Beatles 1987 CDs - any reason to keep them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gilbert green, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Dr. Psych

Dr. Psych Member

I kept a couple of them. Ditched the rest.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, I checked my 87s. My With the Beatles and Beatles For Sale with AAD don't have the Apple, but my Please Please Me and A Hard Days Night with AAD do have the apple.

3. milk731

milk731 Forum Resident

I've kept all mine that I had back in 2009 and have since picked up a few that I was missing. Money is tight for me and I can't justify replacing them with the 2009's. I did spring for the Mono Box though and that is what I most often listen to.

danielbravo, Remurmur and johnnybrum like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I ended up getting rid of the first 6 once I got the mono box and acquired the stereos. It was more of an issue with me as I have hoarding tendencies and the best way to purge is to get rid of stuff. I wish I didn't but not really.

John Grimes likes this.
  5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I have read a plausible analysis elsewhere on the forums of why some tracks on revolver were better on the 87 release. In general I far prefer the 2009 versions. Especially the usb 24 bit versions

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  6. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I'm generally happy with my 1987/88 Beatles CD's. However, I was listening to PM Vol. 2 the other day in headphones and noticed a bad glitch on Day Tripper. Never noticed it until I listened on headphones. Is this part of the master tapes or was it corrected in 2009?

7. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I can't speak to the "rareness" of 1st pressings. I would say they're plentiful but you may have to be diligent when buying them to be sure you're getting exactly what you are seeking (sometimes vendors use "stock" photos that don't represent exactly the item that they're selling).

I'm pretty sure (again, if I'm wrong - somebody will chime-in) that there is no difference in the masterings of a 1st vs any other pressing of the first four mono 1987 CD's. It's just a cosmetic difference with the Apple logo and the AAD stamp.

Some old threads (may or may not be helpful):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ings-of-beatles-cds-released-in-the-us.15876/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/exactly-what-is-wrong-with-the-1987-beatles-cds.167463/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/west-german-beatles-cds.79707/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/beatles-west-german-cds.28078/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...atles-cd-pressings-japan-w-germany-usa.31023/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/beatles-toshiba-cds-now-available-different.100444/

Enjoy!

Keith V likes this.
  8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Part of the master tape.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I bought my cd's individually throughout the 90's, quite happy with them but did in the end through various reduced price options in HMV get both the stereo and mono boxes, But I can't say goodbye to this set. I bought the outer box on a trip to Australia in the late 90's and packed it safely for the journey in my suitcase. It's still on the side in my music room and I still love the look of it (although the shutter door no longer works.) My son likes it when i play the band, thinking when he's old enough he can have them. No reason to sell and i would never throw them away.

[​IMG]

Duophonic, readr, Imagine70 and 5 others like this.
  10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

That glitch is not a glitch it is how it was originally mixed, and is how it is meant to be !!

danielbravo and Andersoncouncil like this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

I remember exactly the order I purchased my 87/88s in.
    At the time (1992) at Camelot Music here in Florida, the Beatles cds were 16.99 a piece (except the White Album) plus 6 cents sales tax.
    Each single disc came to 18.01 after tax.
    Camelot had a rewards card where you got a hole punched every 10 dollars spent.
    Once 20 were punched, you'd get a free item up to 20 dollars.
    My first cds purchased were Past Masters I, A Hard Days Night and Beatles For Sale.
    That gave me 5 punches for the total spent of 54 dollars.
    A couple of weeks later I bought Please Please Me, With The Beatles and Help!
    That filled up one card (108 dollars total spent) so I got Rubber Soul for Free.
    (Mathematically I still paid 8 dollars for it in the process)
    A couple of weeks later with a new rewards card to start on, I bought Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. 54 bucks again and another 5 punches.
    In a couple of more weeks I purchased Abbey Road, Let it Be and Past Masters II.
    That 54 dollars filled up the second card and I then got Yellow Submarine for free but basically got it for 8 bucks too after spending the 108 again.
    This left me with only having to purchase the White Album in a couple more weeks for 29.99 (31.79 after tax)
    So I spent 54 dollars on four separate occasions and 32 dollars another time to own all 15 Beatles 87/88 cds within a month and a half in the Spring of 1992.
    A total of 248 hard earned dollars as a stock clerk/cashier at a grocery store.
    no way I'm getting rid of them. :)

readr, Dino, thxdave and 3 others like this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

I meant once 10 holes per card were punched.

13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

There is no reason to get rid of CDs right now. The value on them seems to have tanked.
    If you are young, put them in a box and store them away safely. One day they could be considered rare and have a significant value again.
    Look at how much guys are paying for vinyl now.

14. meanoldman

meanoldman Forum Resident

I remember the '87 "Beatles for Sale" sounding so bad that I was embarrassed to listen to it.

schnulli and MHP like this.
  15. Andersoncouncil

+1 to this. I also recommend buying whatever you want now. Most stuff can be had for a few bucks. I've picked up many box sets for under $30...unbelievable! A far cry from the early 90's when you had to pay $16.99 plus tax for a Beatles CD.

16. Andersoncouncil

Is it really that bad? I own it and never thought it was any worse on CD than PPM, WTB, AHDN. Those four early CD's were ok sounding, no great shakes, but not bad.

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I dislike clutter. It's worth ditching unneeded/unwanted CDs to free up some space.

18. You know, I never cringed at the sound of these either... ( :hide: )

I know this should be really taken in total context, but our host even once thought for a moment that "Twist & Shout", from the old CD, played loud over some PA outside of a school was a live band!

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  19. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Keeping all if mine. I did however sell my MFSL Beatles box set, low surface noise but the eq was hideous. I purchased the White mono box set, and the stero cd' of The White Album, Abbey Road, and Sgt Pepper. I did however sell most of my Rolling Stones cd's when the SACD remaster's also the MFSL vinyl box set sold, way bad.

20. I wouldn't, but if you have to think about it, you should keep them. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  21. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I bought the 2009 Abbey Road and did an A/B test against the '87 CD. I noticed a slight boost in volume but little else, felt like I'd wasted my money.

Later I picked up Hard Day's Night and Beatles for Sale in Stereo - HDN is good but I can't stand the 'mistake' on Should Have Known Better (Harmonica part) or the double tracked vocal on If I Fell. Beatles for Sale though was a revelation - the Stereo is really good, my only quibble is the squeaky bass drum pedal is much more evident on a few tracks.

22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

This glitch is quite famous. It sounds like a momentary drop-out of some of the instruments - although there are various theories. It's present on the early vinyls and the 87 CD but not too noticeable through speakers (the kind of speakers I have anyway. ;) ).
    It was first corrected on the "1" album and then on the 2009 re-masters.

23. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The thing is - the 1987 CDs were how I found the Beatles. I was only a teen when I bought them in the early nineties. Listening to Sun King from Abbey Road on the '87 CD is so warm and doesn't hurt my ears - it's weird - the 2009 remasters sound great but leave me cold.

Am so relieved I kept all the 87 CDs. They sound great to me. They are THE BEATLES to me. I feel the same way about the Macca 1993 remasters.

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

or the mistake to the intro on the 2009 A Hard Day's Night, that is the worst thing IMO

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To be clear, the issue isn't some sort of damage or anomaly with the tape itself, it's an oddity due to the way the song was recorded/mixed. The 1988 Past Masters presents the mix as-is, while the 2009 Past Masters has some tweaking to "fix" it.

It's how it was originally mixed. Meant to be? That depends who you are and what you care about. There was a stray noise on the recording, probably due to a punch-in, and all 3 mixes (1 mono, 2 stereo) attempted to mask it. And the "fix" on the 3 mixes is slightly different. What we hear on the 1966 stereo mix is one attempt to mask the glitch, which in effect created another glitch. We can debate whether it's appropriate to make "corrections" 40+ years after the fact, but I don't think anyone involved at the time thought it was *meant* to sound that way.