr. Explorer and John Manning like this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Given the exhaustive treatment we've seen of the post-Smile period with the Sunshine Tomorrow sets, why couldn't they release a round up of some of the extra stuff they missed on the Smile set like the original Wilson edits of "Child" and "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow", the original "Barnyard" without fly-ins, etc., maybe some new stereo mixes (particularly "Worms"!). I'm sure that there would be plenty of interest in a set like that, either as a physical release or even just a download.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I agree. "Smile Addendum" with acetate edits, "Ball and Mit", and tracks free of fly-ins would have been ideal. And what about stereo "Fall Breaks" backing vocals? How am I supposed to roll my own stereo "Fire"?

I just played their "Smile" last week for the first time in ages and nearly vomited each time the limp "child child child" vocals appeared in "Look". Just awful, amateur hour crap. And totally unecessary. "Look" plays just fine as an instrumental. Adding a couple syllables just makes it sound more unfinished that it did in the first place.

Maybe they feel the "Smile Sessions" box was so thorough they should just let it remain the last word on the project. But I sure wouldn't have minded a few more scraps to work with.

And I would give my left....no, make that BOTH of my thingies for the opportunity to hear the remaining Jasper Dailey tracks. "Teeter Totter Love" was the highlight of the Smile Sessions box. I get down on my knees and beg Mark Linett each night before I go to bed to please please please give us more.

mikeddonn, ash1, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  8. drbeachboy

Brian said in 2011 when the box set was issued, that it was the way he wanted us to hear it. I believe he meant how it was arranged and sequenced on BWPS and that was what was done, as closely as possible to it. Also, who’s to say that they are not holding stuff back for a future release, say for a tenth anniversary release in 2021. Smile material is a release that can stand on it’s own. It is probably the only post Pet Sounds album that can do so due to its mythology, alone.

Mr. Explorer and John Manning like this.
  9. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

Unless Brian Wilson has said that's where the melody came from, I think that's far from conclusive evidence. Just my opinion.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Anybody know why the live download is so expensive?

11. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

Hey Bubba, hope you're well.

I wonder if the price is a mild deterrent - while Mark and Alan want this stuff to get to the fans, the record company is doing it simply to retain copyright, which kind of implies they might - just might do something grander with it the future. If all of us fans have already got it, we might not buy it again no matter how big the glossy accompanying booklet and how beautiful the hand-embossed olive wood presentation box.

By charging a high fee now they recoup the investment in putting this out there (and then some) while protecting the saleability of any future product that uses the same material.

Just a cynical theory… no idea really.

12. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

“Dearly beloved we are gathered here to...”

Really Mike, this joke needed to be said during every performance of Good Vibrations:doh:

I was so looking forward to this release, but he is so unbearably obnoxious on all the November 67 performances, I’m having a hard time appreciating them. God bless you Carl for leading the band from this point, your voice is what helps me overcome the Mike Luhv comedy hour to enjoy the MUSIC

13. drbeachboy

The lossy files work out to be about $0.47 a song. When I was kid a 45 Single cost $0.99 and that was for two songs. So, per song Sunshine Live is about $0.02 per song cheaper. Most songs today are either $0.99 or $1.29 per song. Not bad for 2017.

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

One must realize that The Beach Boys are a commercial enterprise built upon the bedrocks of beach party songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Barbara Ann", "Surfin' Safari", and "Dance, Dance, Dance". For M. Love not to treat his guests to a party atmosphere of witty Southern California banter complete with funeral jokes would be to render the complete Beach Boys experience and establishment null and void.

15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The Beach Boys have always been about family to me. A big part of it has, anyway. Mike will always bust his cousins' chops. It's what brothers/family do. It never bothered me that Mike injected levity and screwed around. Broke up the moment or whatever. Brothers do that stuff (we probably can't post a lot of the stuff Dennis did). I have brothers and wouldn't expect any less. I understand that and it has no affect on my enjoyment.

I also completely understand people not seeing it that way ...and only seeing Mike as just a buzz-kill to their moment. That's a totally valid point for the reasons that people listen to music. This becomes more pronounced as the Beach Boys started to branch out into more sensitive/artistic areas. That direction would attract a broader audience with different sensibilities.

But I know Mike digs beautiful music -- otherwise he wouldn't have been able to have been a participant and valid contributor. His antics on stage are the result of him assuming a familiar role.

D.B., Chuckee, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Fixed that for ya.

17. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Mike's onstage banter was hard graft, ultimately laying the groundwork for his 1988 RnR Hall of fame speech.

18. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I somehow missed this in June. The remix makes the original album sound like a demo tape. Nothing short of relevatory.

MarkusGermany, Mr. Explorer and FJFP like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't know, there is a lot of repetition with the live performances. Even if there is some sort of archival live set in the future (the 1972/1973 live tapes are screaming for some sort of official release), I suspect only a selection of the previously released (downloadable) content will be recycled on CD. The price point may very well have to do with the fact that this live download is equivalent to 5 CDs worth of material. It is a lot of music; they don't want to just give it away.

20. Jeff Chandler

Jeff Chandler Forum Resident

One would think that after hearing SMILEY SMILE and WILD HONEY a few hundred times over the years, SUNSHINE TOMORROW - 2 (the studio cuts) would not be that revelatory. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong. Simply fascinating and incredibly enjoyable listening, with moments in nearly every track jumping out at me because of hearing vocals and/or instruments previously buried under the released mixes. One of my favorite Beach Boys releases in ages! Can't wait for 1968 and what will be released from the vaults in 2018!

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Same here!

Lewisboogie and marmalade166 like this.
  22. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

This... :wave:

Basenote66 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

WOW! Not sure if I ever posted my own thoughts here about it but I bought Sunshine Tomorrow on CD back on release day, and like others have said, the stereo WH and all of the session material was an absolute revelation to me as a long time fan of these 2 albums.

I had no idea that these new release came out last week until last night! I saw that the thread title here was slightly change but didn't put much stock in it. I was a few pages behind anyways and didn't want to catch up (haha), but seeing the thread at all inspired me to listen to some Beach Boys. So I fired up Apple Music and the first thing on the Beach Boys page was Sunshine Tomorrow 2?? 2!!! Needless to say I caught up on this thread at lightening speed while listening to the whole new release.

I love it. Some posters here have expressed boredom or apathy at hearing "just" backing tracks and a cappella's, but to me they are endlessly fascinating. I am ESPECIALLY loving listening to Little Pad in both instrumental and a cappella versions back to back. That song in particular has really come to life for me through both of these releases.

Buying the FLAC version of Sunshine 2 off 7Digital right now, as this is one thing I don't want to disappear if my streaming subscription lapses.

(The Live stuff is of less interest to me, but I'll check it out on streaming for sure if there are any highlights anyone points out here).

24. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I've made a neat Wild Honey DX 2 disc set a Mono and Stereo on disc 1, all the studio stuff from ST1+2 for WH fits on disc two, WITH my edit of a full stereo HSBI.

Hep Alien, Pants Party and Rupe33 like this.
  25. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

You speak the truth Zodiac. More Smile is certainly required at this point and I agree with your observations as to the flaws of the box album mix .
    I'm In Great Shape acetate wherever it went is probably my number one "wish to hear" of anything by anyone.
    On a long drive to Scotland my young kids had to suffer my continued astonishment at the Heroes and Villains disc in the box and, well, all of the box set but they absolutely peed themselves laughing at Teeter Totter Love. I had to play it numerous times while they rolled around (with their seatbelt on I hasten to add) singing along with Jasper at the top of their voices declaring how brilliant it was.
    Much as I love them (my kids and my testicles) I have decided that two kids is enough and I would be happy to donate both my testicles along with yours if it would secure the release of the rest of the Jasper Dailey tracks (er, and the I'm In Great Shape acetate).
    A book with photos of all the tape box info and recording sheets from all the sessions wouldn't go unread either. Release everything Smile. I'll buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.