Bear Family to issue Chuck Berry and other Chess artists box set(s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by signothetimes53, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member Thread Starter

From the Facebook group "The Real Blues Forum" comes this post this morning from noted blues historian Paul Vernon:

I've just received news from "certain quarters" that Bear Family are currently planning a Chuck Berry/Chess box set. Yes, I know it's all been done before etc, but probably not as well as BF will do it; the point is, putting two and two together, that with Andy McKie having retired from MCA, and aparrantly severed connections, we know that the prepared third volume of Muddy on MCA/Chess will come out, but NOT the second Wolf set, nor of course Sonny Boy, Jimmy Rogers etc etc. Now then; IF BF are picking up the banner, then obviously it's a Kosher Leasing Deal, or it would not be happening; (MCA bean counters; "The Germans want to do it? and give us money up front? OK, no problem..) Can we look forward to BF extending this and putting out really seriously quality Chess boxes? I sure hope so...

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

As long as the mastering is good, I see no downside to Bear Family's approach other than cost. Just hope Jurgen Crasser does not lay hands on this material.

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Well the packaging will be great, but 87 minute CDs and overly bright mastering do not interest me:thumbsdn:

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not interested in more Chuck Berry (I have more than enough), but a Sonny Boy Williamson II box with his 1950s and early 1960s material would be very nice - if the mastering is good, that is; Bear Family's reputation has suffered quite a bit in that department these last few years, especially with Mr Jürgen Crasser doing the masterings.

Carserguev likes this.
  5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I need to pick me up some CB.

Darryl

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I would love to have a Bear Family COMPLETE Etta James CHESS/Argo/Cadet box!

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Unless there is a treasure trove of unreleased studio Berry material that is not on the Hip-O box sets, I probably can't be bothered.

8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yeah, I gotta say I'm happy with the three Chuck Berry Boxes on Hip O Select and most Berry fanatics will have already bought those. Since I've heard that BF doesn't make a lot of profit off of their sets I'm wondering if this is really worth their while.

Now, since Hip O Select didn't go farther than '60/'61 with Bo Diddley (except for that live album from '63) I'd definitely be interested in more Bo.

bonus likes this.
  9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I believe the plan may be for a Bear Family Complete Chuck Berry box including his recordings for other labels (Mercury & Atco) as well as Chess. I think I'm content with Hip-O Select's first two volumes.

melstapler likes this.
  10. Trainspotting

That would be something like fourteen CDs.

11. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Bear Family are currently estimating the content of the Chuck Berry box as 11 discs with studio tracks (officially released albums and singles), 5 discs with live concerts, and 4 discs with outtakes and previously unreleased recordings.
    It'll come with a massive book as usual - they've acquired the archive of the photographer who shot all of Chuck's promo pics in the 50s, with lots of fabulous, unseen outtakes.

The Killer likes this.
  12. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

It would be great if Bear Family will make a complete Etta James box of her chess, chadet and argo stuff, too! I think it's really time for it.

Hep Alien, John D. and pghmusiclover like this.
  13. darling

darling Senior Member

Recent announcements seem to indicate the box will contain sixteen discs, four discs less than Mychael suggests. Does this mean the four discs of outtakes and unreleased recordings did not make the cut? If so, will these be on a separate release? (If not, what else is missing?)

Has anyone found (or can anyone divulge) a more detailed tracklisting?

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Jürgen Crasser died last year (2013). Whatever one thinks of some of his work, it's always sad when someone dies.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sad about Jurgen Crasser's death. Hope the mastering on this set is well done.

16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Their costs to manufacture their box sets must be crazily high because they are really expensive. I remember when the first Everly Brothers set was around $200 if not more....for 3 CD's and a book!

melstapler likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Don't forget that the Bear Family label is located in Germany; shipping across the pond is one of the factors that make their sets so expensive at your end. Tax and duty may also be payable. That said, they are indeed not cheap here either.

18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

What are some examples of this?

19. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I collected the various Charly box sets of key Chess artists when they came out. Back then, their shady business were not as well known, and these sets were the only way to get much of this great music. Although not complete by any means, there were sets for Muddy, The Wolf, Sonny Boy (II), Little Walter, Chuck and Bo. I've appreciated the improved sound from the Hip-o boxes - compared to Charly, although there are some outtakes not included in the Hip-o sets. It would be nice if Bear Family did some box sets, but they would have to be really special, IMHO. I'm about full up with Chuck Berry.

20. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Here's more info from a Bear Family press release: "The 16 disc include: Every single and LP track, starting with a rare pre-CHESS single from 1954 with Joe Alexander! All the celebrated and legendary CHESS singles and album cuts from 1955 to 1966 and from 1969 to 1974. All the MERCURY recordings, and the ATCO album. Every surviving alternate take is included as well. Classic live recordings, starting with the Camel Rock ‘n’ Roll Dance Party in 1956, including the Newport Jazz Festival, the Walled Lake recordings with the MOTOWN rhythm section, the Fillmore recordings with Steve Miller, the Toronto Rock ‘n’ Roll Revival from 1969, the Lanchester Arts Festival from 1972 (featuring Chuck’s biggest hit, My Ding-a-Ling), and BBC recordings from 1964 and 1972."

(Included are also some Chess-era sessions that were not on the Hip-O boxes.) I guess a full track listing will be revealed soon.
    New mastering for the set was done by Marcus Heumann (studio recordings) and Chris Zwarg (live tracks).

(BTW, my first estimation was a year ago, when they were still in research, and licensing had just begun.)

melstapler likes this.
  21. darling

darling Senior Member

Wow - this Bear Family box sounds pretty definitive - even for people who already own the Hip-O sets. Hopefully it will pick up the stray takes of Johnny B Goode, Sweet Little Sixteen, Anthony Boy, La Juanda and more. Time to start saving.

22. djej

djej Forum Resident

There are some pictures of what the set will look like on Bear Family's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bear-Family-Records/147398858903

Looks like they are doing a limited version that will come in a full-sized guitar case also.

Mychael Gerstenberger also mentions in a comment on there:
    "The Bear Family set includes the complete Chess, Mercury and Atco recordings, including unreleased tracks (that were not on the Hip-O boxes), rarities from the 50s/60s/70s and several complete live concerts. And two hardcover books."

23. Trainspotting

Ooh, if the Bear Family Chuck box contains all the Mercury stuff then I may have to sell my Hip O Select boxes and splurge.

howlinrock likes this.
  24. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

+1 That special edition guitar case is sweet.

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I second this. I would love to have all of Etta's Chess/Cadet/Argo recordings all together in one place!

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.