Bear's Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band-Fillmore East, February 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is the second release from The Owsley Stanley Foundation "Bear's Sonic Journals" series. The OSF facebook page says: "Mastered from scratch...all of the material we could find from all three nights will be available in various formats."

This Amazon listing shows a 1 CD version but based on the above quote from OSF there may be a box set as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Fillmore-Eas...1_663?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530076509&sr=1-663

[​IMG]

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Would this be a reissue of this CD? I have this CD and the SQ is good but not the best. Nice to see that it'll be back in print though. Wonder if the SQ will be improved?

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. Kevin55

That was asked on their FB page and they replied: "Same shows. Better technology. Mastered from scratch. More material -- in fact, all of the material we could find from all three nights will be available in various formats."

jay.dee, Olompali and Bill Mac like this.
  4. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

This is simply wonderful. I have had that Dick's Picks Allman Brothers 1970 show for years and it is incredible. I would love to see what a new mastering can do, as my CD is a little light on the low end. The music from all three nights would be a real treat!

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's good news. Although I can't recall seeing the term "mastered from scratch" before. Could they have meant "mixed" from scratch?

6. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

Not at all likely remixed as Bear’s tapes are two-track soundboard recordings.

7. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I've got the original release, so for me it'll do for now, but I'll go for any additional material they come up with.

ARK likes this.
  8. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

100% IN

rockclassics, shepherdfan and Daryl M like this.
  9. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Great news! Let's keep those Allman archives rolling!

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Would be in for a box set. Mastered from scratch has me worried. Hopefully doesn't mean a compressed ear bleeder.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. I'll wait till some SH members have had a chance to give it a listen and post their thoughts.

12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Awesome! I bought the original Dick's Pick's Feb 1970 ABB disc back when it was released and have always wanted to hear more from those reels.

I enjoy the Big Brother/Janis Carousel Ballroom '68 show from the Bear's Journals, so I'm looking forward to this.

Myke likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm on their Facebook page, and not seeing this post anywhere. Please provide a link. Thank you.
    EDIT : FOUND IT !!!!!

Previously unreleased DUANE, no matter the SQ is TOP PRIORITY here, and Amazon of course, can't be trusted to get the details right, so I NEED to give these folks my money ASAP. :winkgrin:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  14. Myke

ianuaditis and Wounded Land like this.
  15. What’s the first release in the series?

16. Myke

Doc & Merle Watson. Follow the links.

Kevin55 likes this.
  17. Kevin55

18. Wasn't there also a Janis Joplin and Big Brother set that was released whilst Owsley was still alive?

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

20. Myke

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

My guess is this will be primo. The Doc and Merle box was incredible

Wounded Land and mando_dan like this.
  22. Myke

Your post > Discogs > Search Here where I read Kevin Gray cut the lacquers in 2012 : Big Brother & The Holding Company featuring Janis Joplin - Live At The Carousel Ballroom 1968 > and the best price for it is at Import CDs !!!

Passing temporarily for now, as I'm focused on this Allmans set. I asked Willie Perkins has he heard anything ( how cool is it to have always bunked with Duane on the road ? ) but this was news to him.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

While nothing is "impossible", it is pretty much impossible that this will be overly compressed. These releases are dedicated to Bear's recordings and his recording philosophy.

wrat, bmoregnr, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  24. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Love the idea but good Lord. That cover looks like it should be in a '90s head shop.

Fender Relic, mpayan, clhboa and 4 others like this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What is the set/song list for this release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.