Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Well this conversation is *really* starting to get good

dustybooks likes this.
  2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

FS Doors, Jimi, Costello, Beatles, Coltrane, Zeppelin, Alternative rock, etc
    Beatles- Sgt Peppers (mono-2014) NM/NM $79

The Beave likes this.
  3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Oh different ad.

Theres one standalone thats 89

4. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Time has taught me, strike while the pressing is hot.
    I did that with the On The Corner metal box, even though it stretched the boundaries of my wallet and it remains my favorite MD box. Not to rub it in or anything. Really.

Stencil and ArpMoog like this.
  5. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

I consciously made a decision to pass on the 2012 stereos and get the monos instead. Much to my wife's chagrin.

6. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

In my infinite wisdom I bought the 2012 vinyl stereo box and cheaped on the mono with the CD box.

ego1jr likes this.
  7. gss

gss Forum Resident

Wow, what a concept. Never thought of that! :idea:

8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

What's "not too long ago?" Crate and Barrel put all their vinyl on clearance last summer and based on the store near me, it's been long gone for some time now...

lightbulb and StateOfTheArt like this.
  9. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yup. The mono Sgt. Pepper was around $12 or so. The Crate and Barrel sale was even posted in the 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' section. I think a lot of us ordered the mono LP as well as other Capitol 100th Anniversary titles. Some were under $10. It was a fun sale!

10. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Didn't they cut new masters for them? They might even have the lacquers intact too

11. gss

gss Forum Resident

I'm sure they kept everything they used in as archival a manner as is possible.

12. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I am SO glad I passed on the stereo box. I only bought one of them individually, the Rubber Soul, and I think it sounds just awful, compared to earlier stereo digital remasters. I did a side by side of the 2012 and the 1988 Wally purple CLJ Capitol - the 1988 sounds much cleaner and more evened-out to me. On the 2012 pressing - Paul's fuzz bass on Think For Yourself, sounds like a subwoofer got blown out. Perhaps my ears are weird, but it sounds inferior to me. Obviously, this is all subjective and based on one's ears, preferences, tastes, and audio equipment.

lightbulb and Bobsblkwax like this.
  13. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

It's not your ears. I can't stand most of that 2012 stereo box. I tried to listen to it all the way through, but couldn't finish. I'm apparently in the minority on this board however. I kept it for the book.

monomusic likes this.
  14. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Too much wax in your ears. Q-tips!

15. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

LOL, I totally agree. I couldn't even finish that Rubber Soul, either. I'm blessed to have a stereo UK 2nd-pressing Y/B -3/-3 all tube in great shape and contrary to what the solid state aficionados say ... no, it does not sound "dull, flat, and muddy". It sounds frickin' amazing. Frankly, I think these 2012 stereo issues are absolutely perfectly fine for young kids or young adults, who are just venturing into vinyl for the first time, or older folks who maybe lost their collections in a basement flood, or got rid of their records when CD's came out, etc. But for those of us whose hobby is collecting and listening to multiple pressings of the same album, just ... no.

lightbulb, marcb, Cronverc and 2 others like this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’m not gonna get really excited until there’s widespread shortages and panic buying of the mono Revolver LP.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  17. StateOfTheArt

I have the same -3/-3 pressing - I love it. It sounds very warm. However, I think this album in particular is better in mono - for that I turn to the 82 Japanese or 2014.

monomusic likes this.
  18. StateOfTheArt

I just think this album was pressed in bigger quantities. I think they projected it would be more popular than it was.

19. Szeppelin75

My 2012 stereo White Album sounds about right to my ears. That is one great pressing.

Isamet and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  20. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Sounds about right, i guess a year? feels like less, but thats probably right

lightbulb and e.s. like this.
  21. StateOfTheArt

Have you heard the 1978 UK or 85 German DMM or hell any 70s German?? Blows that pressing out of the water. No comparison.

22. Szeppelin75

Nope.

But mine is more than good enough for me.

via_atx and Peja11 like this.
  23. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

As if you can't notice by my sig name, I think that just about everything sounds better in mono! One notable exception, would be Beatles For Sale, the -1/-1 tube cut. Even on a lower-end system, that pressing is in a world of its own.

Classicrock and StateOfTheArt like this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I got both the EU-pressed 2012 White Album and the US-pressed 2012 White, and predictably, the EU one blows away the US one.

25. StateOfTheArt

See if someone will get you a needledrop of the 78 - its insane the difference in SQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.