Beady Eye album - 'BE' out 10th June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadman, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadman

deadman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Out on Columbia Records. Produced by Dave Sitek.

Cover art (NSFW!!!) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/BE_Artwork.jpg

First track, Flick of the Finger on the official YouTube page:

Tracklisting
    1. Flick of The Finger
    2. Soul Love
    3. Face The Crowd
    4. Second Bite of The Apple
    5. Soon Come Tomorrow
    6. Iz Rite
    7. I'm Just Saying
    8. Don't Brother Me
    9. Shine A Light
    10. Ballroom Figured
    11. Start Anew

Deluxe version bonus tracks
    12. Dreaming of Some Space
    13. The World’s Not Set in Stone
    14. Back After The Break
    15. Off at The Next Exit

Thoughts? Very impressed with Flick of the Finger, sounding nothing like the first record, which the band, and Liam in particular seems to be disowning.

alexpop likes this.
  2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh are they disowning the 1st album now, after crowing how it was the best ever...I wonder what Oasis albums they are disowning as well...

this track is hot. that video must have set them back about $500 bucks...:D

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Now that's a good track!

4. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

Very excited about this album. Based on the opening track and the selection of Sitek as producer, it appears they're heading in a new direction. I was one of the few who absolutely loved Different Gear, Still Speeding but it sunk commercially and Noel's solo album drew some unfavourable comparisons for Beady Eye. The first proper single (likely to be Second Bite of The Apple) is rumoured to be getting its first play on April 29.

5. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I think Noel's album made them realize they had to step up their game.

Those unfavorable comparisons weren't entirely unwarranted. While a decent album Different Gear, Still Speeding was more a flash, surface style album than Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. The songs worked kind of like sugary snacks - they got the job done, but there wasn't really much to them after that. I enjoyed the former for what it was, until I heard the latter, and then I realized what I was missing.

Regardless their reasons for the change in direction, one can only hope it means better things ahead. There's nothing wrong with that.

Carserguev likes this.
  6. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

this......

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm not sure how much of a change of direction or stepping up of their game this is: according to the band themselves on NME.com, "Flick of the Finger" dates back to 2004 and was originally written for a cancelled Oasis EP.

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I like the album art. Haven't heard the new track yet.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Looking forward to it.

Different Gear was respectable, but coming from a band with an almost unparalleled string of brilliant singles, it had virtually no essential tracks...13 decent mid-level pub rockers, but nothing you really needed to hear again. I'm hoping this one will be a bit more...vital.

10. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

I wasn't too keen on it at first but it has really grown on me, it has a sort of iconic feel. It is apparently from a Nova Magazine shoot by Harry Peccinotti who shot the famous Pirelli calendars of the late sixties. I assume the band will have a tactically placed sticker on the album cover when it is sold in some retailers...

11. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Oasis have done two great albums and several amazing singles in their first years and then they ran out of steam. Since then it's the same again and again...the press always writes "the new album is the best since Morning Glory..." and it turns out it isn't. I also fell for the hype and bought both Noel's and Beady Eye's albums, that were praised to heaven. But unlike those first two Oasis albums it was just hot air, sounding great at first listen but in the end nothing remains....

George P and Fullbug like this.
  12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Nonsense.

Jeff Minn likes this.
  13. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

What a reply.....so why then did Beady Eye have to perform "Wonderwall" at the Olympics, if their later stuff was so great?

14. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

The same reason McCartney played Hey Jude and the Spice Girls played Wannabe. It's Liam's most famous tune and a significant hit in British music history. Beady Eye could have three #1 hits off this new album and Liam would still be the guy who sings Wonderwall.

MasterGlove and DJ WILBUR like this.
  15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I liked their first album and we can spend the rest of this decade comparing them to Oasis and saying they fell short. Yes, Oasis was big with those first 3 albums and those days are gone forever, they are never going back.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Cool.
    I liked the first album.

17. I'm pleased The World's Not Set In Stone is lined up to be a bonus track: I worried for a while that it had been cast aside completely, though I'm more concerned Liam Gallagher in particular has now disowned the first Beady Eye album... perhaps it was too much like Oasis rather than the huge leaps that his brother Noel's been taking (especially what I've heard of the supposedly ill-fated collaboration with Amorphous Androgynous, which is an album I'd still love to hear in full)?

Also, why is it that both sides of the post-split groups talk about making distance between their new work and old band, yet continue mining outtakes for "fresh" material? Similar to the countless posts here of a theoretical Beatles album following Abbey Road made up of 1970-1 era solo recordings, it's possible to create one final Oasis masterpiece using tracks Beady Eye and Noel's High Flying Birds wrote - some even fully recorded or at least soundchecked - in the final years under their previous guise together.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

See - and that's what I said - the first two Oasis albums were outstanding and had their greatest songs - and then they ran out of steam. Btw..Noel was asked first but didn't want to do it.
    McCartney played "Hey Jude" because of the singalong character for the crowd, it's not his most famous tune.

19. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

there was one gem: "For anyone". a really top song. sounded like a La's b-side.

DJ WILBUR and Cozzie like this.
  20. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

I don't expect anything either Gallagher brother does to match up to those first three albums (yes, I love Be Here Now as well), but those albums are absolute classics. I don't buy Dylan albums expecting another Blood on the Tracks either.

Off topic: Hey Jude is not McCartney's most famous tune??

21. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

that's the problem with this forum... any excuse to discuss the eternally mundane Beatles questions :D

MasterGlove, red corner and DJ WILBUR like this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yesterday.

alexpop likes this.
  23. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

"For Anyone" sounded like Paul Simon's "Mother and Child Reunion" to me!

24. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

I'm hoping for a better album this time around. I've heard that both "Different Gear" & "NGHFB" were a lot of old Oasis songs that never saw the old albums.

I for one LOVED Oasis' final album "Dig Out The Soul" and was excited for the next incarnation. On the other hand, I had always wanted to hear a solo Noel album, I truly like his voice better than Liam's.

I think I may have liked "Different Gear" better if they would just lay off on the reverb. It was hard to listen to some of the songs.

25. Five Star Edge

Five Star Edge Forum Resident

Japan edition will have two additional bonus tracks: "Girls in Uniform" and "Evil Eye" (so this version will have 17 tracks in total)

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.