DCC Archive Beatles-1st press Yel/Blk Parlophones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Nov 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Anyone on the board have mint copies of the first pressings that they might have converted to CDR? I'm interested in both mono and stereo to trade or possibly purchase--any help for the Doc that needs his Beatles medicine appreciated.

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Dear Dr.. I'll let you know when I get that Pro CDR recorder. I have all of the original UK, US and mid-series Japanese Stereos and Monos. Most of my original Parlophone Stereos are Mint- and the Monos are VG++ or better.

3. Dr. Winston

Dr. Winston New Member Thread Starter

Thanks Randy--I'm sure there are others here who would be interested.
    Doc

4. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Randy, could you make a list of the lacquer/mother/stamper information in the run-out area for these lps? There are letters for the stamper and numbers for the lacquer and the mother, if you can read them.

It would be really exciting to actually get to hear a "-1"/low/low pressing of any of those originals!

I am already drooling - and it's not just for turkey! :)

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Randy W., I *need* copies too! :D

6. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Looks like Randy could get real busy with his cd recorder! I'd like copies too. I'd suggest if there's a lot of interest, we could organize a "tree". That is a few of us could make copies for others, etc. Basically Randy could be the "root", then a few could be "branches" (to make more copies) and finally the others could be "leaves". I've been involved in a couple of these and organized one in fact.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good idea, JKerr!

Now heres a question: Would there be any loss in sonic quality of copies of copies? I suppose it depends on the program you use...

8. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I've never heard any change. As long as everything works the way it should, no defects in audio extraction or burning.

9. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Hi Gary- Let's start a Toronto area branch for this project. I have a very good burner and have not detected any loss in making a copy from a copy.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Excellent idea, Tangent! Do you want to expand it to a Canada wide project? As far as I know, the only other Canadian here is Dave in Vancouver.

I can possibly help out in making copies, too. :D

11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I just finished checking my collection. In the interest of brevity, I have just included the lowest of the first numbers on the run out area of each of the Blk/Yellow Parlophones I have (other side is one digit higher). Grading is per Goldmine:

PPM Mono XEX 421-1N M-
    Stereo YEX 94-1 M-
    WTB Mono XEX 447-7N VG++
    Stereo YEX 110-2 M-
    AHDN Mono XEX 481-3N VG
    Stereo YEX 126-1 M-
    BFS Mono XEX 503-4N VG++
    Stereo YEX 142-1 M
    Help Mono XEX 549-2 VG++
    Stereo YEX 168-1 M
    RS Mono XEX 579-1 VG++
    Stereo YEX 178-3 M
    Rev Mono XEX 605-2 VG++
    Stereo YEX 605-1 M
    ACOBO Stereo YEX 619-1G M-
    Pepper Mono XEX 637-1 VG+
    Stereo YEX 637-1 M

All albums have heavily laminated covers and the cardboard used looks very early. The LPs marked M look unplayed (no spindle marks).

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, not be pedantic about this, but the first pressings of the "Please Please Me" LP had Parlophone's ornate black/gold label design (both mono and stereo 1st pressing versions), and "With the Beatles" actually sported an interim style label, which had a design **exactly** like the black/yellow, but with the yellow portion being a kind of "buff" (or "tan" color).

Just being a completist... :)

-Kevin

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Randy,

This is very gracious of you to offer to make Cd-r's of these albums when you get a burner. I'd be interested in copies and I'd be happy to help out with the "tree" method (I have an external SCSI Plexwriter/CD Architect and other good ripping/burning programs).

Todd

14. Ian

Ian Active Member

Put me on the list for those who want copies as well please... My burner and program is rather bitchy and unreliable though (willing to give it a shot on making other copies nontheless). Just let me know how much for copies.

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Ian ]

15. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Count me in- as I'm very interested too!

16. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Count Me in also!!!!

17. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I'll volunteer to organize the tree. Remember that Randy indicated that he doesn't have his cd burner yet. So be patient. Once he's ready, then I could make a posting for signups and I'll gather the info via private email. So no need to post right now here that you're interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.