Beatles 1987 CDs - any reason to keep them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Sep 14, 2009.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not really.

steeler1979, Dynamic Ranger and Raf like this.
  2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Mine are keepers since they're the only copies I have of the UK albums.

telepicker97 likes this.
  3. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Yeah, the first 4 were bad...

But the Rubber Soul, White Album, YS, AR, and Let It Be from the 87s weren't bad at all.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

One forum resident made an interesting case that the bass was overdone on the 2009 revolver. But I generally lean to the Usb stick versions from 2009.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

That
    That's exactly what I did!

6. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I'm keeping them. Plus, the 1987 mastering of She Said She Said is better than the 2009 remaster.

Evan L, telepicker97 and lukpac like this.
  7. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Yeah, and it's been speculated that at least some Songtrack mixes are actually fold-downs of 5.1.

Keith V likes this.
  8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Very true.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I wish I paid that amount. Compulsion got the best of me.

10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Until I started following internet boards, I never knew I wasn't supposed to like them.

11. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I didn't get a cd player until 1992. I was 21, going on 22, and only had the vinyl and homemade cassette tapes from the stereo deck. When I got my cd player, the first thing I knew I had to do was to get The Beatles on cd. It took a few weeks to own them all, but every time I got paid I bought a couple more. When I had them all, it is still to this day, my favorite sense of completion as it applies to music. Rivaled only by when I had all the Capital albums on vinyl in the 80s. I can't get rid of my 87s because they remind me of a time in my life, where I made a financial effort to own them all and when I first got a cd player. They have been with me through many re-locations from moving and I have always taken care of them for 23 years now. They have a sound to them that also reminds me of how wonderful it was to first hear and own The Beatles on cd.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

To me, TWA and LIB are keepers!

Shak Cohen, kozy814 and Hawklord like this.
  13. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I also turned 22 in 1992. I got the white album my sophomore year of college in 1990 or 91. Kept in the car most of the time and played the heck out of it. When I got the 2009 WA I thought I would sell it off, but.... I just couldn't do it. It had been with me too long. A year later I ended up selling the 09!

I don't even play the mono CD (though I'll be keeping it, as it's part of a set) . It's the 87 or the 2014 mono vinyl.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

lol yeah, obviously I know what you mean. Plenty of other cds I still have just because I never decided to get rid of them for cheap, after I uploaded everything to iTunes and then back it up on an external hard drive. But no real sentimental connection to them. Plus nowadays you won't get much for any cds. If you sold the 87 Beatles, you might get 3 dollars a pop, which would come to what? 45 bucks? If I were to get rid of them, I would certainly give them, as a set, to someone who would genuinely appreciate them.

Keith V and Mister Charlie like this.
  15. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

When we bought the mono box set we took our '87 copies to a second-hand dealer, thinking they wouldn't be interested, but they took the lot. Plenty of demand for so-called inferior copies.

ARK likes this.
  16. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Wow, just goes to show you how everyone hears things differently. Me, I think everything about the mono is superior. The EQ on the beginning guitar seems different and more menacing, the drums have tons more weight, and there isn't that mixing mistake : "....oooooown" before the "I need a fix" part.

Dan

17. surf city soul

surf city soul Well-Known Member

The 09 remasters are superior in everyway. Where happened to the top end on the 87 disasters?

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You mean the top end on the 2009 She Said She Said?

progrocker and Raf like this.
  19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The 87's are the only versions I own, they still sound good to my ears. Though that statement comes with a caveat - they were actually the first and only Beatles albums I ever owned. So if the first few mono albums were not recorded correctly, it doesn't affect me because that sound is the only sound I've ever known. And honestly, if I hadn't read on these forums they were incorrectly mixed, I never EVER would have known.

Dynamic Ranger and ARK like this.
  20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The beginning of the mono mix of HIAWG is good, but everything goes to hell at the "I need a fix" section----the drums lose all high end, you can almost see the faders being moved up and down on the lead guitar--nothing one second (like they forgot to fade it up in time), too loud the next. It sounds like a first attempt, frankly, that was never returned to again.

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

If your criterion in comparing the '87s to the '09s is top end, the '87s come out ahead.
    What he said.

slane and lukpac like this.
  22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I strongly agree about the traditional jewel boxes, and have passed on albums that are not in a jewel box (if it was an album I had to have I'd transfer it to a jewel box). Even a "thin" jewel box is better a cardboard package.

jsayers, Use_Your_Koala and Mike Bass like this.
  23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Some are, I dare say.... better. The White Album and Let It Be sound better on the 1987's to me.

Shak Cohen and Maidenpriest like this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Me, too! The '87s are what I gave my kids to listen to.

25. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Totally agree...I HATE the packaging of the '09 stereos, not only for the digipacks but for how they changed the rear cover artwork for each album...they should've left it alone and put the alternate photos in the booklet inside. Or better yet, released them in a box with mini-LP replica sleeves like the mono set.

ParloFax and Mike Bass like this.