Bear Family to issue Chuck Berry and other Chess artists box set(s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by signothetimes53, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Soundwise, the Hip-O Select sets were excellent. The packaging Hip-O used was frustrating, but there weren't other options available at that time. For overall quality and dollar value, the Bear Family box set is the best option. I could go on all day about the Bear Family set, which truly is a work of art. Although it's a non-issue for me, I should note that the book is slightly smaller, at least when compared to the books included with the Ray Price or the Lefty Frizzell sets. My uncle is 79 years old (Chuck Berry was his favorite) and I recently bought him a copy of the Chuck Berry Bear Family box set for $90. That is an incredible deal for such a recent release. If I find another copy at a good price, I will notify you immediately or grab it if you want.

gss, JoeRockhead, Clanceman and 3 others like this.
  2. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

where can I get a set for $90?

Jimmy B. and melstapler like this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I've had the 50s Hip-O Select set for quite a while, and recently decided to pick up the 60s and 70s sets given that the supply of Hip-O titles is starting to dry up after the label was shut down last year. I realized that both could be had for around $40 each with a little patience, and figured that would be a much cheaper option than the Bear Family set. If I'd run across a copy of the BF set for $90, I'd almost certainly have opted for it instead.

4. melstapler

That one had a damaged box, but the discs were brand new/unplayed. I paid close to $200 for my copies, so buying a 3rd copy only made sense. The pre-order limited edition with the Gibson case was a little pricey, but looked very nice.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

I wrote Bear Family some years ago to release the complete chess recordings of Etta James. But nothing happened. They answered me that they will not get the licence from universal.

Hep Alien and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

Etta James is excellent. I agree, Bear Family would do the best job in releasing a comprehensive box set. However, I'm happy that Etta's back catalog has been treated with more respect than most artists from that era, especially when you consider how many remain poorly represented.

As these classic recordings continue to increase with age, it's becoming an uphill battle to keep so many recordings in print, while making them available to younger audiences. If younger generations are not exposed to this classic music, it will be nearly impossible for this music to live on when very few know it exists in the first place. In some ways, we are the resistance and we will continue to arm ourselves with the knowledge and history of this great music.

Hep Alien and John Fell like this.
  7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

If anyone really wants the guitar case and magnetic key holder, Bear Family is selling a few copies of the deluxe edition without the signed certificate at a lower price.

Rock And Roll Music - Any Old Way You Choose It - The Complete Studio Recordings ... Plus! (Guitar case edition) | Bear Family Records »

My smallest wish for Etta James is that Ace/Kent Records will reissue her early-60's albums with bonus tracks as they've done with her mid/late-60's ones. The first half-decade of her Chess legacy is a bit of a mess.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  8. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I have only a couple Bear Family CDs in my collection, acquired before I joined the forums and learned what was special about this label.

The only box set I've ever taken the plunge on was this Chuck Berry box (not the guitar edition.) Wow, what a set! One of the finest cd collection box sets I own.

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Oh, and I must thank @John Fell - without his pm of gentle urging, I wouldn't even have this box. :tiphat:

melstapler and John Fell like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

:cheers::tiphat::righton: You're welcome brother!

The Killer, melstapler and Clanceman like this.
  11. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I agree wholeheartedly. The Bear Family sets are exquisite. I only have about five of them, and the Chuck Berry set is the most elaborate of them all.

melstapler and Clanceman like this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Damn, you guys have had me planted in front of my system, ignoring everything & everyone since 5:00 pm....& it's now 11:23! Chuck Berry box bonanza. Been pouring over the books again as well.

Signed, hopeless music addict - glad I have company on here.

13. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Thanks for this list. I got my set around Christmas (LOVE IT) and am going to see what I can do about putting together an addendum via Tidal. They've got the Hip-O sets available.

ralphk and gss like this.
  14. gss

gss Forum Resident

Anyone ever take the time to compare these masters to those of the old Chess cd box set?

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I think that @John Fell spoke to this, or could speak to this. I don't own it.

*Curious as to how many have been digging into this over the past few days. What a mind blowing box set. What a life & a career. Been gazing at the photos & reading the books as well.

Hope all that want this set can get it for a reasonable price. It's too bad that resellers mark sets like this up to ridiculous levels as they are now.

RIP Chuck Berry

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually have never owned the Chess Box. I used to the have the old Charly red box of the complete Chess Chuck Berry recordings but I sold it when I picked up the Bear Family box set.

gss and Clanceman like this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Sad that Chuck is gone, but the single greatest recommendation of a music purchase I would not have normally made is this one.

Thanks again X 1,000,000 John.

John Fell likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You're welcome @Clanceman ! :righton:

Clanceman likes this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Bear Family still has some of these sets.

I own a lot of box sets. The Rolling Stones Mick Jagger signed book edition of "Brussels" may be the only one I cherish more, & that sentiment held long before the legendary Chick Berry passed.

Surprised you can still obtain a new copy at all. These sets were (shamefully) going for around $8-900 in the days after his passing. Back down to reasonable original retail pricing again.

Not sure if Ernie B's has any, but Bear Family through Amazon US is under $400. Worth every penny of that. A lifetime of joy. Get one....you will not regret it.

Electric Sydney, John Fell and Reader like this.
  20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

*Chuck :rolleyes:

SteveFff likes this.
  21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No spelling police around and we knew who you meant.

Clanceman likes this.

22. I have the Chuck Charly Red, always regret not getting the Bo one. How much did you get for it?

John Fell likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I can't remember because I traded in enough other stuff with it to get the Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe Edition with some credit left over.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I missed out on the Bo box as well. I had the Chuck box and I have the Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Jimmy Reed and John Lee Hooker boxes that they put out.

Imagine70, Clanceman and zphage like this.
  25. gss

gss Forum Resident

Wow. Currently at $254.00 on the Bear site.

Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.