Beatles 1987 CDs - any reason to keep them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like many people, I have a complete run of '87 CDs...some of them are US, a few of them are UK and W. German. Is there any reason to keep these? Do any of them have superior/interesting sound? Do any of them have collector's value? If the answer is 'no' to all these questions...I'll probably give them away to someone deserving. Perhaps they could be 'play' copies for my kids. What are you lot doing?

DmitriKaramazov and deredordica like this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I can't think of a single reason to get rid of them.

3. gilbert green

Why is that?

Sondek likes this.
  4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I have them all in the wooden box which I intend to keep, I was always really chuffed to actually own the complete set that way and just want to keep it for sentimental reasons I guess.

5. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

You have to decide whether you want to keep them or not. (I don't have them since april)

lrpm likes this.
  6. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

I'm going to hang on to them, as they're certainly not fetching much in the used market.

Who knows - they may even gain some popularity (and fetch a few more dollars) down the road now that they've been replaced by the new remasters. Supply vs. demand.

7. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

I've sold my 87s before I got the remasters, and I'm not missing them at all.

Clonesteak and nano nano like this.
  8. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Seems like every time people in this forum bring up the notion the minute they buy any remaster they quickly sell off old versions asap the very second the new issues arrive, only to regret it years later and to buy them back. I know this is less likely to happen with the 1987 versions, but time and time again in this forum people ended up regretting they sold anything. Is it that much of a burden to keep a set of CDs? Even for just another year? I have the wooden box for CD and LP and I intend to keep the old CDs.

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've noticed (locally) a big increase in used copies in the bins.

danielbravo, John Bliss and nodbor like this.
  10. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

My opinion:
    1. packaging - no reason to keep them, maybe with the only exception being Sgt.Pepper which was nice

2. sound - '09 versions are better

3. collector's value - honestly, I don't know, but there's plenty of them, they were in print for over 20 years, maybe Canadian versions of Help and Rubber Soul could be partially valuable

Chief and ceddy10165 like this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

They're on probation at the moment. I've still got many 2009 Fabs CDs yet to listen to!! (Mostly mono ones.)

While I'm liking what I hear in the 2009s (stereo particularly, the "studio era" stuff sounds amazing), I'm being conservative. "New lamps for old", that sort of thing.

John Bliss likes this.
  12. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

How about the West Germany ones? They're not easy to find in my own experience of course...

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I can't think of a single reason to keep them.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was wise to wait until I had the remasters in my possession. I wonder what all those people who sold them the nanosecond the remasters were announced would have done if they had cancelled their release.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  15. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I bought each of the 87 CD's on the day they were released and I see no reason to get rid of them. Mine are staying put. I'll listen to the 2009 discs as I think they sound better. However, as with most Beatle releases, there will be some reason sometime in the future that we (completeists) will need the 87 CD's.

I've learned the hard way, so now I never get rid of the 'old' version just because something is 'new'.

16. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

I can think in one: sentimental reasons.... :)

17. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

They sound better ?

Tim Bucknall and Dan The Man1 like this.
  18. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

No.

Tim Bucknall and Dan The Man1 like this.
  19. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Same here. In fact, I dumped 'em months ago in anticipation of the remasters - I figured pretty much no matter what we got, they were going to sound better than those, going by the press release, etc. I was right, and it worked out well. Sold each one for $7-9 each on Amazon. Doing a small sampling just now, it looks like the old versions are selling for $3-4 each now. Ouch.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

21. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Drink coasters?

nano nano likes this.
  22. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I'm hanging on to these...

Attached Files:

Past Masters, Duophonic, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  23. gilbert green

How about as 'play' copies for the wife & kids...in the kitchen, car, etc. ?

Tim Bucknall and bluejimbop like this.
  24. Unless you're a collector I don't think there's any reason to keep them. The new CDs sound better, they have better packaging, in both cases it's not even close.

I was having dinner with my sister the weekend before the release of the remasters. When we got to talk about the Beatles she asked me "...but I guess you're going to keep the old ones, are you?". But having read the positive reviews from the internet and having seen the wavforms from the amazon samples I felt confident enough to say "Actually, I don't think so. You can have them if you like". When I got to hear the remasters the following wednesday I didn't regret that I had promised to give the old ones away.

Galaga King and Tim Bucknall like this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I really do not see myself every playing the 1987's ever again, except maybe on my boombox at work. I really didn't like most of them to begin with and having compared them to the 2009 CD's, there is no contest really.

I think I'm going to file the CD's away on a spindle and use the cases and artwork for my CD-R "deluxe editions" that I'm making.

I've thought about selling them off, but it's really difficult for me to get rid of anything Beatles, no matter how bad they sound.