Beatle bootleg: Peace of Mind

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

This song, Peace Of Mind, has driven me nuts for years. I have it on the Strawberry Fields Forever bootleg (Nems Record Limited). Is this really them? There is no mention of this song in the Lewisohn book. It sounds like them, but the quality is horrible.
    Anyones help would be appreciated regarding the history of this song.
    Thanks

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

It's not them but I'll have to dig out the gory details.

mud-

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It sounded so much like the Beatles it even fooled the bootleggers!! Kinda like what happened with Ant Bee's version of 'Do You Like Worms' on one of those SMiLE boots.

4. Dave D

Mud, I'd appreciate the gory details!
    Thanks for the info so far guys
    dd

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It was a tape sent to Apple when they solicited contributions to their fledgling label in early 1968. It was discovered in the Apple trash bin in 1970, no doubt after an Allen Klein housecleaning. With no attached note, the most that could be guessed was that you-know-who were involved.

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

A compilation album entitled Supertracks proved not to be so super, as the supposed Beatles outtake "Peace Of Mind" (allegedly recorded Jun 67 and found in a garbage can in 1970!) turned out to be merely some stoned bootleggers with a tape recorder and too much time on their hands. When the inevitable Peace Of Mind album came out, it at least offered up two new songs from the amazing 16 Jul 63 Pop Go The Beatles - "Lend Me Your Comb" and "Carol" - in abysmal sound quality.

http://www.smackbomb.com/beatles/misc_bootleghistory.html

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

So why does it sound so 'orrible? The only way I could make something sound like that would be to dub it down to about 100 generations!

8. Dave D

thanks......you learn some new in Beatle-land everyday!

9. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Thanks Mud that was quite interesting and I've bookmarked that page for future reference.

This does pose another question though about this same song. Was it also called Pink Litmus Shirt and possibly even another title??

10. Dave D

Terr,that's right...I remember two other titles....Pink Litmus Paper Shirt, and one that Ringo supposedly did called I Should Like To Live Up A Tree......what's the deal with those? Same thing?

11. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I was getting stuff from across the pond from some guy in Italy and he had this same song though some versions of it sounded better and or edited a bit differently. I asked him about it's authenticity and he said yes it was them.

Somehow it just didn't sit well with me, the same as I was so glad to read about the L.S. Bumblebee bootleg I had that LP back in College and I was also led to believe that it was John and Yoko's their part of what was to be the 1970 Fan Club Christmas message. I felt though this again to be true as I was sure it was Dudley Moore on that tape. Also as he was close to George Martin and did work with him for the Sgt Pepper's LP. Dudley was also a great jazz pianist as well as one funny guy. However I did a little research and finally found out that it was recorded by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and I finally got a good recording of that song. Which actaully has like 2 parts to it.

But back to Peace of Mind and it's alternate titles, I finally was convinced that it must be them after I first heard what I considered it to also sound like which is that early demo of George's Colliding Circle's or aka Circles which was done for the White Sessions. So that was my take on my reason for finally caving in to believing it was the Beatles. Even though I had heard the trash can story before this.

12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Those songs never existed. Some writer, I forgot who it was, made up a list of supposedly unreleased Beatle songs in the early 70's and has since admitted to this. But different books have taken the writing as truth and forever embedded the belief that such songs exist into Beatle lore.

13. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The writer in question was Martin Lewis - host of Beatlefest in several cities. He admitted to this fraud a few years back.

14. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Dave (Guydon) thanks for jogging my memory on Martin Lewis' name.

Here's the skinny on all that stuff:

AND HERE’S ANOTHER CLUE FOR YOU FOLKS
    THE SONGS WERE A HOAX...
    (with great apologies to The Beatles!)

MYSTERY OF THE MISSING BEATLES SONGS IS SOLVED!
    FOUR RARE UNRELEASED TRACKS REVEALED TO BE A TEENAGE PRANK!

For nearly 30 years, millions of Beatles fans around the world have been hoping for the release of four unreleased Beatles recordings. Songs so rare that they have been regarded as the ‘Holy Grail’ of Beatles music. Many major books on the Beatles list them as among the most sought-after titles. And scores of Internet websites run by hard-core Beatles fans list the songs and refer to their extreme rarity.

The song titles are:

COLLIDING CIRCLES
    PINK LITMUS PAPER SHIRT
    DECKCHAIR
    LEFT IS RIGHT (AND RIGHT IS WRONG)

But now the Beatles world is being rocked with the news that the four songs never existed! That they were just the result of a mischievous throwaway teenage prank. Adding irony to the mix - the 1971 prank was the work of someone who has in recent years become one of the world’s leading Beatles historians!

And - adding a final amusing twist to the story - in a manner reminiscent of the famous 1969 “Paul is Dead” hoax - many Beatles fans who have recently been informed of the hoax still seem reluctant to believe that the songs don’t exist!

Hollywood-based British humorist and TV personality - MARTIN LEWIS - who is also a widely acknowledged Beatles authority - has confessed to being the culprit. The confession is the centerpiece of his new autobiographical one-man show (aptly titled “Great Exploitations!”) which received its world premiere in a Los Angeles theater on Saturday January 9, 1999.

In the wryly-comedic reminiscence, Lewis reveals how as a very young music journalist in London in the early ‘70’s - he inserted the titles of four of his own Beatle-esque teenage compositions into an otherwise scholarly article on Beatles rarities he wrote for a respected British music periodical - Disc & Music Echo. His action at the time was just a little fun - and a way to pad out an article which he felt needed more song titles. He never anticipated what would follow.

But that throwaway gag has grown into a monster that won’t go away. Many years later Lewis discovered that other writers and authors had incorporated the erroneous information into their own listings of rare unreleased Beatles tracks. Several books have featured fictitious embellishments to Lewis’s original information - mentioning instrumentation and recording dates! One respected author’s Beatles book - which boasted chapter titles named after Beatles rarities - used three of Lewis’s fake titles as chapter headings!

Stephen Peeples - a very respected producer and researcher of “The Lost Lennon Tapes” - a Yoko Ono-sanctioned American radio series documenting unreleased John Lennon material - told Lewis that he had spent 5 years searching through Lennon’s unmarked tapes looking for one of the elusive songs - “Colliding Circles”!

Adding further mischief to the mixture, Lewis was indirectly responsible for planting additional ‘clues’ just two years ago - which further convinced fans of the existence of the fake songs.

Humorist Lewis (who in the 70’s and 80’s produced all the “Secret Policeman’s Ball” movies, shows and albums with Monty Python) conceived and executive-produced the 1996 reunion of Python-esque Beatles spoofsters - The Rutles. Their lampoon of the Beatles “Anthology” albums - “Archaeology” - was written by chief Rutle and Python songman, Neil Innes. Knowing of Lewis’ playful 1971 fabrications - Innes paid tribute to the jape by incorporating the titles of the four long-sought-after Beatles tracks into the lyrics of one of the album’s most mysterious songs - “Unfinished Words”.

Since all the Rutles’ songs (since their 1977 debut) have always affectionately played off real Beatle songs, titles and lyrics - this mischievous act perpetuated the mythology.

Lewis decided to reveal his 28 year-old teenage prank when he was commissioned to write and perform an autobiographical one-man show for a prestigious Los Angeles arts festival. (SOLO ‘99 - The Annual Festival Of One-Person Shows.)

Having first confessed the story to his longtime friend, Beatles producer Sir George Martin (who considered the whole story “magnificent fun!”) Lewis then wrote the show - which he premiered on Saturday January 9, 1999 at the “2100 Square Feet ” theater in L.A.

But Lewis first became aware of the reluctance of Beatles fans to accept the truth of his confession when he gave a workshop performance of the show at the annual official Beatles fan convention (“Beatlefest”) in Los Angeles two months ago - in late November 1998.

“I’d expected the fans to be a bit cross with me for having been responsible for benignly misleading them for 28 years. But to my surprise many of them had a different response. They refused to believe me! The more detail I gave them of my prank - the more they were convinced that I was making up my confession! One or two fans even told me that they knew of people who had claimed to have heard the rare recordings of songs that I know beyond any doubt don’t exist!”

Now that the story is public knowledge - (breaking in the Los Angeles Times - Sunday January 10th) a major debate is breaking out in the Beatles world - with fans dividing up between those who accept Lewis’s confession and those who believe the confession itself to be a hoax and who remain convinced that the songs do exist in a Beatles vault!

The Los Angeles Times wrote that the songs had “worked their way into legend.” The New York Post wrote that “Lewis’ ruse is the biggest Beatle hoax since the “Paul is dead” craze in the ‘60s!”

Because of his long-standing relationships and his continuing work in the Beatles world - Lewis was at great pains to confess his teenage prank to everyone within the Beatles inner circle prior to the story becoming public. Much to his relief - the reactions from family, friends and business associates - were identical to those of George Martin.

“It was marvelous. They all saw the humor in it. Everyone I told howled with laughter! Not that it was remotely planned - but the way this story developed was actually very much in the vein of Beatle-ish humor.. John was tweaking us fans with ‘Glass Onion’ back in 1968.”

Those wishing to hear the Rutles’ contribution to the hoax are directed to The Rutles’ album “Archaeology” - released by Virgin Records in November 1996. The song title is “Unfinished Words” (Track 6).

As the story of the hoax has spread worldwide since it was first revealed in January 1999 - fascinating stories have come to light about how the song titles have impacted pop culture. Some fans have reported having come across bootleg albums from the 1970’s on which enterprising bootleggers mentioned some of the fake titles on the packaging - as a come-on to would-be purchasers. Needless to say the actual songs were strangely absent from the records!

Having discovered that there was a 1968 demo by George Harrison of a song that happened to be titled “Circles” - some Beatles fans made an understandable leap of assumption that “Colliding Circles” was an early version of that song - even though there was no remote lyrical reference to any form of collision in Harrison’s song! (The existence of the 1968 Harrison demo was entirely unknown in 1971 when Lewis playfully ascribed a painfully-bad song he’d written in 1967 to the Beatles. And in any event - Lewis had attributed “Colliding Circles” to Lennon - a ‘fact’ which had been copied by most of the gulled Beatles authors.)

One of the most bemusing stories arises from Lewis surfing the Internet one day looking for his song titles. Having been told that many Beatles fan websites made reference to two of the titles in particular - Lewis was browsing through various sites to see the extent of his impromptu gag. To his surprise he came upon a radio playlist which reported having played songs titled “Colliding Circles” and “Pink Litmus Paper Shirt”!

Suitably intrigued, he researched and discovered that both songs were by a New Jersey-based singer-songwriter called R. Stevie Moore - who has a cult following which includes many influential rock critics. (Moore is the son of top Nashville session bass player, Bob Moore - who played with everyone from Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison to the Everly Brothers and Patsy Cline.)

Noticing that Moore had also recorded several Beatles covers, Lewis made an assumption which turned out to be true. R. Stevie Moore is indeed a major Beatles fan. Like many fans, he’d known of the song titles for many years - and had simply got fed up waiting for them to surface on a bootleg. So in 1985, he simply came up with his own brand new Beatlesque songs based on those two titles!

Lewis thoroughly approves. “Writing and recording the songs was absolutely in the spirit of my original throwaway moment. We fans love the Beatles so much - we pay homage with our contributions to the mythology. Stevie’s “Colliding Circles” and “Pink Litmus Paper Shirt” songs are terrific - and much, much better than the dire originals I wrote when I was 14!”

You can find out more about R. Stevie Moore and his connection to the Great Beatles Hoax by visiting his website http://www.rsteviemoore.com/beatles.html.

Lewis looks forward to hearing from Beatles fans with their own stories about his four fabricated Fab Four songs! Just e-mail him. And to the sceptics who claim that his confession is the hoax and that the songs really do exist - he has a simple message: “Send me the Beatles’ recordings of those songs! Otherwise - you’ll just have to listen to the music playing in my head!”

http://www.martinlewis.com/hoax.html

mud-

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Peace Of Mind. What an eerie tune. I don't think it Beatle-worthy material. I thought that I read once that Pink Floyd (Barrett) was considered the writer/originator of the clip.

16. Dave D

It still does sound a lot like The Beatles to me....especially the part "we'll build things never built before, we'll do things never done"....sounds like Macca and John harmonizing

17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Not even a stoned out of their minds Lennon and McCartney would write or sing such an unmelodic piece of garbage like Peace of Mind. Even when you look at Lennon's albums with Yoko, his actual music (Beatle and solo) was kept strictly separate from his avant garde "experiments" (i.e. there is no mistaking one for the other).

One thing about the music of the Beatles, no matter how psychedelic or experimental it was, you always knew, without a doubt, it was the Beatles.

While we're on this subject, it puzzles me to no end how some fans still believe that the versions of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "I Need You" on the bootleg Rough Notes are sung by Paul and John, respectively. The singer on I Want You sounds nothing like Macca and the drumming is certainly not Ringo but some Ginger Baker wannabe. And as for I Need You, it sounds like an bad outtake from a Bread album. If anyone believes John could actually compose and sing such a song in 1969 while writing material such as Cold Turkey, Come Together and (the real) I Want You during the same time period is delusional.

End of rant.:laugh:

18. Dave D

:eek:
    don't hit me!!!!!!
    I didn't say it was good......just some parts sounded a bit like them......the sound is so bad though, it could be anyone!

19. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I am sorry Dave, my post was not aimed directly at you, even though I realize it could read that way. My post was form of personal therapy after the years I have spent arguing with hardcore Beatles fans, until I was blue in the face, that still believe the three songs I mentioned are actually the Beatles. It certainly doesn't help when Beatles bootleg expert Doug Sulpy, from the 910, also thought for a while the recording of I Want You was Paul and printed such in his books. Luckily, he has come to senses within the last few years.

Personally, I have never thought Peace of Mind sounded anything like the Beatles. I know many people do think it sounds like them, but it bears no resemblance to anything they were recording circa 1967 (or any other time), even in their home recordings.

20. Dave D

I feel your pain....I had to almost punch out a guy who said he got an mp3 from Napster of The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix doing Day Tripper.....my wife had to calm me down. This guy was ADAMANT that it was the two of them together (it was probably from the Jimi at the BBC cd, and some numbnuts titled it as Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles!). It was especially annoying because this guy is dumb as a post.
    :realmad:

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

People believe what they want to believe sometimes... hope springs eternal, and leads to stupidity. On those two tracks, after a few close listens it sounds to me like both songs are sung by the same singer, someone who's clearly not John or Paul...

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Plus, when it makes it to print, whether it's incorrect or not, people will hold it up as proof. I remember Rykodisc's liner notes for their release of that Hendrix "Day Tripper" hinted that Lennon was on the track. Tell someone who has that CD differently, and he'll say "but it's written in the liner notes!"

That, and people don't like to have their knowledge questioned. No one wants to be told that they're wrong.

23. I remember an article in Rolling Stone magazine around 1970, 71 talking about a "lost" Beatles LP. The article was accompanied by a track listing. One song I remember was a supposed John composition called "Zero Is Just Another Even Number". I'd love to hear that song some day, but since the Lewisohn book never mentioned anything about this album, I'm 100% sure it doesn't exist. Like to know where the info for that Rolling Stone article came from. :confused:

24. ascot

ascot Senior Member

There's a book from about 20 years ago that listed every song the Beatles were thought to have recorded but not released. A lot of the stuff on the list was from the Get Back sessions, and we now know that not all of those songs were complete. Some of them are only a line or two.

The list included these bogus titles, too. I just can't remember the name or the author. :confused:

If it helps anyone figure out which book I'm thinking of, this may have been the first one to list the differences between the mono/stereo and British/American mixes.

25. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The article was written as a joke, but many fans thought it was the real deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.